Artellery (balance)

Dorsai

Corporal
Hello all,

i just started to "play arround" with artellery... for now i can tell that its a waste of money and time. It is clearly underpowered...

Maximum 10 damage -> Missile do the same
Maximum 9 Range --> Missile Range = 8

Both can take down walls etc (arty seems faster here...)
BUT

Arty CANT move alone
Has "minimum range" in shooting
CANT shoot in the air

maybe creating some extra "abilities" for this unit ? because for now i have the impression to have wasted 28K of ressources ;)

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
What sort of abilities do you suggest then for this unit? We don't have much experience with artillery but if you've thought of a way to improve it then please suggest! Or do you think a simple price drop is needed?​

Dorsai

Corporal
I can think about 2 things...

- Bonus damage against buildings
- Area Damage (plain damage at center, 50% adjacant)

pricedrop i don't think it's necessary if u add one of these... but for now it is just a destroyed tube in my hanger i don't even want to repair ;)

KillerK1ng

Corporal
Just to remind you overwatch and dorsai to show you an old thread post by an older user and his opinions on artillery are quite similar to yours:

The second item I wanted to discuss, which will be less drawn out than the wall defences is the artillery piece.

After using the artillery piece I haven't really come to a decision as to whether it is really cost effective, this isn't gospel but taken from my experience with the artillery unit.

So it takes 22k to research the unit, then costs 750 for the unit when its been researched which I feel is a comfortable amount for the unit because of the benefit in terms of range and damage it can inflict on some units. However I don't feel that the time in which it takes to recruit or repair the unit reflects the unit as it takes 2 hours.

Each time that I have used the artillery piece I have lost it and had to wait 2 hours each time to get it back. I understand that when designing units you have to do the whole give and take, strengths and weaknesses considerations. So the artilleries strengths are its long range and damage and the weakness is its mobility and health. I just don't feel that this well represented in the time it takes to recruit.

Also the damage it inflicts on buildings could probably be increased although this is probably dependent on the upgrades which I feel are a bit too costly to research considering the fact it takes a long time to replace the unit if it is destroyed which I feel may happen quite frequently, I've only ever managed to keep it alive once.

So in conclusion I feel there are some balancing issues for this unit that might need sorting out.

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
Hmm maybe the artillery does need some major work... Though we managed to fix it the first time around!

Dorsai

Corporal
I am lost... his opinion was similar to mine and the price INCREASED? :p sounds... weird :p should have droped ;)

I am using missile and arty often now... and... i am fed up of them. Once they are distroyed they will remain like this. they are just way too vulnerable and slow to repair.

A balance could also be to put repair speed much lower... which at least would enable us to raid more than once each 4hr ;)

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
Okay thanks for that it seems like something that needs looking into pretty urgently! We don't want unhappy customize with their recent unlocks ;)