Disconnecting wimps

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TheWizardWatley, Dec 10, 2017.

1. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    I'm getting a little tired of trying for PvP matches, only to have the opponent disconn in the first turn or just as the battle is about to end and they are losing. Pretty lame. It's poor gamesmanship, and is more than likely going to drive honest gamers like myself away if something can't be done about it.

I'm fairly certain it's not the servers. After all, I've been testing it before it came to release, I oughta know.

Watley, not a wimp.
    Fistandantilus likes this.
  2. Domowoj Private

Message Count:
    I agree very much. It seems unlikely that the game only ever seems to disconnect as soon as the bodies start hitting the floor. I don't have contempt for the players dropping out; I feel pity that we are all wasting our time because the match-up system is broken.

I don't have the best warband, but it's rather advanced: multiple level 40+ characters, 1400 shards, you get the picture. I keep getting match-ups against brand new warbands which fall apart like wet paper and people either disconnect or flee asap and then I'm left cleaning up the impossibly brave AI. As much fun as a huge underdog bonus might be, or the quick shards for myself, I'd rather have a good match-up. We all wanted PvP because the AI is predictable and easy to beat.

Can the match-up system be re-worked please? I have played maybe 30 PvP matches and about 2 or 3 have been against opponents who had a warband-rating even close to similar to my own.

Thanks,
    The Bögenhafen Hippotigris Division
  3. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Currently, we only send notifications if there is a relatively good match - so look out for them. Right now though we literally match people up with the next person to hit the gold mission so there can be extreme mismatches. In Beta, the high underdog reward and no death seemed to be a good compensation for this but if people are bailing before they get to the end of the battle they will never see this and we need to do something. It is a tough balance if we put too many restrictions in there won't be any matches at all.
  4. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    I don't think it's about mismatched games. It's about weak self indulgent little twerps who want things their way. Bad gamesmanship.

How to deal with it? Perhaps make use of the announcements screen on app opening to encourage people to stick to the game they've gotten. I don't know, I don't understand such cowardice. A little league filter for the regular disconns?

Right now, I'm a bit disappointed with how the general public have treated the PvP option.
  5. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    At the moment we are considering auto "out of action" all survivors for manual disconnectors (not poor wifi connection) with no XP or shard reward.
    TheWizardWatley likes this.
  6. _Q_ Major

Message Count:
    I think if you are considering that, you need to give players the option to opt out of a wildly mismatched battle before it begins. In fact, I think it would be sensible to include a simple confirmation dialogue for both warbands: "Matched against [warband name], [rating], [underdog bonus available]. Continue? Yes/No"

Also, can you reliably distinguish between a deliberate disconnect and a loss of wifi / device crash? I play on a very basic tablet with limited memory - a crash is not uncommon and I'd be a bit peeved to be penalised for that.
    Fistandantilus likes this.
  7. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Good concerns. We can tell the difference between deliberate vs wifi outage and by the end of today mismatches should be over but you may have to press the gold button a bit more often to get a match up.
  8. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    G'day fellas, I think this is a brilliant idea. I'd been wondering if you could tell the difference btw manual disconns and dropouts, very cool that you can.

As for the mismatches, I do think it's case of perspective. It's a wargame, take what you get and move on, win or lose. I've made this case before, when other forumeers have whinged about fate costs and economics. If a player is getting too precious about his warband, ditching from game before they lose, then maybe it's time for them to go back to bloody Mariokart or some such similar childish shite and leave the war games to adults. I get it, one can get attached to a particular crew or warband member. But the attitude displayed by the wimpy types out there is simply another case of the kind of self indulgence which ruins games like this.

And that's my two groats,
    Watley
  9. _Q_ Major

Message Count:

Before I reply, a disclaimer: I actually get more irritated by mismatches where mine is the far superior warband - I'm generally fairly happy to take a clobbering, especially if there's the prospect of a juicy underdog bonus. Either way I'll play it to the end though.

That said, I feel for the poor sod who just wants to test his semi-developed warband against one with a similar rating (cos we all know playing the AI tells you bugger all) but doesn't get the choice to opt out before starting a battle if s/he's matched with a vastly superior (or inferior) opponent. Playing the tabletop game, you know in advance what your opponent's rating is and, in most cases, will try to play against someone in the same general range as your own - cos that's fun. Being wiped in 3 turns isn't fun, nor is it fun doing the wiping - on the tabletop or here. And we play for fun, right?

Hopefully this a moot discussion though and such mismatches won't be an issue any more. :)
  10. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    G'day,

I'm just going to address one of your points, that of fun.

Yes, it's all about fun, and I'll grant that it isn't always super fun being smashed by overwhelming odds. However, if one can't see the benefit of the dawg XP being greater than the superficial joy of victory (who can argue that getting to the next level is really what you're chasing) then one might be a little princess.

The fun is in the challenge. Haven't you ever played card games against someone whose deck is totally OP, and you've got retarded goblins? Annoying, but a fun challenge.

