Disconnecting wimps

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TheWizardWatley, Dec 10, 2017.

1. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:
    Fair enough. I can’t really speak to this because I don’t play anything other than my Skaven warband that’s ridicoulusly over powered compared to everyone else... when by some miracle I get paired, I’m waxing the opposition by turn 3. (In their defense, if they get a chance, they usually don’t disconnect but just concede because it’s 8 vs 1 or 2 by that point).

I’m 3000 points higher in rating then the next highest warband ive seen so really all I’m doing is just grinding shards waiting for the next faction to be released due to my lack of interest in the three human ones. Maybe ill share your frustrations once I go back to zero
  2. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    Cheers for the feedback Ariel, since the last update we now have a completion rate of all PvP games at 95%, so the disconnects are gradually going down. We are still thinking about making changes to PvP though, we are thinking about including a timer per a go in all PvP matches, would you be interested in this? If you guys have any feedback on potential changes that you would like in PvP, please let us know, thanks.
    Amaan Shawkath and StarMine like this.
  3. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    Thank you for the pvp changes.
    A timer would be great, or a turn limit. Another thing that would help on wipe out the enemy maps would be to put a honey pot,(bunch of shards, bodies, crates) in the middle of the map to draw players into conflict.
    I dread getting wipe out maps with no other objectives. You have to hope your opponent doesnt choose to sneak down the other side of the map, or you've got 10 turns of wandering
  4. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    A timer might be bad due some playing on phones, lag, etc.
  5. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Not sure that a timer would really work.

I think maybe just a general message once in a while reminding players of the inherent gutlessness of disconnecting and how its a bit unfair on the other player.
  6. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    3 out 4 games yesterday disconnected. One disconned after their pistolero wizard got whacked( they would have won if they hadn't disconned). One right after we saw each other. Third discon turn 2. Unfortunately for me the 2nd 2 disconnects were lesser bands so my leader gets 1xp and everyone else nada.
  7. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    #Ngng: I was suspicious of that statistic as well. 95%? No way, it's still happening a lot more than that.
  8. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    5 pvp games from 6-7pm est. 3 disconnects one of the disconners completed a 2nd game. All of the disconnects were before anyone had struck a blow.
    So a 2/5 completion rate for me today
    TheWizardWatley likes this.
  9. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:
    I started a new Skaven warband to better test PvP. The only few disconnects I’ve experienced were a turn 1 or turn 2 before any true action occurred (which undoubtedly indicated a connection drop or an immediate resign, probably due to something coming up for the other player). The majority of matches were completed in a timely fashion, win or lose for either side.

My two cents: I don’t like the “blind” aspect of waiting for someone to join a game I initiate because of the chance I’ll be stuck with a lesser warband yeilding no survival XP and higher injury risk to me. When I am the joining faction I know what I’m getting.
    Also, deployment, though often isn’t, sometimes is an issue - I just played a game, in which I was completely spread out while my opposition was tucked away right behind me. The match started with an immediate trade of units. I did wind up winning anyway.

P.S - I have no issue spending $3 every couple of weeks, to retain my warband - I get plenty of hours of play to justify the cost.
    _Q_ and TheWizardWatley like this.
  10. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:
    Scarylandia . Please block. 6 deliberate disconnects and counting
  11. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    Scarylandia disconnected from me as well.
    2 games yesterday 2 intentional disconnects. One took thier attacks then disconnected because I was on the verge of wiping them out. Personally I would have chosen to flee, they did not have a chance.
    Are disconnectors punished with bad wound recovery rolls?
  12. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    On the topic of disconnects, we now have the ability to manually ban people who purposely disconnect from PvP games, so if there is anyone who is doing this, please let us know and we'll look into it and take action accordingly. We are also looking to implement a Fair Use Policy in the future that everyone would have to accept, where if you deliberately disconnect from games you'll receive a warning for a first time offence of deliberately disconnecting, a 24 hour ban from PvP games if you continue to deliberately disconnect from games and a permanent ban for reoccurring players who continue to deliberately disconnect from PvP games. Is this something you guys will be interested in? Let us know, thanks
  13. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    Yes.
    I usually run about 40-50% opponent disconnects, pretty sad. I suspect people playing on phones.

