Beginner's Guide

Shangular

Brigadier
There has been multiple people asking on Discord as to tips for beginners to develop their gang. Hoping this would be helpful. Below is a table of the initial skill costs per gang. Note however, as you invest skill points, the cost of each subsequent skill will increase. But directionally, this will show you which skills are more aligned with each gang (i.e. cheaper).
Skill TreeSkillCawdorEscherGoliathOrlockVan Saar
CombatDisarm
24​
36​
36​
CombatParry
16​
16​
24​
36​
36​
CombatExtra Attack
ShootingPrecision Shot
60​
60​
30​
30​
15​
ShootingTrick Shot
60​
60​
30​
30​
15​
ShootingFast Shot
80​
80​
40​
40​
BrawnCrushing Blow
20​
60​
15​
30​
45​
BrawnHeadbutt
20​
60​
15​
30​
45​
BrawnResilient
20​
60​
15​
30​
45​
AgilityCatfall
27​
13​
30​
30​
20​
AgilityDodge
40​
45​
45​
AgilityMove
FerocityNerve of Steel
53​
53​
60​
FerocityTrue Grit
FerocityUnstoppable
40​
40​
15​
15​
45​
LeadershipChampion
13​
13​
10​
10​
10​
LeadershipIron Will
16​
16​
12​
12​
12​
LeadershipInspirational
13​
13​
10​
10​
10​
LeadershipOrder
LeadershipCommanding Presence
16​
16​
12​
12​
12​
CunningLie Low
40​
27​
30​
30​
20​
CunningEscape Artist
40​
27​
30​
30​
20​
CunningEvade
CunningStealthy
SavantConnected
60​
60​
45​
15​
15​
SavantFixer
48​
48​
36​
12​
12​
SavantSavvy Trader
48​
48​
36​
12​
12​
SavantMunitioneer
48​
48​
36​
12​
12​

If playing from a F2P or minimal cash investment perspective, I've highlighted in bold italics my suggestions on the first skills to focus on depending on which Faction you play.

Key skill to get asap regardless of faction: Order but just for your leader. Even nerfed, this is still a good skill and allows one non-leader ganger to activate twice in one turn. If you're Cawdow, get the Icon asap too as it allows you to use Order for 0 action points (i.e. your leader can also activate normally even after giving an Order). Also try to get at least one ganger with maxed Extra Attacks and give that specific ganger Nerves of Steel and True Grit.

General attributes to prioritize levelling up: WS - the current meta has melee combined with Extra Attacks. Initiative - meta, for melee gangs, they will have high initiative coupled with Dodge (thus mostly neutralizing most shooting), Cool - this will save you from those Panics during a middle of a fight that can mean victory or defeat. Best to avoid panic :p

These are just my thoughts if you're starting out and don't want to be p2w. I'm sure others may have different tactics and suggestions as well.

Last edited:

Chronos

Major
Thanks for the table and the advice!

I've been playing with Eschers and Van Saar each of them with different approaches (Escher work quite similar to your approach and Van Saar are BS based but also have some similarities):
* Important note: I just play offline, maybe this tactics cannot be used against other players

Both: As said, order is a must have. One leader/champion in every squad with high leadership + order 2 + high initiative and no weapons. This way you can keep your gang rating low while having another action for the ganger is most needed. High initiative is used in order to be able to choose if that action is made before the enemy or not.

