Best unit setups?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Enrique, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Enrique Private

Message Count:
    hi there just wondering what everyone's unit setups are and what people thinks are the strongest? ie skills and weapons
  2. Marquand Major

Message Count:
    Mercenaries or Skaven?
    Enrique likes this.
  3. Salj Major

Message Count:
    Ive yet to see the best as each faction also has two or more variants.
    Enrique likes this.
  4. Enrique Private

Message Count:
    Mercenaries but i would still be interested in skaven
  5. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    There are a lot of possible setups but it can be summed up by 2, Melee or Ranged.

In terms of skills Melee uses the Combat skills heavily, mostly to just bump up their Attacks and weapon Masteries for the bonuses. The other skill trees can add some bonuses to your movement speed, durability, and some extra damage.

Ranged is mostly just the SHooting Skill tree. Not as many skills help out a ranged build and overall hybridize them into one all-combat character but it take a lot of skills in multiple skills trees to make a viable hybrid character.

But for specific weapon setups for Melee you can Two-handers for high damage, or Shield-and-One-handed characters. Ranged it either the best ranged weapon you have available, or something that can move and fire well like Pistols or Knives. The former is far more common as close ranged missile weapons are questionable as being neither as effective as dedicated Ranged or Melee characters.

Middenheimers limited to strictly melee warbands. Ive seen some archers but as they dont have Shooting Skills their performance is abysmal. Marienburgers are not that good in melee because of their drawback, but I have seen several attempts at Pistoliers. Reiklander can pick any setup you want. Ive seen all-melee but mostly I see mixed warbands using melee characters as damage sponges for long ranged characters to support.
  6. C. Michael Private

Message Count:
    This is not a "best" - but, a "neat" answer:

I started up a Marienburgers warband for fun - and found that the dual, melee pistol is a really cool method. It takes quite a few skill points of investment.
    1. Find a Unit who has BlackPowder as one of their starting skills.
    2. Give them a Left-Hand Pistol and a Knife.
    3. Get them leveled-up twice.
      1. First Level-up - Master BlackPowder.
      2. Second Level-up - Pistolier
    4. Now equip a Right-Hand Pistol.
    5. You'll probably need a little bit of Armor/Helmet gear.
    The three attack combo for such an early play (level 4?) is quite nice. And the more you invest in Ballistic Skill, the overall easier it will be to land the big attacks. Add Hunter when able - and you'll be roaming and point-blank shooting like madmen.
  7. Raptor Private

Message Count:
    I started out spamming archers (I only play Reiklanders for now), but I'm leaning the opposite way now.

Currently my fave setup is (if scores allow):
    - Captain with battle axe and pistol (and decent armor if you can get it), my current one is frenzied with a whopping 7 attacks per turrn (9 when outnumbered) and I'm working on getting 2 attacks with the pistol as well
    - 2 Warriors with 2handed weapons (preferably axes, swords take too many skills to become really effective)
    - 1 Marksman with Elven Bow
    Beyond that maybe a gunner and a crossbowman... or maybe some more melee
  8. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    My take on the game is that the strongest combination is the one that is most fun for you to play personally. the reason is that the path to success is stamina and attrition. Sticking with a warband by playing a warband composition that is fun to you is how you top the leaderboards ;)

Some compositions are stronger than others (full armor vs naked and unarmed....), but if you don't stick with the warband, you'll not get too far!

As for some different flavors, I'd rank them this way in terms of approximate strength:
    * Multiple attacks with frenzy is a friggin' beast. A unit with a two-handed weapon, max attacks, frenzy, and fear is a bloodthirsty tyrannosaurus on the battlefield...
    * Ranged can be very powerful late game, but the grind up to there can be a little touch and go. You may be underpowered early to mid campaign (and the long rifles bill can grow expensive quickly).
    * Stealth and high movement can be powerful because it allows you to set and spring ambushes on your opponent. Any time you can outnumber your victim is a good day. Aim for 3-4 vs 1 to make quick work of your target.
    * I've seen some people successfully build combo warbands where each has their specialty. A couple each of ranged masters, a couple fearsome frenzied melee units, a couple units in heavy armor with massive toughness, parry and block.