Could we modify the Possessed Magister hood?

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Shangular, Jun 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erkebrand Major

Message Count:
    Maybe that player was just checking the colours when he was making the band design just see the white, and find it like a joke, nothing more, and call it that way cause it was possible, and didn't make it cause he was evil, or tried to injure any sensibility. If I found in battle I won't feel offended. To call that three words offensive content and not allowed is enough. A witch hunt with fire? No thanks. Aren't there more important problems in the world to solve?

Possessed are possessed and as many cultists of many games come with this kind of clothes. In Cthulhu they used the same ones, it's something normal and related to fool fanatic clothes. I can't believe that we are talking about this thing really. They may look like the evil ones who used this clothes in North America to make evil things in NA, but people should be smart to understand that possessed are not made to offend, if somebody gets offended by the way they look, it's not a matter of if we are disposed to accept a change in their clothing cause we are flexible on this thing. Can't people stop getting offended for everything? Who are we to say what's going to offend them, and to censure the world for if it happens? Do some of you get offended by the look of the possessed?
    Perl Fisher, Blackstaff and CzaRus like this.
  2. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    I sincerely do, and said so already in another thread, well before this one was started. I’m done with this thread. Our opinion was voiced and well articulated. Yours too. We don’t agree. And it’s darn important to us. If you won’t be particularly offended by a slight change of look (cut the top of the pointy hood), please let it go and let the change sooth those who are very sensible on this subject. Thanks.

Edit: you don’t have to fully understand our point of view, just accept it for what it is. Considering the events of the past, the status quo is just not socially acceptable, IMHO.

Logging off from this conversation, there’s really nothing more I can add. Feel free to reply if you want to have the last word, I really don’t care.
  3. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    You guys... you are the offensive ones here. How dare you (not joking rn) ask devs to RUIN this game like that! Don't get me wrong, but this "asking for a favour" is really close to dictating what should devs do. They look like whatever, do they act that way? NO! Why on planet Earth, Mars and Saturn would you make a FANTASY design (based on RL) PC and whatnot? It's they same kind of bs as those PETA morons or who that was who tried to force GW to remove animal fur from their models (made of plastic) because "It's HuRtiNg AnImaLs". I'm really sickened by you.
    The universes of both Warhammer 40.000 and Warhammer are based on cruelty, hatred, metal and such. Nothing for P*SSIES that can't handle thas stuff.
    And you dare to try to F*CK UP THE LAST BITS OF GOOD UNIVERSES? 40k is now sinking into some really deep sh*t it may never get out, now this? No!

BTW so playing Witch Hunters is absolutelly right and ok, even if in our (real life) history they tortured and brutally and ruthlessly murdered thousands of innocents just for nothing?
    Perl Fisher likes this.
  4. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Me, I thought we could stay polite and civilized...
    Jesse Shaffer likes this.
  5. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    Well, Cyber, my words and expressions may indeed be found "inappropriate" or "invalid" for a "civil and polite" discussion, but my points still are.
  6. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    Look, this topic started out with a simple question. The appearance of the Possessed doesn't bother me per se but I've just noticed that it does bother other people so simply was asking for an adjustment to be considerate, especially in light of all that's happening today. It should always be okay to ask. Ask I've said in prior responses, I'm okay with leaving it as is for reasons I've mentioned above. My philosophy in life: Always ask for what you want, you may not always get it, but always ask and that way you'll never regret that you didn't. That's the first topic: Appearance of Possessed hood.

But a second topic was added where we see a war band blatantly add a name combined with an intentional appearance that several people feel violate the Offensive filter. Yes the Warhammer universe is cruel but you'll notice that they take care to focus that cruelty on fictitious races as its never good business for a company to appear racists to real people. The KKK is not part of the warhammer universe so the request of deleting that war band is valid. Let's think about this, a brand new player who happens to be African American starts playing this game. The first game he gets he loses with a message saying "You have been wiped out by the Ku Klux Klan" Do you think he'll be rightfully offended?
    Cyberaddict and Jesse Shaffer like this.
  7. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:

Come on man. Shangular was just asking a question. I don’t want the hoods changed either but I can understand why he and Cyberaddict do. As for the content filter, you’re not opposed to updating that, right? There’s a clear moral imperative there, right? And it’s not like it’s a big ask. Most content filters are regex based and, depending on the developer’s familiarity, take somewhere between mere seconds to only a few minutes to update.
    CzaRus and Cyberaddict like this.
  8. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Not at all, in my opinion. Your points only show your lack of empathy. I said I would remove myself from the conversation, but I feel the need to educate some more. Africans were abducted and brought to America against their will, to work as slaves with no liberty, starting in 1619. Slavery ended in a civil war 250 years later. That, sir, is about 10 generations of slaves. From then, they still suffered a century of deep segregation. Lynching by the KKK was one thing, but they weren’t even allowed to attend some schools, to sit elsewhere than the back of buses, couldn’t enter stores by the same door than whites and were denied decent jobs, to keep them in poverty.

