Bug: Max statline for Witch Hunter Captain

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Trapsinger, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    The maximum number of upgrades for WS and BS for a witch hunter captain is always 6 for WS and 8 BS regardless of whether it was your starting captain or an upgraded zealot. This means that the starting captain's max stats are WS 60 and BS 70 (all other captains are 60/60) so I think the witch hunter starting captain's upgrades should be 6 for WS and 6 for BS like other human captains. But it's possible this is just witch hunter flavor and they are meant to have 5 higher ballistic skill than anyone else can get to, and it might not be a bug.

The other problem is when your captain dies and you upgrade a zealot to captain. Because he still only gets 6 upgrades for weapon skill, his max stats are WS 55 and BS 65. I'm fairly certain you didn't mean for the Witch Hunter Captain to have the same max weapon skill as a ghoul, and be 10 behind everyone else in the game. So I'm pretty sure that one's a bug.
  2. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    If the captain always has to have the same skill lists then you could lower the base WS/BS stats on the starting captain to 20/20 and then have them both start with 4/8 advances. That would give him the same starting and Max stats as other captains, but the same total advances available as a zealot.
  3. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I've always wondered if the max 70 was intentional because they wanted to encourage the use of the crossbow pistol? (but from experience, I still can't do much damage against high armored opponents even with it even having 70 BS)
  4. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    It's not the BS that bothers me so much as the WS. Having the max possible weapon skill of my Zealot go down by 10 because he got promoted feels very wrong.
  5. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    The reason his WS and BS drop is simple: carpal tunnel syndrome. It’s all that paperwork he has to file to get his promotion. ;)
  6. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    I stand corrected. Premise accepted, bug report withdrawn.
  7. Oscar Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    Unfortunately we don't really have any way to fix this. If we remove the 2 extra BS increases then the starting captain will no longer be able to reach 70 BS, but a promoted zealot would then only be able to get 55WS and 55BS. If we give the captain 8WS advances then he can reach 70WS. So your best bet is to just not let your starting captain die ;)
  8. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    Wait...that can't be right.

I can see multiple ways to fix this.

1. Make the upgraded zealot not be a "Captain" give him a new job title so he can have different upgrades. Maybe "Leader" or "Lieutenant" or "Brother". That way the advances don't have to match up between starting captain and an upgraded leader.

OR

2. Make the base stats on a Witch Hunter Captain be 20, instead of 30, so that his upgrades can be 8/8 the same as a zealot, but he would still max out at 60/60 the same as mercenary captain. (if you still want him to start at 40/40, then he would start with 4 increases in each, instead of 2, but starting 10 lower than other captains would make him more like zealots and should be fine). This seems like an obvious solution to me, since you already made Zealots start lower and have the same max as other humans by lowering their base stats and giving them more upgrades. Why can't the Witch Hunter Captain work the same way?

The Witch Hunter captain should not go to 70 BS, that's where elves should be not humans, he should only go to 60 the same as other captains, that is also a bug. But the big problem here is that a Zealot that upgrades to a captain loses 10 points of Weapon Skill. There shouldn't be a penalty for that promotion. This needs a solution, and there definitely are some.
  9. Oscar Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    The first idea may work, I'll need to check how exactly how our promotion system works. The second wouldn't as the increase to 8/8 would apply to all captains so old witchhunter captains would be able to get to WS 70
  10. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    Can you combine the two ideas, so that witch hunter captains in newly created warbands also have the new job title, and start with base stats 20/20, with 4/4 upgrades in each? That would mean new starting witch hunter bands were balanced correctly, without changing the old witch hunters captains. It would also mean better balance in the long run. And it would mean new starting bands have the same starting power as old bands.

Also wouldn't hurt to knock off the extra 2 BS upgrades on old captains. I assume you can do that? since you took skills away from reiklanders, I assume you could hit just the last two tiers of upgrades on old witch hunter captains.
  11. Oscar Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    Yes I think that would work and I would remove the extra 2 BS increases if it did. I'll take a look tomorrow :p
  12. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    "Witchfinder General"
  13. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    I would kill my perfectly good captain just to have a leader with that title.
    Trapsinger likes this.