I find the match making to be the MOST TEDIOUS and UNREWARDING aspects of this game.
    click and wait, you have no idea if anyone is even out there to be an opponent.
    I have not kept track, but I seem to average 3 or 4 "no opponent found" to every "opponent found"
    However I usually give up after 3
  14. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:
    I am all in for policing people who abuse PvP but I do think there should be a way to reject a match when you are the player hosting. Currently only the joining player knows what they are about to face. The hosting player can get blindsided by a much more powerful warband and not have a choice. I’ve had a few disconnects when the hosting player quit very early once they saw they had no chance. Rather then risk injury or death for an underdog bonus, they crashed the app.

A possible solution to this would be that joining players cannot join a match of which their rating is much higher then the hosting player?
  15. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    On this subject, I think that there may need to be a more thorough investigation of the means by which people are disconning, with a particular focus on trying to find a backdoor glitch that may be being taken advantage of. There does seem to be more disconns than there should. It has driven me away from the game and from PvP in particular. Which is a shame for me, although I suspect Ariel is enjoying first place.

Judging from the disrespect shown by some towards any effort made by the legendary team to encourage good gamesmanship, I would say that this is something that really needs knocking on the head before it becomes entrenched behaviour.

There is nothing wrong with good old capital punishment, in this case, total deletion of the offending warband and a strongly worded warning that any future activity along these lines will be met with total banning from the game itself.

Watters the hardliner.
  16. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:
    So a trend I’ve noticed is disconnecting happens more as the rating increases. Under 1k things are pretty smooth but as warbands get stronger and stronger, and the tide shifts quickly, players tend to lose interest quicker.

Once more and more skills are unlocked units reach their OP potential -
    For example a warband with 5 shooters with Hidden in the Shadows and Ambush, in an open map setting. Ground units can’t do much because the distance from cover to cover may be too great to keep creeping.
    Or A Skaven warband with high initiative, Gutter Runner, Infiltration and Black Hunger. They will move 32 spaces before the opponent gets a turn.

I’m not saying winning is impossible in these scenarios, I’m just saying I can see the PvP being more fun in the early stages. But I guess that more a flaw in the game design and it’s progression.
  17. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    I've only been non beta pvping up to 400 points, mostly the 100ish range. If the disconnects get worse at higher ratings, whats the point of playing. I'm running 50% when I actually get an opponent.
    The match making needs an overhaul. 3-4 attempts with no takers, then when someone accepts theres a 50% chance they will disconnect. meh.....
    If I didn't love turn based strategy games I wouldn't bother.
    the ai is soooooo predictable. the only time it beats me is when some uber warrior w maxed out armor and weapons gets an opening .
    The ranged ai is pathetic, so playing against the ai is...
  18. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    Itzal guard just disconnected, they were down to their captain Itzal. They chose to disconnect rather than flee.
    Are the penalties more harsh for disconnects than flees?
    They should be.
    I was underdog at 345 points, so its not a noob, just a temper tantrum.
    I have been trying to kill off this warband, deth wishers, ever since a stupid member was made captain.
    He appears to be unable to get a dead result. I have never seen so many full recoveries. The lord surely does protect the stupid. The lord in this case being a suspect Random Number Generator
  19. _Q_ Major

Message Count:

I suspect not, and until they can differentiate between a deliberate disconnect and a game/device crash (which on current experience appears to not be the case) I don't think they should be.
  20. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    We can differentiate. If your wifi disconnects you play on against ai and you opponent gets an auto win. If you manually disconect you get a loss no shards and no xp bonus and keep casualties. The next beta that will go live will have a turn timer and a bias toward the dynamic scenarios with objectives which should remove camping as an issue. We will also add a reminder of the bonuses if you play on. Do keep us posted with ideas and issues, especially observations on the elder game (this is the hardest environment to recreate in testing). Things have improved a lot 96% of PvP games complete without a disconnect and you are matched with an opponent 40% of the time. We can improve that by widening the threshold and increasing the number of users.