Couple of Suggestions

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Shangular, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    First off, just want to say that I'm really enjoying playing this game. Mordheim and Necromunda are my favorite Gamesworkshop games so I was really pleased seeing this as an app since I longer have time to play regular table-top campaigns. So I've been playing for a few weeks now, I have a mercenary and undead warband. A few suggestions I like to present:

1) Shooting being overpowered: My mercenary warband has 2 high level shooters and in maps where there is no full cover (such as one version of the Palace Garden), they really kill/stun everything and anyone is able to get too close gets attacked by my flying, frenzied captain wielding that sword spell. While this can be fun, it just doesn't seem balanced.

Could we consider:
    a) improving the benefits of being in cover. I understand that the Rifle w/ scope ignores cover, but perhaps that can be adjusted somewhat.
    b) having to target the closest enemy for shooting. In the table top version, you have to shoot at the closest target unless there is a large target. Players can hide their leaders and champions behind grunts. But in this version, you can shoot at any target in range. So hiding behind a wall of zombies does nothing to prevent your necromancer from getting hit as an example
    c) Also it would nice if hiding behind one of your own characters count as cover too.

2) Charging: Like in the table-top game, if you charge past an opponent, they have the opportunity to intercept. I think it would add more of a strategic feel if this option were added. Really in a pvp game right now, zombies are largely worthless. Good opponents will simply ignore them and charge right past.

3) This is more of a comment in relation to playing the table-top version. In the IOS version, it seems far more advantageous to have a warband comprising of few, high level people vs a large low-mid level warband. Even when I was starting my undead warband, I started with only my necromancer to level him up. I had a 50 rating at that time and took on a warband that was at 79. I had one necromancer and a zombie vs a warband that had a necromancer, 2 dregs, ghoul, and a warlock. My single necromancer took out that entire warband.

My point, is that in the table top version, that would not be realistically possible as anyone who's played Games-workshop games know that all models will fall under the "bucket of dice" attack! Was this concept of small, high level warbands dominating the intent when creating the mobile game?

Thanks for listening.
  2. Bars Private

Message Count:
    I agree, black powder weapons are too powerful at the moment. They can crit/stun, cause to flee, have high damage, range and armour pen. Their main downside of only being fired once every other turn and not moving and shooting in the same turn can be overcome with skills. They are also able to shoot at a target using a team mates vision which is a little off too.
    I think its a nice idea of intercepting a charge, i never played the table top myself but i like the thought of positioning to be more crucial.
  3. Jesse Shaffer Corporal

Message Count:
    Rather than play against the AI, try playing pvp. In my matches, my opponents ranged characters are nearly always the first to fall. Sneaking is a beautiful thing.
  4. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I was referring to pvp. Yes some slaven bands that are high level have some counter measures and depends how good the opponent is on positioning, which really is the key factor. . I’m really taking about overall game balance which I understand is difficult. But if you had an Undead war and, which is easy to kill with a mercenary army, it seems very one sided. However. I understand that the Undead are not yet complete as the vampire and dire wolves haven’t been released so that will probably change
  5. Jesse Shaffer Corporal

Message Count:
    Admittedly, I have far more experience using Skaven and mercenaries but I’ve won almost every match I’ve had using the undead. By “won,” I mean actually winning the match and also sustaining zero deaths or negative injuries. My party has one necromancer, one warlock, two dregs, and two ghouls. Without a vampire, adding any more members just feels off to me.

Starting stats and optimization are especially important with dregs and warlocks. A dreg with a starting strength less than 30 isn’t worth keeping because they won’t be eligible for the ‘fearsome’ skill. If you manage to find a reasonably intelligent warlock with high health, strength, and weapon skill like I did, they are a lot more useful and fun if you build them up as fighters first without magic and optimize them for eventually using the sword.

Dreg Minimum Starting Stats
    Health: 4
    Weapon Skill: 20
    Strength: 30

Ranged characters should be easy pickings no matter what faction you have or what stage of the game. The basic strategy for dealing ranged characters is to just sneak up to them until you can charge them. Since they’re less armored than everyone else, they go down pretty quickly. This means that ‘Hidden in the Shadows’ and ‘Perception’ eventually become critical skills later in the game. Dregs and warlocks don’t have them but necromancers and ghouls do.

Sneaking the undead is an incredibly useful strategy. Sure, my zombies are visible but that’s all that’s visible with my death squad creeping unseen in the periphery. While they can’t sneak as well as Skaven, it doesn’t matter if you use the zombies for blocking, are smart about turn skipping, lean with your ghouls, and obey the number one rule of the game (i.e. never fight one-on-one fights).
  6. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Good Skaven and Merc players definately are challenging and fun to play against. But I still say an Undead is currently disadvantaged vs a good Merc player. Due to boredom, I’ve been doing a solo Merc army, I named him The Real John Wick and have him fly around with 2 pistols, John Wick style lol. But vs Undead it’s fairly easy to fly in, which then I can see all hidden characters, then charge in and assasinate the Necromancer. After that, moping up is fairly easy. Now if I were using my Merc warband with snipers, It makes this tactic even easier to pull off.

But I think it will be much better to fight this tactic once the vampire is out.
  7. Jesse Shaffer Corporal

Message Count:
    Dual pistols in combination with Flight of Zimmeran could be extremely leathal. I would say that you’re also probably very good. With that said, the truth is black powder weapons can’t possibly be overpowered in this game because, if they were, then warbands of all black powder wielding members would be far more common. Instead, they’re virtually nonexistent at higher levels while all melee warbands show up far more regularly.
  8. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I'm actually just pretty lucky, better lucky than good lol! (especially getting the Flight casting to work when really needed)

After getting to know the game better, I agree with you on black powder weapons not being overpowered. However, the Tips that come up on the load screen do say: "You must target the closest enemy". However, that is not true in the game, so perhaps just align the game to match the Tip.

For high level, you're probably referring to 1500+ rating battles, so I wouldn't know since I got bored of my original Merc warband at about 1200 rating and ended up deleting it because I want to try Skaven. Having a blast with my Undead and solo Merc though. I even got a dog for my John Wick character but someone killed it :(

Actually, that's one suggestion I would like to add, please allow us to have more than 3 warbands, especially since now I see that Witch Hunters are coming soon.

Again to the devs, love the game. Hope you guys also consider making a similar Necromunda game.
  9. Viki Private

Message Count:
    Shangular
    No warband is ever deleted. They are moved to 'backup'.
    If You want to get back old warband:
    -'Delete' one of Your three warbands
    -select 'Empty slot'
    -select 'Download'
    -pick any warband from the list.
    You are very welcome.
    Amaan Shawkath likes this.