Even after the Civil Rights Movement, they still suffered from deep inequalities. Still in the 90’s, interracial marriage was illegal in some States. Hey, I’m in Canada, and even here, the Black husband of my assistant has been arrested 7 times by the local police because they thought he was driving a stolen car (nope, his ; but the color of his skin was reason enough to harass him). If it’s like that in Canada (and we’re reknowned for being overly gentle), just try to imagine how terrible it must be in southern USA.

They have every right to protest (riots and violence being another subject), and it is our civil duty to encourage them and answer their needs, so that they can enjoy the same freedom and happiness that we have. Each and every small gestures matter. Particularly the small ones. Because if we tolerate icons of racism, violence and segregation in mundane things like games, how can we seriously tackle the problem in a larger scale?

The sheer fact that The Possessed appearance so easily evoke the KKK that painting them in white actually makes them the KKK, and that a kid somewhere in his basement noticed that and found it funny to call his Warband the Ku Klux Klan *is* a problem. And the problem is not what that player did. The problem is that this shape and form of that hood immediately evoked that concept in his mind, and that it is instantly recognized as that symbol of hatred and violence.

As long as these inequalities exist, these symbols should not be taken lightly. Time and the efforts of all will heal these wounds. But until then, it will always be a mistake to resist moving on. And moving on means one thing above all else : leaving the past behind. The hood is already in the past, IMHO. Let’s move on to a brand new hood for The Possessed, you can’t possibly be offended by that, right?
  9. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    History is indeed an important subject, but this is FAN-TA-SY. Witch Hunts in Europe, I assure you were easily same AND worse than your KKK (so many torture techniques and yes, burning alive), the Empire Reikland is based on is mysogenistic homophobic and filthy. Ever heard of Warhammers Dark Elves or "Druchii" and their terror? Look at all the FANTASY-NOT real lore that many would find offensive and hate. If we change or ban everything someone might find offensive, there is nothing to be left. And as I said earlier, you are playing Warhammer game, based on being maximum dark, cruel and simply envoking negativity in so many ways.
    As for "offensive content detector", it kinda violates the freedom of speech, oh wait, it simply does.
    As for the KKK player, I do not see a problem in the slightest, he is free to do so, it is his right. It might encourage you to kill every single member of his warband, do so, satisfaction is great.
    If you wanted this removed, it is like removing SS, NKVD and hundreds of these from history and games.
    You find a hood offensive? What about Skulls everywhere, don't they remind you of something? And witch hunters? And Skaven? And the intense violence of Mordheim, doesn't it offend you?
    Warhammer was never designed to be for everyone, and should stay so.
    I am offended by your total ignorance to this - NOT FOR EVERYONE.
    Perl Fisher likes this.
  10. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    The team went through the database yesterday and removed all the warbands with the offensive names. We will be updating our profanity checker so this doesn't happen again.
  11. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    Please define offensive, just to be clear.
  12. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    According to Dictionary.com :

Ku Klux Klan [ kluhks klan ]
    noun
    1 U.S. History. a secret hate group in the southern U.S., active for several years after the Civil War, which aimed to suppress the newly acquired rights of black people and to oppose carpetbaggers from the North, and which was responsible for many lawless and violent proceedings.
    2 Official name Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. a secret hate group inspired by the former, founded in 1915 and currently active across the U.S., especially in the South, directed against black people, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, foreign-born individuals, and other groups.

If you fail to see by yourself what is offensive, then nothing we can say will make you understand. And please don’t rant on with hyperboles like Witch Hunters and Dark Elves. If there ever is a witch out there who is offended, we’ll take care in that time. But that is not the case and your bad examples only justify our point even more. Can we please move on, now? Legendary Games will make the call themselves, whether they want to change the hood or not. We’ve all made our point, but it’s not in yours or mine power to decide.
  13. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
  14. Blackstaff Corporal

Message Count:
    I'd like to thank LG for taking the time to handle this, quickly. Good work. :)
    Cyberaddict and Shangular like this.
  15. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    Ditto to Blackstaff's comment above.

I'll make one last attempt to delineate the concern addressed above from a fantasy vs reality perspective and then I'll be done with this thread. Yes, this is a fantasy game that we all enjoy which includes lots of violence and hatred......but towards fictitious races and factions. You'll never see a race in Warhammer hate another race just because of the color of their skin. Dwarves hate Elves and if you say your Dwarf warband will kill everyone of my pointy eared elves just because they hate elves and all elves deserve to die, that's okay. This hatred and violence is directed towards a ficticious target. IMO, the line is crossed when it moves from the fantasy game play to targeting at a personal or reality level. The KKK is very real and having that as a name plus making the warband look like the real group would re-directs a message to players at a personal level. The KKK doesn't hate elves, dwarves, orcs or all those fantasy groups, they hate and commit violent acts against real people.

There is a reason why all legitimate companies take great care to not condone racism, doing so would obviously result in a nose dive in sales/revenue and bad PR, etc. GW is careful not to do this because if they ever did, simply saying hey it's just a game would never be a valid excuse.
    Cyberaddict likes this.
  16. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    CzaRus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.