Controls for movement and camera

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chris Jackson, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Chris Jackson Private

Message Count:
    How do we feel about the current controls on the 3D version of the game? What improvements/changes would you like to see on how you navigate the game world or move you troops etc.
  2. Gareth Corporal

Message Count:
    The current system feels a bit difficult and repetitive if playing the game in bulk, I often accidentally double click on my unit and waste my turn by making them wait. Instead I would like to suggest a system where you click and drag units to an available movement block as I think this would help the game flow better.
  3. Terry Private

Message Count:
    They feel quite nice but when I take my turn making the squad move, the camera moves starts moving in the same direction but not all the way, this kind of irritates me having to keep moving the camera back to the same position after most of my moves.
  4. James Binns Private

Message Count:
    In my opinion it is too smoothed, when you rotate and let go the camera keeps going. If you want to be precise this isn't a good aspect. On the other hand the movement is pretty simple and easy to pick up.
  5. MoonlightHope28 Private

Message Count:
    The camera is pretty simple to control but quite awkward to use when you have lag. The movement could be made more clearer to the player as none of my units would move unless I double clicked the space where I wanted them to go. I feel like the coloured spaces to show where the player can move could be made brighter and clearer or even be changed as I had trouble with the colours blending into the battlefield.
  6. Southclaw Private

Message Count:
    I like the mouse controls, they are pretty easy to use. My only suggestion for the mouse is that the "bounding box" is a little bigger, I found the camera bumping into the edge a bit too close to where I wanted it.

I'd like to see some kind of keyboard controls for moving the camera, maybe WASD or arrows.

As for controlling units, I find seeing which unit I have selected could do with a better definition (I am a bit colourblind so this might just be me!) maybe a small yellow outline on the selected unit. A click-and-drag movement system would be a lot better I think, drag a line from the unit to where they should move to - that way only one click is needed rather than two or three.
  7. liam rawlings Private

Message Count:
    The fell of the camera is nice,the controls are easy to use however when doing a action or moving the camera lags and means that it irritating to use, adding to this when moving your squad the camera stays where it is meaning you keep having to move the camera, auto tracking would be a nice feature to be added. also the camera keeps adjusting itself constantly when you click on something. Movement is annoying you have to spam click to get your squad to move. also the squares you have to move to blend in with the background making it hard to see.
  8. mattforrest94 Private

Message Count:
    I haven't been able to play the 3d version of the game because the computer i'm using is terrible. but for the 2d version I think that the camera movement would be better if it was moved either with the arrow keys or the wasd (particularly the wasd keys as q & e could be used as camera rotation hotkeys) on the keyboard, or if there were maybe arrows on screen which you clicked to move the camera in that direction
  9. Kellam P Private

Message Count:
    +1 for the click and drag idea.
    The camera angle would be easier to use if it was able to be rotated with more precision instead of the set 90 degree rotations.
  10. Oliver Kirkwood Private

Message Count:
    I like the camera controls and think they are very good for new players to pick up quickly. A problem I have with it is how it is difficult to precisely move the camera to the angle you want it. Apart from this, I think the camera controls are nice to use.
  11. notadam Private

Message Count:
    I found myself accidentally clicking squares when I was trying to rotate the camera; I would suggest changing the camera rotation control button to RMB, and having WASD or the arrow keys control the panning of the camera. Or have some room for controls customisation in the settings menu.
  12. Kyle O'Halloran Private

Message Count:
    The camera is a bit too sensitive for my liking, when i was panning about i found that the camera would move further than i wanted to. Although it is not a massive issue it is something that would improve my game play experience that little bit more.
  13. JaredDellar Private

Message Count:
    I think you should be allowed to free pan the camera to wherever you want within the game world. I suggest either arrow keys/wasd ( as these currently have no functions ) or have it so when you move you mouse to the sides, top or bottom of the screen, the camera moves in that direction. Probably go for the latter as you get to keep the game to mouse control only.

Or better still, have hotkeys, so you can not only assign custom keys to camera control, but to unit movement/selection/abilties as well.
  14. Fletch Private

Message Count:
    The controls are your basic point and click turn based game. Due to machine I was using the game was often laggy, especially when it came to moving the camera.
    On the desert map the visual effect of the square wasn't always clear which ended on double clicking the spaces where I couldn't move and accidentally skipping turns. Instead of using a square with a highlighted edges of the square I would highlight the area of the square which then would change colour(s) etc."green that you can move/red where you can't move"
    I often found myself double clicking accidentally wasting turns while trying to rotate the camera. I prefer the camera controls be something different such as "wsad" or the arrow keys. Another idea is possible when your troops move space or out a reach of a specific area that the camera would relocate so it has the troops in a clear vision and there surrounding area.
  15. Mohamed.adam Private

Message Count:
    I feel the game's controls are responsive yet lag quite often, also moving the camera is quite awkward and i feel a more conventional approach would be better suited. For example, using the arrow keys or using the mouse to pan in 360 degrees with the camera would be more suitable in my opinion.

Mohamed Adam
  16. Charles Moir Private

Message Count:
    I dont know about terms of practicality when implementing such controls but to me I would prefer if you could cycle through available units maybe with the the number keys, and then select on where to move them either with mouse or by arrow keys or wasd to select which square to move them to. But I'm not much of a fan of point and click so I like my key controls.

I'd also like to pan my map using key controls. wasd for movement and q/e to rotate could be good. I dont know how key setup would work with my earlier suggestion. But it's just a suggestion so yeah.
  17. Liam.Handbury Private

Message Count:
    The controls of the game are easy to use as they are similar to other games of this genre. The use of buttons in the interface was good as some people might not want to double click to move or right click to move the camera around.
  18. pastfence Private

Message Count:
    A point to consider is that the camera movement can be a problem. The constant clicking and dragging can prove to be a lot more tedious than the possibility of WASD/arrow controls to pan around the world.
    Rhys likes this.
  19. layton walshbooth Private

Message Count:
    This controls are very simple and easy to get used to. The only thing i felt needed to be tweaked/ changed was that when you wanted to select a house for example, you would sometimes select the land plot behind instead. To fix this simply make the house and other objects actually selectable instead of you having to select the ground below it.
  20. Devon Hubbard Private

Message Count:
    Due to this machine the camera is pretty slow and laggy, although I would need to try this at home and if so then I would like the camera/movement to be quicker and not so slow. The camera in my opinion shouldn't be so smooth, I feel like when you move the camera to a certain part on the map it carries on and it isn't as sharp as some camera's should be.