Allow voluntary retreat from start of match

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by DiabolicMessiah, Dec 13, 2019.

1. DiabolicMessiah Private

Message Count:
    Hey there, still new and haven't had a chance to read a lot, so I'm hoping I'm not making a suggestion that's been discussed 100 times already. It seems that, more often than not, I'm thrown up against another war band that is just completely beyond my warbands skill level. Sometimes wiping most of my band out before My first guy can do anything. I get that realistically, things like that happen and it adds some reality to the game, What doesn't make sense is why we dont have the option to "bug out" when its obvious, we're no match for our opponant. Instead we have to wait until our party is completely wiped out or we fail a leadership check before we're given that option. I'm a former United States Marine who served in Panama and Desert storm and speaking from experience, a unit would never stick around in a combat situation once they new they had no chance. Maybe let us have the option to concede from the start. Doesn't that make more sense?
    CzaRus and studer1972 like this.
  2. Enajien Major

Message Count:
    Hello DiabolicMessiah, Once you have lost 1/2 your warbands wounds (pets excluded) you are able to retreat from an option the captain gets on it's turn. Be careful because if the captain is stunned at the start of the turn and makes the rout test his turn will be skipped and the retreat option won't be available. Also note a stunned captain has a penalty on lead for the rout test.

This gives tactics for both offense and defense. If you are outmatched try to protect your captain to call the retreat and use your least desirable models or high hp models to take some damage. I'll frequently keep my captain out of harms way, send in my highest hp models to take damage and once they are low run them away. Try to get low on wounds without losing a model then have the captain call a retreat. On offense vs AI, which will never retreat, you can avoid killing the captain if you outmatch them to run up XP.
    studer1972 likes this.
  3. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    Hello there. Your suggestion seems quite logical at first, but imagine the chaos it could bring. Like in PvP. Someone would constantly connect to a fight with way stronger foes (reason is underdog xp bonus) and simply routing. Free xp in no time, no effort, no nothing. Some of us actually want to fight the battle. Sure, not everyone would use this option, buuut exploiters are there. And you can always force quit the app, it will not load your fight again.
    Additionally, fighting stronger opponent makes you a better player. You will once manage to beat the living crap out of seemingly impossible to defeat bands (like a vampire + 3 ogres, 5 wizards etc.). Let the game teach you through mistakes, by now there is a counter strat for everything.
  4. DiabolicMessiah Private

Message Count:
    Ig
    I get what you're saying. I would think that a voluntary route would constitute 0 xp for the escapee. I'm just getting tired of being dropped right in front af an opponant and watching my entire party get wiped out before any of my before I even get a turn. What's the secret to pvp anyway every time I try to initiate a pvp match theres none available any specific time of day?
  5. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    Nah. You know, the game isn't really popular for its multiplayer scene. Early ranks (0-200) get to fight in PVP quite frequently, but later on it is a rarity. Players usually have bad first experience with PVP, they get steamrolled flat and they ragequit, never going PVP again - not my case. There are several problems with PVP, like VERY low reward. Fighting AI? I could do that all day long without any problem, AI doesnt use any strategy apart from RUSH THE OBJECTIVE/KILL THE ENEMY no matter the cost, it doesnt care if someone dies, AI is good but quite stupid. But REAL brain? +1 shard is nothing.
    0 exp for early rout is legit. Upgrade initiative to move first.
  6. studer1972 Corporal

Message Count:
    My problem with PvP is it is so darn slow.
    DiabolicMessiah likes this.
  7. Algirdas25 Major

Message Count:
    1 restart the game, or hunken down and hide until your morale drop to 50% and call retreat

About multiplayer
    Anybody who tap to play multiplayer, and then disconnect on purpose should be raped with chainswords
    CzaRus likes this.
  8. Sylens Corporal

Message Count:
    I build warbands that have troops in them that can wipe an entire warband if you aren't careful. But matchmaking is usually well balanced. So if there is one troop in there that can do that, the rest are likely underlevelled and under geared. Now, the RNG in this game will Rob you, but I get that in most games. What I hate is being dropped in a match vs a heavy ranged warband exposed and end up losing 2 or 3 models before I even move. Take your time. I play every warband like ambush warband. Hide. Make them come to you, then pounce.
    studer1972 likes this.
  9. DiabolicMessiah Private

Message Count:
    I agree when it comes to pvp, but the balance gets pretty wonky when it comes to bots. When it takes 5 of my 8 units (including my leader) to take out 1 model and leaving me maybe 2 out of the 5 still standing it kinda makes you scratch your head. That being said, however, the very next match can go completely in my favor. I think I found a happy balance. It's just important to keep the blessings going if I'm to keep my best soldiers.
  10. DiabolicMessiah Private

Message Count:
    That or there's never any opponants
    studer1972 likes this.