9th faction: Dwarf Treasure Seekers

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Perl Fisher, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Skrit9 Private

Message Count:
    As I understand it, a warrior is stunned when it reaches 0 wounds and then put out of action when in takes 30% of its original health below 0. What if that 30% was doubled for Dwarfs? It would maybe do a better job of reflecting them being twice as hard to kill and would also have them be stunned way more often in the early game. Once they start getting some skills they will become hard to/impossible to stun (also similar to TT) and you get some really tough little buggers. If Gromril armor is cheaper, then with the addition of their built in 15 defense to mimic high toughness you could very quickly have some heavily armored Dwarfs who just won't die or be stunned running... er, well, walking moderately slowly toward objectives. I think that would be really fun to play with, it would definitely take a lot more finesse in positioning to protect objectives and important warband members, but that's kinda what Dwarfs have always been. Will Skaven run circles around them? Of course. Skaven have always run circles around Dwarfs. Each warband has bad matchups and good ones, that's what makes the variety so interesting. Anyway, that's just my two cents.
  2. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    I think it depends on the scenario. When playing to the objective, the only scenario where Dwarves will be disadvantaged is the Treasure Hunt. But this can be remedied by using hired swords (hence revenue opportunity for Legendary :)). But this disadvantage is true with any warband that doesn't have someone with the Flight spell. So Sisters would fall in the same category.

Wyrdstone shard can also be challenging if you get unlucky with where the shards are placed. But other scenarios, it shouldn't matter much. Capture/Hold the circle, you know where to go. Breakthrough this is only a PVE scenario so you should be able to outsmart the AI.
    studer1972 likes this.
  3. Algirdas25 Major

Message Count:
    or witch hunters
    shard gathering ,just grab one stone and hide Enemy will gather rest and start looking for you, , kill the ones that have wyrdstone, and profit
    CzaRus likes this.
  4. Erkebrand Major

Message Count:
    I think the way for dwarves in some scenarios the playstyle won't be to reach the objective, but to kill the enemy until he rout's, shooting them with a hidden halfing scout to reveal hidden enemies (using elves could be heretic). This combined with the idea of having a third weapon slot could be nice. Having a melee weapon, and a shield equipped, and a ranged to replace the shield or a two handed in the back to replace both weapons, and being able to change equipment could make them more versatile, and could make them funny even moving 3. Maybe they should also get more item inventory from the usual 4, to 5 or 6, and also have some trading skill to be able to purchase easier rare consumables in bigger amounts. Like 2x1, many times it's hard to find what you need. So you will want to have something storaged.
  5. Perl Fisher Private

Message Count:
    They are here! And they turned out to be ‘Hunters’ after all.
    And if you wonder why they are a “premium” warband, it is because they cost 25 fate, and not 20 (or 10 if you get a bargain) like the other warbands.
  6. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    I expect them to be disappointing but I’d definitely like to be wrong. I’m curious to hear what others think about how they play early on and what they’re like at around 1000. In the mean time, I’ll play it safe by playing Sisters of Sigmar instead.
  7. Enajien Major

Message Count:
    Dwarves are disappointing... but not because they are weak. It's because as far as I can tell they have one army build. A captain for tanking, 3 ranged dwarves and 4 ogres. In beta they had elves, but they were removed sadly. So the only model they have that is solid and fast is ogres. Basically you need the ogres to complete objectives. Then you use the ogres to lure the enemy into your shooting. Dwarves are amazing at shooting and their defense vs opponents shooters is best in the game.
  8. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    They get access to warlocks too for mobility. But the 4 ogre formula is the same with undead (actually they would have 3 because of the vampire but undead really does only have one competitive warband build), especially at end game. I think dawrvescan be successful with more dwarf gunners and maybe a warlock or ogre. Just because dwarves can fight close combat and shoot. They also start with an innate 15 defense so can get a 80 defense to withstand a shootout. The lack of the Ambush skill is disappointing though.
  9. studer1972 Corporal

Message Count:
    Can Dwarves get better armor than Dwarven Chainmail or Dwarven Brigantine? I have yet to see any other options. Helmet and shield availability has been limited so far, too. Tough as nails, but vulnerable to shooters and ambushes with their low Move and I,
  10. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    Yes. They can get dwarven plate and gromil. See my picture in the announcement thread
    studer1972 likes this.
  11. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    So wait.... Are you guys implying that adding four troll slayers may be a poor choice?

