8 Fate for Rat Ogres? You are Joking, Right?

Okay let's talk about the Rat Ogres. Oh vey...

I was sooo excited to finally see them ready to play but then I saw the price and my jaw dropped.

I am praying this is a type because 8 fate is terrible. I would pay 3 maybe 4 but 8???

This must be a bad joke. Legendary you do want people to care about and play your game right?

-Scuba

DTay88

Corporal
Yeah...thats not great I get that it probably took a lot of work but I never even liked the idea of rat ogres in tabletop

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
Okay let's talk about the Rat Ogres. Oh vey...

I was sooo excited to finally see them ready to play but then I saw the price and my jaw dropped.

I am praying this is a type because 8 fate is terrible. I would pay 3 maybe 4 but 8???

This must be a bad joke. Legendary you do want people to care about and play your game right?

-Scuba
Thanks for raising your concerns about the pricing, Steve.

I'll make sure that the team are aware!

We certainly do want people to care about the game. We're very passionate about this.

Honestly, even being a bit expensive, I didn't think they were too terrible for how resilient they are.

And if you really think about it, compare the stat lines of a Pit Fighter to a Rat Ogre. Pit fighters are 3 coins, Rat Ogres are 8.

Stats for my Rat Ogre
lvl 5
Wounds: 11
Move: 6/6
Attacks: 3
WS: 33
BS: 28
Str: 53
Defense: 40
Init: 41
Leadership: 18
Crit: 15%
Parry 0%

*loads Rieklander Warband*
Pit fighters come in different flavors. Armor type, weapons, etc So for now let's use say... the basic horn helm pit fighter with a blade fist (currently available in my Tavern)

lvl 13
Wounds: 7
Move: 4/4
Attacks: 1
WS: 41
BS: 28
Str: 43
Def: 29
Init: 32
Leadership: 58
Crit: 15%
Parry: 12%

Rat Ogres have a massive stride, and can close a gap much faster than most other warriors. They've got almost double the wound of a single Pit Fighter (I say almost... because it varies). You've got 3 attacks base. WS is comparable but not best (never really was with Rat Ogres). Strength way higher than any pit fighter. Higher Defense than any pit fighter except a plate guy. Along with much higher Init to stay on par with most Skaven.

So in coin value, every Rat Ogre is worth 2 2/3 Pit Fighters. Neither can gain experience, so there's no way for one to outshine the other after X number of games.

What I am curious about though is whether or not a Rat Ogre or Pit Fighter comes at a standard level every time even when you first start the game... or if their attributes and level scale to around whatever your warriors levels are. As far as I remembered from the tabletop, Rat Ogres and Pit Fighters never gained experience, so their stat lines never changed. I'd be interested in whatever light the Devs could share on this. Whether or not Rat Ogres or Pit Fighters are recruited at the same level regardless of your warriors levels, or if they're scaled at the time you purchase them.

Ewan Lamont

Administrator
Staff member
They always start at the same level and Pitfighters can gain XP and level up, where as rat ogres are what they are. They will be the highest priced hiresword in the game as they are literally the best thing in the game.

Okay gotcha. I've not used any pit fighters in my Rieklander warband so I don't really know the progression with them.

As for the Rat Ogres, I remember them not being able to gain xp in the tabletop. But what I wonder/worry about is whether or not at much higher ratings, whether or not the Rat Ogre will slowly become obsolete due to the massive level difference between them and opposing warriors that are twice his level.

At the end of the day I am not going to pay what is the price of a whole warband for one character that can be killed. Unless that purchase price also grants it immortality, i.e. the need to never pay fate in the unfortunate occurrence of death or dismemberment.

Also comparing a Pit Fighter and a Rat Ogre is a worthless comparison unless you break down each warband and all of their upgrades, both of their skill trees and the frequency and level of all equipment and hired swords available to them.