Bug: Witch Hunter Captain lost (base) weapon skill

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Double Misfire, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Double Misfire Corporal

Message Count:
    Hi there,

I'm unsure if this has happened with today's patch or previously (though my warband rating has decreased since installing the patch, so it looks likely:

My Witch Hunter Captain (starting, not a promoted Zealot) previously had a base weapon skill of 30 and four weapon skill advances for a total score of 50. He now has a base score of 20 for a total weapon skill of 40 with his advances (making the second attack advance he currently has impossible to get, as you need weapon skill 50 for it).

His maximum amount of weapon skill advances has also changed from 6 to 8, in line with Zealots, who begin with a lower starting WS.

My captain's level has not changed, and he has effectively "lost" two advances with his base weapon skill being lowered. Can you award him two advances to bring him back up to speed? :)
  2. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    This has also happened with at least one of my captains. I have an ongoing problem with a halfling warband that hasn’t been resolved so I’m loath to archive any of my warbands at the moment and check the other captains. Nevertheless, it’s probably safe for me to say that this change was made to all Witch Hunter Captains. Hopefully, it’s a bug.
  3. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    Personally, my promoted zealot was fixed by this issue. Previously promoted zealots had the max WS reduced by 10 when they were promoted and now they have the correct max stats.

I think what was supposed to happen to your old captains was their base weapon skill was supposed to drop from 30 to 20, but they were supposed to get two more free weapon skill advances so that their total stayed the same. BS should be effected also, so that their max BS is 60 like other captains instead of 70 like an elf.
    Double Misfire likes this.
  4. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    I confirm. My Witch Hunters Captain has also lost WS (base is down to 20, instead of 30). I hope this bug won't take too much long to fix...
  5. Double Misfire Corporal

Message Count:

Good shout, can confirm that my Captain's starting BS is also down from 30 to 20. Though there are no elves in game yet. ;)
  6. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    Halfling! I meant halfling.
  7. Double Misfire Corporal

Message Count:
    Also my Captain's died twice tonight, which I'm sure was in no small part due to him not being able to hit things. Can I have a refund on the six fate I spent resurrecting him? ;););)
  8. Fistandantilus Corporal

Message Count:
    Yes my Witch Captain just got major nerfed, and it isnt even lore correct, so im not happy, he had WS &BS 40 to start, ie 30 with 2 advances on each...now its a starting 20...this is complete B S for real, the henchmen already are tough enough to deal with really dont need my Captain becoming a low rolled initiate. I found i was magicly fighting really well advanced fodder and wonder why my pistol was terrible before I noticed. Very happy i didnt have to spent for his death. There is no notice of a change to witch Hunter Captain stats, so i want this corrected. Hes far from broken before.
    I play and pay alot...have game on three different devices, ie not same account so i have bought fate for all and warbands on each. Really dont like finding a band im playing for the RP of it is getting nerfed, and im not in the 10s thousand power range if thats were there evetually issues for any of them, frankly this game wasnt made for warbands to go that far, and balancing game for an end game like that sucks. I played the table top for years. You died alot, and that was that, or your band was too deadly and no one would play it, so you started a new one, well after you did some victory lapses.
    Well i went off tangent but im pissed. Glad they r working on the issue of dropping idiots in pvp...might suggest that everyone needs to win a pvp to advance a stage, but it would need to be a near in power one...if that could be possible really improving game.
  9. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I just noticed that as well. Witchhunter captains should be on par with Merc Captains, that's how they are statwise in the TT. So shouldn't the base be 30 for both WS and BS and then have 6 advances? I'd prefer this over have the base 20 and having 8 advances.
  10. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Developers: can we get some feedback on this issue? Were Witch Hunters Captain nerfed voluntarily without prior notice? Or is this a bug?
  11. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    At least he doesn’t loose his extra attacks if you put any points in them before the update. Shangulat is right though. A good way to resolve this would be for Witch Hunter captains to start with two advances and for zealots to receive up to two advances upon promotion—assuming they have one or two remaining.
  12. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    the way this game works, a promoted regular guy has the same "class" as a starting leader. that means they need the same max stat profile.

so what was happening before was captains had 6 weapon skill advances possible, and 8 BS advances possible. Starting captains got two of each to begin, putting them at starting WS/BS of 40/40, and max of 60/70, which is five more BS than anyone else in the game, and 10 more than other captains, which was a bug. The other problem was that promoted zealots also had a max of 6/8 advances in WS/BS because they were same "class" of "captain", but before they were promoted they were 8/8 so a promoted zealot LOST 10 weapon skill on promotion. That was the other bug.

The change makes it so that the max stats of a starting captain are 60/60 the same as any other merc captain, which fixes that problem, and so that promoted zealots still get 8/8 advances, which fixes the other problem that promoted zealots were losing 10 WS.