ESCHER:
Gang:
High WS + extra attacks + high initiative (optional: movement 2 + parry + dodge). Initially I focus on three roles that determine the order in which the skills are assigned but once they are all leveled up they have the same skills:
  • Leader: just there to give the extra action to the one that is more needed.
  • Heavy hitter: Focuses on WS + extra attacks (optional: strength). This is the one that makes the killing, with her action and the order one.
  • Runner: Focuses on high initiative + movement (optional: dodge). This is the one that takes objectives, if a shrine must be defiled for example I use the order action on her and with her own movement that means I've been able to take the objective on the first turn.
  • Support: It is something on between previous ones. One thing I've found useful here is giving her a shock whip as sometimes the combat makes it impossible to get next to the target and I need to concentrate my attacks.
Strategy: For objective based missions I usually get the objectives before the enemy can even do anything thanks to high movement + order. For combat ones I highly depend on order + high initiative + delay turn and this works better with good cover scenaries. The idea is wait for the enemy in a narrow place that can be defended easily. I just wait out of their vision until they are close enough. Thanks to delaying actions and order if I play it properly I usually get to make 24 close combat attacks (plus any pistol ones before the enemy is able to counter-attack). I join my delayed actions and my actions from the next turn. This means that unless there is some uber-enemy or the cover is very scarce I'm usually able to destroy every enemy in one single combat. It is a bit of a glass cannon though, it you are not able to kill them or at least kill the dangerous ones and engage the ones with long range weapons you are probably going to regret it as they are quite fragile.
Equipment: As soon as possible autopistol + fighting/stiletto knife. Then maybe stiletto sword, chainsword or even other fancy weapons (and versatile weapon for support role).
My opinion: Missions are fast, I always start checking terrain so I can decide the better ambush spot. Sometimes it is a bit difficult if the enemy doesn't advance but once you place an ambush it is very rewarding when you annihilate the enemy without being attacked once. If you have bad luck, or don't launch the attack in the precise moment you can get smashed easily.

VAN SAAR:
Gang:
This is my second gang and I followed a different approach having very few gangers (in fact I usually just have three per mission) and I've tried to keep gang value as low as possible to face easier enemies. Depending on the role I focus on different skills:
  • Leader: The same as with Eschers
  • Shooter: High BS + Extra shoot + Low Initiative (Optional: shooting skills to improve chances of hitting)
  • Runner: High initiative + Movement 2 (Optional: WS)
Strategy: For objectives missions I depend on the runner + order and the shooter for covering him. For battle missions I just use the shooter with the extra action and the runner as support in case the enemy gets too close to the shooter or for killing enemies (previously softened by the shooter). Low initiative for shooter let me be on overwatch shoot the enemy while they move (slowing their advance) and then shooting twice (or four time with the order action) during his turn. Having high initiative with the leader let me choose whether using overwatch, shooting twice before the enemy moves or delaying the action and shooting four times at the end of the turn. With Van Saars open scenaries are the best (for scenaries with lots of doors I usually use the runner to open them and get good lines of sight for the shooter.
Equipment: Las carbine + monosight for shooter (bolter if you don't mind having higher gang power). Two handed close combat weapon for runner, just to give the coup-de-grace if needed.
My opinion: Keeping the gang power low is key here as it means enemies won't have high dodge values. If you manage to get the power of your gang on reasonable levels you are very seldom going to be injured and you are going to win almost every mission with low risk (other than bad deployments, maybe)

Last thing here, I think this game rewards keeping your rating low as I've found much easy playing Van Saars with low gang rating than Eschers. It is a bit sad as I have unspent XP on my Van Saars so the squad power does not increase, but I think that is the best way to survive and get more credits with fewer risks.

Shangular

Brigadier
I think those tactics in general should work in PvP as long as your opponent isn't using the meta tactics.

I'm focusing 2 gangs atm. One is a p2w gang Orlock that is meta based and the second is a f2p Cawdor (purchased with free credits earned :p) as I wanted to see how much work does it take to develop a gang into the meta if you're f2p. My definition of f2P involves investing 100 credits per month ($3.99 pack). I don't see doing so as p2w as a mere $3.99 a month is a good sign of supporting future development of a great game. Anyways, it turns out that it will take a long time for a f2p player to catch-up with a true p2w player to get the meta build and the price to p2w just went up with the recent update as the cost to get attributes to 90 has increased.

Now my point with this to beginners is that those changes aren't a bad thing. If you're going to be p2w and have the disposable income, the change in cost is a non-issue as you're going to drop the money anyways. But if you want to be f2p based on my definition above, you can still develop your gang and in keeping the ratings low, you will avoid seeing any hardcore p2w gangs. Your opponent's ratings will be 2X yours max. For example, with my p2w patrol, stripped down to using loose chains as weapons, they are under 2,000. Thus if you keep you're rating under 1,000 you will never see them. This is the argument where the game isn't p2w. p2w players will face off against other p2w players and f2p and continue to pvp against other f2p.