Now, as for being super strong vs those retard gobbos, isn't it fun to occasionally get to be the guy who gets to clean up, victory with barely a drop of sweat? I know it is. You know it is. Don't lie.

Re your mention of the tabletop. Underdogs and unmatched warbands were a part of it, and an important dynamic.
    How else could I call Bertha to help my ladies?
    What happens to the gaming group when one person gets lucky and begins to dominate?
    Start again because it not fair? (Life isn't fair)
    Run away and cry in mummy's aprons?

No. You keep at it, and the rest of the group now have a common enemy until the tables turn.

I honestly believe it's time gamers learned to man the F up.

Watter, who ran the gauntlet and came out alive, tho not necessarily stronger
  11. _Q_ Major

Message Count:
    All valid points (although I'd point out that on the tabletop you can manage being underdog way more easily than you can here, simply by sending henchmen out as arrow fodder and legging it at the 25% OoA threshold and protecting your heroes who then benefit from the juicy xp).

My point, though, is that in all those scenarios you get to choose whether you play that game.
  12. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    True, Q, true, plus you get setup advantage....

Maybe that could be a new thing to trial, allowing players to set up their forces. Often the random placing has the warband all jammed into tiny corners or blocking each other.
  13. 10 Snake Gathering Corporal

Message Count:
    Watley, you say man up, but are crying the loudest because you can't handle a tactic that was used against you. "My opponent camped" and you had to play their game rather than them playing yours. I bet people quit games against your "OP" purchased warband because they aren't fans of feeding their low ranked warbands to griefers like you.
  14. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Mate, you may need to review the posts, because you're only making a fool of yourself now.
  15. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Settle down gents. You are both making some good points let's not get personal. For the record, I've steam rollered Watley's Judge dread themed wb at least once so he's a theme player, not the power player. There should be less unbalanced matches now, though you may have to initiate a few times. If double camping is or isn't a problem that is somthing we would like to hear.
  16. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    Infidels MC have quit 2x games w me.
    SHAME SHAME SHAME
    get it together, and stop being a quitter
  17. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    It's been a while, I've been distracted. So I come in for a PvP in the new environment.

2 quitters for 2 games. I'm not confident that players are scared of the penalty.

Veskits Gutter Runners, skaven, I name thee cowards. By rights, you could have beat me.

Middenheimers, Brawl or fall, I name thee quitters. You had the game won if you hadn't wimped out, you gutless turd. Thanks for the underdog bns and the shards.
  18. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks for the heads up, one to look into, go easy on the name calling though and it could have been network issues. We may have to look into a PVP restriction on regular disconnectors.
  19. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:
    Doesn’t the game work now in a way that disconnecting makes no difference because the result is saved up to the last move made?
    So the disconnecting player will relaunch the application and find they got nothing and whomever was knocked out will still be dead or injured or whatever anyway?

When I played VS AI I deliberately crashed the app and when I relaunched it took me straight to the post match screen showing me the results of each unit I had at the time I crashed the app. One of my guys was injured and would miss the next battle.

I really don’t think there is any better way of doing it. Bottom line there will always be disconnects - and we will never know if they were honest ones or not. The punishment is already built in because there is no “escape” from getting pounded as the post battle results will occur.

Legendary Games, I think you’ve done plenty regarding “fixing pvp” - there is now a cap based on rating, there is information given prior to a match to avoid unwanted surprises and disconnecting can no longer save a warband from results.

This topic should be put to rest IMO. To anyone who is still bothered by someone who disconnects, it’s essentially no different than them sitting in front of you and conceding a match - and that should be allowed. You win I lose, GG.
  20. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Ariel, I agree with most of the points you make. However, you've overlooked the frustration factor. A PvP match is a bigger undertaking as far as time goes than an AI match, in fact I can usually write a decent chunk while I am waiting for the opponent to make their moves. It really takes forever, most PvP matches seem to be me waiting to make a move that I have had planned since the beginning, while the other person dithers about in the darkness. That could be, I admit, my perception. Yet, when they disconnect, probably because they think they will LOSE, oh horror (that's sarcasm, ok), and I've wasted time I could be writing or drawing maps or just battling the AI, which by the way never disconns or wastes time, it's extremely annoying. I'm not a fan of cowardice, especially in a war game. But, it seems to me there is a lot of cowardice or at least some manner of self indulgent psychology at play here. Precious little princesses all.

I'm going to keep calling out disconns. I don't think there is enough in the way of penalties to prevent dishonourable play, and really, when it comes down to it, that's what this is really about... dishonourable conduct. And dishonourable conduct deserves at least five lashes, and a keelhauling if it continues.

One last thing. Anyone who wasted my time in a real game of Mordheim by conceding face to face would probably be buried beneath my pond. As far as poor conduct and time wasting goes, that about the worst.

That's my two groats, take it or leave it, at least it's an intelligent opinion.
    W