Co op Game play - Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chris Jackson, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Chris Jackson Private

Message Count:
    How are you finding it, what could be improved/changed?
  2. Luke Brown Private

Message Count:
    I have found co-op to be very very handy. If you are playing with just floor units (Army, Scavengers), your friend could bring out the vehicles and you could both win the battle together. I really like it.

I do not think it does not need to be changed or improved at this point.
  3. SteveGreen Private

Message Count:
    I don't think there's anything specifically wrong with it, except for the sync issues that end up with you losing around 30 seconds of your turn because the game is trying to process all of the ongoing turns that friends/enemies have been making. This is especially an issue when you're in another tab.

As for the core coop features, it's brilliant, minus the... "exploits" -

Basically, in order to get limitless amounts of support, you just consistently help a friend out (or friends for an even bigger increase), and you can get ridiculous amounts of it for literally sending out a scavenger before they take control of the territory.

I feel this system (and a few others do too) regarding gaining support from helping a friend should be dramatically revamped, some of the suggestions we've come up with are as follows:

• Have the support remain for as long as the friend retains control of the territory, you lose it when they lose their territory, and the only way to get it back is to help them defend, or recapture it - basically the same way as the normal support works.

• Have a maximum cap for the amount of support you can receive from helping out friends, whether this be a by weekly thing, or whatever - it just needs to be limited.

• Only provide support if the player assisting actually helps out with the battle, i.e. only give the support if the player helping does ## damage to the enemy units, or at least attempts to fire ## times - just to make sure they actually contribute to the battle, and are not just there to reek the benefits for doing nothing.
  4. Gareth Corporal

Message Count:
    I completely agree with the points Steve has made. This could become very exploitable!
  5. connorvada Private

Message Count:
    This is unfair on players who can not make friends on the game and when you have to fight two armies by your self is a hard thing to do and they will have more troops than you because they are two and you are only one.
  6. Gavin Rummery
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks for the feedback guys, this is really helpful. We actually had the co-op feature working last summer, but didn't enable it for months because we couldn't decide which way to jump with the reward for helping. In the end we decided to get it out there to see what people thought.

We think it is a cool feature, but I agree it is a bit easy to exploit by not really being helpful at all. Any more suggestions on potential rewards or how to decide whether an ally is "worthy" of receiving one would be gratefully received!
  7. Andrew_Pritchett Private

Message Count:
    How about co-op works on a AI basis; the friend that assists you send their units and gives them an set AI i.e defend the player units, attack all enemies in range, go after the harvester etc.?
  8. James Bell Private

Message Count:
    When a player has left a territory and is being assisted, you still have a turn on the territory so it just makes things a little awkward for both you and the assistant.
  9. Josh James

Message Count:
    extremely over powered, the person assisting should not recieve any/very little support.

I was thinking, you could have a separate power and support number whilst assisting, so for example your original power could be 31 and support 50, but whilst assisting, you have a different ones of 10 and 5. The opposing team could also gain power temporarily to balance the game.

The assisting team should not recieve support because players use this to boost their score
  10. Matthew_Smith Private

Message Count:
    Generally the co-op is a good idea with only a few gripes.
    1. You can steal your friend's units or destroy them, resulting in possible backstabbing.
    2. The co-op can be somewhat laggy on lower spec computers.
    3. Getting permanent supply is somewhat unfair, especially since you can get it multiple times from the same map.
  11. Alex J Private

Message Count:
    I feel co-op game play is a good idea, very helpful if the other person is further into the game with more support and can help you progress. Having not reached it myself, I cannot comment on how it works and if it works well.
  12. Chris Rice Private

Message Count:
    I think the Co-op game play is really fun, its really funny to roll up with far superior weaponry and show of in front of your novice friends. Likewise it's really stress relieving to have someone far stronger than you just roll in and dominate the enemies you were having trouble with.
  13. McAllister Bishop Private

Message Count:
    Coop is very helpful, if you don't have enough resources you can rely on your friend to help you destroy your foes.
    I think that support points should be halved as I know a few people using it to get a higher place in the world leader boards, this is an easy way of beating most of the game as you can simply over power people with hordes of units. It also enables your friend to defend more zones due to the unfair amount of support they receive for helping you.

Overall it is good but the amount of units that can be sent and the amount of support they receive should limited to half or less as it does become unfair when a swarm of tanks and artillery pound you into submission.
  14. Rhys Prior Private

Message Count:
    i haven't tried co op yet but i like the idea of it because i like playing with my friends. i will probably add people as friends first because i don't want to get invaded by everyone before i start.
  15. Maccy-D Private

Message Count:
    Have not yet experienced co-op as of yet. However I have the intention of doing so eventually.
  16. Gareth Corporal

Message Count:
    To be eligible for support I think you should have to either capture the harvester for your friend and/or deal damage to an enemy unit. At the moment, your friend can be on the verge of capturing the harvester (with all enemy units cleared) and if one of your units is deployed to the zone (such as a scavenger) you are then eligible to take the full amount of support, this is overpowered.
  17. Adam King Private

Message Count:
    I think it would be a good idea to implement a series of levels that you NEED to use co-op in, for example a huge AI army that is literally impossible to complete without using the co-op system.
    The only thing I see as a down side to the co-op system is that if you play at like 3am and co-op you can storm the whole game without resistance, which makes it pretty imbalanced.
  18. Tom Cole Private

Message Count:
    The co-op adds a tremendous amount of playability to the game, it's fun, exciting and extremely useful to have at your disposal. I agree at times co-op can feel very overpowered in the sense that sending two (potentially large) armies against one mans small army if he is having trouble finding allies could make the game troubling for some.

Overall I feel that the co-op is fun & hopefully as we continue to iron our the bugs it will become even more exciting to play.
  19. flyingtardis Private

Message Count:
    not gotten too it, not looking forward too it too much as overall not my sort of game
  20. Connorcn Private

Message Count:
    Finding the Co-op Mode to be a great help, Struggled in battle so i asked a friend to come and assist and within about 10 minutes we had dominated the enemy.