Augur -> what’s the point?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Cyberaddict, May 28, 2020.

1. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Really: what’s the point of this Hired Sword? She has worst stats, skills and equipment than Novices! She can’t even use a hammer or whip, and no armor at all! And what good will these dual daggers do at high levels against Gromril Full Plate? She doesn’t cast spells. The only good thing about her is that reroll skill (which does apply to combat, but with DAGGERS), and 2 skills that are a bit better for her than others. But these are NOT worth it, considering her disadvantages. I feel I’ve been robbed by LG. Literally. :(

Is there more to her that I’m unaware of?
  2. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    Short answer: blessed sight. Gotta love those re-rolls!

Long answer: blessed sight (an academic skill), glorious hate-based murder (other academic skills), and cleavage. What else could you possibly want? The warband below is rated 3304 and my augur is a level 35. Thus far, she’s been fantastic. Even against gromril, she will straight up cut a fool to death with those knives. Will it last for another 3304? Probably not but even then she’ll be useful at cleanup. She also has a reasonable gold price and, thanks to a customization bug, can GILD HERSELF for FREE!!!

B9BA72A8-206D-4C19-BBA8-01BC44618FA4.jpeg
  3. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    What are those last 3 units? Novices? Or are there some other Hired Swords for the Sisters? Like a Priestess?

I can’t imagine recruiting a Halfling in that Warband. He’ll be useless the moment we get into melee. A Pit Fighter? An Ogre? These are MALE! They so much don’t fit...

EDIT: You can’t gild her for free. It has just cost me a precious Fate point. You should edit your post, to prevent others from making the same mistake.
  4. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    The last three are novices. The one on the left is wearing gromril customized to look like heavy cuirass and the last two are wearing gromril customized to look like ithilmar.

I personally wouldn’t be interested in adding one halfling either. However, adding three halflings equipped with slings is a fine idea; they would be extremely deadly.

Oh but you can! I was neither lying nor incorrect. I’ve gilded TWO augurs for free and Legendary has made no mention about fixing the bug. Unfortunately, you didn’t wait long enough to encounter it. Checkout this thread: https://forums.legendary-games.com/index.php?threads/bug-with-customized-armor.7017/
  5. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    Agree, don't underestimate those re-rolls, especially against an Augur with max WS and attacks.
  6. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    I actually hired a Pit Fighter in my Sisters Warband. He’s the only male in the squad. The girls call him « The Janitor », and he quit conveniently do services for them. :p

I have kept the Augur so far. But I’m not impressed, and if I had to do it again, I would have recruited a Novice instead, and saved the Fate points.
  7. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    I think the Augur's reroll apply to many rolls that are not statistics based. My Augur do a lot more Criticals than other units, and I can see a Defender reroll when she's attacked. Maybe she rerolls Criticals, and forces an opponent that hits to reroll?
  8. Algirdas25 Major

Message Count:
    she rerols all charakteristic test , so yes she relors crits test
  9. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    You are right about Criticals, which is a characteristics on the unit's sheet. Damage, however, is a WS check, modified by Defense (see https://forums.legendary-games.com/index.php?threads/guide-to-combat-mechanics.6729/). It seems to be considered a characteristic check, which is rerolled by the Augur as well. Considering how high damage she delivers with those puny dual daggers, she can't be THAT lucky so often.

Bottom line : Augur is an awesome unit, even at high level. She can't wear armor, and at best will wield Dual Daggers, but those rerolls apply to Attacks, Damage and Crits... *BOTH* hers and the opponent's (most favorable outcome). She soaks damage like the most heavily armored unit in my Warband (who has a Defense score of 75+), and deals as much as the Matriarch with Dual Sigmarite Hammers.