As Chronos mentioned above, if you want to enjoy the game as f2p, keeping the rating low is recommended. Those loose chains, knuckle dusters, and damaged level weapons are good for something as even if you invest in skills like Extra attacks, equipping with those weapons will keep the rating down. Also as you're farming credits, the lower upkeep costs from equipping crap weapons will allow you to build credits quicker.

Every player enjoy the game differently, but hopefully this will give a perspective on which path you would like to choose (f2p or p2w).

nahar

Corporal
This is the argument where the game isn't p2w. p2w players will face off against other p2w players and f2p and continue to pvp against other f2p.
I assume ur Orlock p2w are The Nineways. I usually play against those guys sending highly armored squad to Guilders or when I try find smth in Badzones (my Lookouts have Willpower above 400). Of course they are AI teams. For my Goliath gang I've spent 30$ this year. And I've bought Cawdor for some of those cash.

So It is possible to play against p2w team - on those turf without Power status (Badzones, Tech Baazar, Drinking Den).

Shangular

Brigadier
I assume ur Orlock p2w are The Nineways. I usually play against those guys sending highly armored squad to Guilders or when I try find smth in Badzones (my Lookouts have Willpower above 400). Of course they are AI teams. For my Goliath gang I've spent 30$ this year. And I've bought Cawdor for some of those cash.

So It is possible to play against p2w team - on those turf without Power status (Badzones, Tech Baazar, Drinking Den).
Yes, patrol gang is 90'd up. I think the matchup is more that when you get to a high rating level, there are less available opponents in the database to find a similar rating as your gang. For example, my orlock's patrol group always faces the same gangs. I can manipulate this by changing out equipment. When maxed equipment, around 7,300 rating I always face either Ferrous Faustus 6 man squad or Ganjga Smugglers. If I lower rating by equipping loose chains instead of power weapons and bolters, around 2,000 rating I face Dustmen.

Sometimes I lower rating or take smaller groups to try to find a pvp opponent. Only had success once lol! so it seems like there really aren't a lot of higher level gangs out there or perhaps they've turned off pvp. (As a side note to the devs regarding that one pvp match, proof that the loose chain beats bolters :), so please don't nerf bolters abilities as it wouldn't make sense. If you want any adjustments, just change the rating impact).

I assume your gang has a high rating? What weapon sets did my gang have when you faced them?

nahar

Corporal
I assume your gang has a high rating? What weapon sets did my gang have when you faced them?
Redempcja. 3rd place on the board. Nowdays I stripped them away completly. Sold all Bolter and bolt pistols (hate them - they are too powerfull compare to TT version). I use only knuckles, loose chains, shivs, hand flamers, flamers and saw off shotguns, and one combat shoutgun. All of them at max level (Master Cft or Normal). No armor, no extra weapon (each ganger has only one piece of weapon). I did that beacause I played always ur guys, gandjas, or fists. And it was boring.

Till I've stripped them I play against some lower level gangs. Usually I've 1500 Power total

I can check what weapon set ur gang have. I just armor my gang melta and plasma guns.

Shangular

Brigadier
I did that beacause I played always ur guys, gandjas, or fists. And it was boring.
yeah this is the same problem in Mordheim where after a certain rating level you will face the same opponents over and over again due to lack of a available high level warbands.

At least Necromunda has the hideout system. To make it interesting, I’ve split up my Patrol gangers. Also focusing on creating low level groups within the same gang. Too bad we can’t do this in Mordheim without creating a brand new warband.

Hey thanks for making a newbie-friendly guide for people like me!!

Is there a wiki that lists the spread for your starting ganger stats?

Also, is there a limit to the number of times you can train a skill, similar to the Mordheim smartphone game? I made the mistake of leveling some under-statted henchies there and want to avoid making that mistake with Necromunda here.

Shangular

Brigadier
Hey thanks for making a newbie-friendly guide for people like me!!

Is there a wiki that lists the spread for your starting ganger stats?

Also, is there a limit to the number of times you can train a skill, similar to the Mordheim smartphone game? I made the mistake of leveling some under-statted henchies there and want to avoid making that mistake with Necromunda here.
Maximum attribute value is 90.

No wiki as far as I'm aware.

Maximum attribute value is 90.

No wiki as far as I'm aware.
So you can continuously train a value until it's 90 matter what it started at? That's a relief.

I feel like this game's doing a lot of things right, especially when compared to that *other* version that shall remain nameless.....