Bug: Hearts of Steel doesn't work on Leader

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Trapsinger, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    My witch hunter leader can still fail a fear test while under the effects of hearts of steel.
  2. Oscar Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    Is it just the leader this happens with, and is there a specific situation you notice it occurring?
  3. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    I noticed it because my leader was standing next to my priest who had hearts of steel up, and the leader failed his fear test to charge a vampire twice in the same game. No one else failed a fear test in that game while hearts of steel was active, so I think it was only my leader. That said my leader is leadership 90 so everyone else might have randomly passed. I'm still playing the band so I'll post more info here if I get it. But it's hard to knoe why I passed a test. I can only really see when I fail.
  4. Oscar Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    Ok, did your leader actually have the Hearts of Steel particle effect on him? Or was he not in range to get the effect when the spell was cast?
  5. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    He was there when it was cast for sure but I don't honestly remember if he had the particle effect.
  6. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    Sorry but shouldn't his position at time of cast be irrelevant? Doesn't the radius follow the priest around?
  7. Oscar Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    Ok thanks. I'll take a look and see if anything seems wrong, let me know if it happens again
  8. Oscar Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    No, the effect is applied once to all warriors within the range and then persists as long as the priest maintains the prayer (so until he is stunned or taken out of action)
  9. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    So I've been thinking about this....in tabletop it followed the priest around, because they didn't have any way to mark the other models with the effect. Your change to make it stick at time of cast is fine, since we can track it with the particle effect but...why not make it recastable then?

If you wanted to implement that I think it would be cool, but recasting it should remove the original effect the same that stunning the priest does. Then we could choose different targets for the spell later in the game, which I think would be a very interesting tactical consideration for the spell.
  10. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    Update to the Original Issue:

I've been watching carefully for the particle effect since you said that, and I just had a game where I cast the spell right next to one of my guys, who did not get the particle effect at all. (the model in question this time was not my leader, but my crossbow pistolier who is also frenzied if that's relevant).

Is it possible that this spell just has a chance to miss?

Update 2:

This spell is definitely effected by line of sight (and I don't think it should be).

My Frenzied warrior is definitely immune to the spell (and i also don't think this should be true?)

conclusion: I think that the combination of my misunderstanding that the effect doesn't follow the priest around, and the line of sight issue explains my original bug report. I still sort of think some of those things are bugs, but I was wrong about the root cause.