In addition to that, new starting captains in the witch hunter warbands were modified to begin with 4 advances in both weapon and ballistic skill, so that their starting stats of 40/40 were maintained in relation to other merc captains.

So, the only warbands effected by this change in anyway were old warbands where the original captain was still alive, and all they lost was two levels. On the other hand new captains work right and are balanced correctly, if your captain dies your newly promoted zealot will work right and be balanced correctly, and if you have an old warband where your captain died your promoted zealot will work right and be balanced correctly. Further, if you just gain two levels on your old surviving captains, you will also work right and balanced correctly.

And, yes, you lost two levels, and that's very sad, and I feel for you, i really do! But seriously...just gain two levels, and stop yelling at the devs for fixing bugs.
  13. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Thanks for clarifications. I’m pretty sure now everybody understands the bugs and how they were fixed. It’s just that there were no explanations, and people were in the dark, believing the reduced stats WERE the bug, not the fix.
  14. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    FYI, I just edited the Witch Hunter Captain on the Wiki.
  15. Fistandantilus Corporal

Message Count:

We Lost 4 levels not 2, so we will complain when not notified at Nerf, Basing the witch hunter Captain off a base zealot is pretty off. They could have removed the extra advance maximum if that was a must. But should refund experience if it was spent,
    And for a zealot promotion simple just keep its original ws,bs tree, thats as much a workable way to solve this thing as this ridiculous way of fixing it. Frankly its less complex
  16. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I don't think this was implemented well for existing warbands. For new warbands, you start with 40/40 with the 4 upgraded skills. Old warbands started with 40/40 too with 2 upgraded skill points. Then we worked to level up and invest 6 more skill points which we now 2 were taken away (4 if you could BS for those that invested 6 points in that too).

So it really is an issue especially if you have a captain at Level 38 where earning 4 levels to buy back those skill points taken away requires a lot of XP and tons of grinding.

The fix may work well for new warbands, but I think the old ones should be have their lost skill points returned.
  17. Fistandantilus Corporal

Message Count:
    As a matter of fact, good guess he was in his upper 30s 37-39 so yeah it was a long grind, and lossing 10 from both ws and bs at this lvl, hurt. 4 lvl just to replace the loss...

I never bothered to max the bs so i had yet to cosider it a issue.
    Idk been playng this game a pretty long time now, the templar troops r a big slow down balance, the warrior priest is way powerful, got to match a vampire, Idk, I played Warhammer/40k tabletop since 1988, & many GWs other games.eg. The RPG, The Witch Hunter, is a superb fighter, just feels off, starting with 30s ie after 2 advancements, the starting Captain imo wasnt broken, other than a glicht in the bs advancement.

Think ill be starting new tread or something learning forum, but noticing some fixes, the warhound, and this applies for most human, maybe the undead as well, direwolf, just die too often. And the AI is terrible.
    Zombies they r act dumb, slow but r very cheap and u can harvest them from dead, and bring back during battle, Skaven, sameish, rats r cheap, everyone can equip them from the start, and with majic u can summon a bunch for them, nice fodder.

However the doggie pets Hounds/dire have such a ridiculous long charge range, its always charging alone into certain k.o.
    Id think as lest it be nice since they are trained warhounds, id imagine direwolfs r under some magic control, that you could at lest get the option to set your dogs go, on the crazy long charges, ie let them of the leash. At their price, they r usful maybe into the 300-500range, but injust did a test in 7 battles witch hounds k.o. 5 dead out 7 battle in a row. Why bother?

And more specifically to the Which Hunters warband, add the animal trainer from the start, it will take awhile to get templar talent, for magic hater and animal handling, but by then u dont want the darn dogs, and at lest drop their price if they r gonna die so often, or profitable to company add the watch ad videos to prevent its death.
  18. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    i've been pushing for the watch ads to save the dogs for a long time, no luck yet.

That said I'm enjoying the dogs even up around 1000 warband rating in my Witch Hunter band. I have 5 of them in my warband, and a mostly melee group. The dogs charge 12, but my fanatic and my leader charge 9, so i can usually dive in with everyone at the same time. The dogs do go down fast, but with five of them getting that extra hit at least once, and absorbing some of the damage that would normally go on my other troops, i still think they are worth it. In general when all five of them go out of action in the same game, usually 1 of them dies, probably about a 15% death rate? which isn't too bad. Got streetwise and haggle on a couple of guys, and there is almost always one available to replace deaths, and they only cost about 12 gold.

Not a lot of experience with dire wolves, they cost a lot more but the necro and the vampire (with magic) can revive them, not sure how that balances out. Also they charge a lot further, probably harder to control.
  19. Fistandantilus Corporal

Message Count:
    Only when they first released the new fancy pets did i buy one to find it killed in it second battle wasting 2 tokens. Why ohh why do we want to buy these?