Are Match-ups Fairer? (POLL - Cast your vote)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Overwatch, Dec 13, 2017.

?

Are Match-ups Fairer?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2017.
Yes! 3 vote(s) 100.0%
No (Please explain why) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:

are-matchups.png

Hey folks!

We've been paying close attention to what the community has had to say about the recent release of Live PvP. It appears that some of you have unfortunately had an unpleasant experience, particularly with matching against far superior opponents.

As you know we take community feedback very seriously, so we have made some alterations to the matchmaking system to ensure that you're encountering opponents that are within your threshold.

PLEASE cast your vote in the poll and let us know exactly how you've found the changes so far. If you haven't had a great experience then speak your mind, that's what the forums are for after all!

Notes for you to refer to:
    - You should only be matched against opponents that are 50% below your Warband Rating, and no higher than double your Rating. For example, if you have a Warband rating of 100, your opponent would have to have a rating of 50 - 200.
    - The underdog bonus is still present when you're matched against a much stronger opponent. We've made sure that injuries and death have been reduced heavily if this is the case.
    - Live PvP matches offer you greater rewards, including bonus Wyrdstone Shards & XP for your units. Make sure you jump into a match and try it out for yourself if you haven't already!
  2. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    G'day mate,

I don't understand the question.

Matchups were fair before, changing the way it's done is only catering a handful of wimps.

The problem doesn't lie in the way the matchups are happening, it lies in the weak attitude of certain players.

Also, what was the point of working out the scaled underdawg XP bonuses if matches will be limited?

Watley
  3. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Thanks for the questions, Watley.

There was no system in place before, meaning that you could match against any player, no matter the difference in Warband rating. The change in the system means that both players will have an equal opportunity, not just one player having a significantly higher chance of winning the battle due to their rating.

I'll be creating another thread tomorrow asking the community what their thoughts are on quitters, and how we can deter them. We have a few ideas in mind for this at the moment, but of course, it'd be good to see what you all think! This is a problem that we will be addressing.
  4. _Q_ Major

Message Count:
    Maybe it's that there aren't many PvP-ers in my range (my rating is ~970), but I have been unable to get a match since the tweak.
  5. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:
    Well my rating is too high so I cannot get paired anymore... I too think the problem is there aren't enough players playing right now.
    TheWizardWatley likes this.
  6. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    I was content with a vaster array of opponents. Perhaps the new tweak is a little too restricting, and could be loosened up a bit.

As it stands, I've had no takers on matches for a couple of days now. I put that one down to being boiled alive in Australia, and most other worldwide players being off with the sleep faeries. Lucky buggers.
  7. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Ah, now I can understand why this has yet to get any votes. If you're not being able to match up against any opponents then that isn't good... not one bit.

Would it be possible for me to take all of your Warband names so that I can relay this back to the rest of the team?
  8. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:

No point in using TheWizardWatley and myself as an example. we are #1 and #2 on the shard count so our warband rating is too high for "fair" matchmaking.
    Overwatch likes this.
  9. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Even so, it's still worth looking into!

Your Warband ratings are quite high, but there are other players with very similar rankings out there. It could be a case of that players of higher ranking just aren't interested in trying out Live PvP, or like others have said, the threshold needs to be altered ever so slightly.
  10. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:

I'm "Orange Blue Blood" and I'm oh so close to reaching a 9k rating.

I still think its just a matter of adding an "approval screen" for both players along with the warband ratings. If someone wants to commit suicide in order to get a very high underdog bonus why deny them? just give them the option first to choose to do so.
    TheWizardWatley and Overwatch like this.
  11. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Actually, my shard count doesn't reflect my rating, I've had almost two hundred dead warband members on the way.... heehee
    Buggritt likes this.
  12. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    I would. Actually, I did, altho I didn't realise what I was in for....
  13. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    G'day Mr Overwatch

Usually I play with The Grand Fubar, trying to stay ahead of belkin, warband rating is only about 700.

I'm happy to slay, or be slain, in my usual way. I'll take whoever wants to battle, dawg or not.

Watley
  14. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:
    Crossing the 3000 shard mark and reaching almost 8900 warband rating there is little for me to do, especially considering that PVP is still being tweaked. I think your 1st place is safe as I'm gonna step away for a bit and wait for new factions to be added in.
  15. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Mate, I've been loving that someone stepped up. I understand that it now becomes a little tedious grinding your way up. Which is a shame, I enjoyed having a fire lit under my arse like that.

w
  16. 10 Snake Gathering Corporal

Message Count:
    What good is an underdog bonus if you are getting slaughtered? A hero getting 6 Xp won't make up for having the rest of the warband taken out of action, suffering injuries, or killed.
  17. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Actually, it's exactly how it works, and you are overexaggerating the impact of injuries. Does EVERY warrior taken out suffer an injury EVERY time? Or are you just the unluckiest chump on the planet and the luck is out to get you?

#Overwatch, could we see the probability table for injuries? This might resolve a few things. There is a lot of constant whinging about injuries from other players, perhaps if they saw how the chances really work they might STFU.

W
  18. 10 Snake Gathering Corporal

Message Count:
    Seeing the injury chance is a great idea. And I understand that it is even less in pvp. But knowing that I might have to deal with a bullying D bag like this punk is definitely not conducive to encouraging players to try the game. Personally I'd recommend deleting this rash of whinging "A player in pvp didn't let me grief them" posts so as not to disinterest new players. Wankley is the reason I'll never play pvp. Nuff said. Last post on the topic.

Pease out!
  19. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    I'll ignore that post above.

I've just started taking to putting my warband rating at the end of the warband name, hopefully some of the less dull players may figure out what it means. This could work as a temporary convention for PvP.

W
  20. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    I try to have 3 warbands in different point tiers . Less than 100, 200ish, and 460ish, my highest. If I don't get a battle w one after a couple trys, I'll load up another ond and try some more.
    So far the matchups seem fair. Imo