I’m shocked!

Honestly, though, even one viable warband setup is very happy news to me. Do regular Treasure Hunters have shooting skills? The TT version didn’t but I imagine it would be a welcome change here. Would adding four halflings be viable? The warband could be called Shrimps of Rage!
  12. Enajien Major

Message Count:
    Yes they all get shooting. They also all get two bonus skills. One for +10 accuracy with xbows and repeater handguns. The other for +10 Strength with Black Powder. Dwarves with long riffles or repeater handguns are very scary. The only issue is they can't see very far because of their low I.
  13. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    Think of it this way. Purchase troll slayers the same way you would consider purchasing freelancers ;)
    Double Misfire likes this.
  14. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    Okay. You’ve convinced me to give them a shot. The first thing I noticed is mechanical engineer doesn’t seem to be being applied. Shouldn’t the strength of equipped black powder weapons be updated once you have Chemical Engineer? Since that isn’t happening either, I wonder if it too isn’t working.

CE67DD6D-CDFF-45DF-9B3E-9E98B29FC117.jpeg 116A19B4-285C-4ECE-80BD-0CC0FAB63A05.jpeg
  15. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    It’s supposed to be on repeater handguns not handguns. But still doesn’t show either. I wonder if it’s because being weapon specific it doesn’t show up?
  16. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    Weapon stat cards update for other skills so I’m not sure why they wouldn’t for Chemical Engineer. Perhaps you have more information than I do but, based on the description, Chemical Engineer should apply to all black powder weapons.

It’s a bit hard to see in the picture but he did have a crossbow equipped when I first added Mechanical Engineer. Since Mechanical Engineer applies to crossbows and repeaters, that should have also worked.
  17. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    Good news! After some careful testing, I can confirm that the bonus from Mechanical Engineer is indeed being applied so only the stat display needs to be fixed.

2C277648-DC03-44CE-A347-EF2076B53C30.jpeg
    studer1972 and Shangular like this.
  18. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    Fortunately, they definitely have more than one good warband configuration. Unfortunately, you may want to dismiss one of your ogres. To reveal sneaking targets from across the map, we don’t actually need a high intuitive warband. We just need one high initiative scout with speed skills. For Treasure Hunters, that leaves us with pit fighters and halflings. I’m using 5 range focused dwarves, 1 halfling, and 2 ogres. With gear, my halfling’s max initiative is 95. That is far more than good enough for a mostly ranged warband—especially when those melee units are ogres.

CDECAC28-4789-46F5-800C-64CFAB57C284.jpeg
    CzaRus and Shangular like this.
  19. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    Agree, after testing with a full warband (mine's at about 1110, doing what I can to keep it as low as possible), I think there are multiple configs. I was running it was 7 people, 6 dwarves and one Warlock for Treasure Hunt scenarios and works very well.

Weapon wise, everyone is armed with skull hammers, my noble has a repeater, 2 dwarves with repeaters and I'm using the other 2 armed with full gromil, helmet, and votive shield (100 defense) to run forward and absorb missile damage. Yes, I'm aware that you can shoot any target, but keeping the 100 defense guys up front adds an additional shooting penalty to trying to target anyone behind them. 100 Defense against shooting is awesome, in one pvp match to experiment, I intentionally just let them sit in front of 5 reiklanders armed with sniper rifles just to see. In 2 rounds, taking 10 shots per round, he took a total of 3 damage lol!

Also I've been debating about using sniper rifles vs repeater guns. The downside with sniper files is that your rating balloons very quickly. Perhaps when I get the whole warband developed more I may switch, but so far repeaters have done fairly well in a shoot out.

The halfing option is one I was considering too, as a key for Dwarven shooters is to be able to see their targets. Unfortunately, an Ogre with almost perfect stats showed up and I was to weak willed and ended up adding him instead. I may drop one of my dwarves to get a halfling.
    Double Misfire and CzaRus like this.
  20. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    I’ve added a Hocland long rifle w/sight and I love it. It really makes up for their low movement. Once crossbows start feeling truly underwhelming, it should be safe for most people to skip straight to sniper rifles without a problem. While I think I might ultimately prefer some combination of repeaters and sniper rifles for my particular warband, only time will tell.

It’s funny but I now know there’s one thing this game always needed but never had: guns with feet! ;)

4A664F12-B30B-48E1-A4BA-E277784A71A3.jpeg