Early game and tutorial

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chris Jackson, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Chris Jackson Private

Message Count:
    Morning everyone,

Whilst testing I have heard a lot of comments and suggestions about the tutorial. What are your thoughts and comments on the tutorial as it currently stands?

Are the instructions clear and does this guide you through the early game and show you what you need to know/do to progress.

Thoughts?
  2. Josh James

Message Count:
    Instructions are very vague, would be very helpful if there was a help/tip when you hovered over things (which could be toggled off when you felt confident with the game)
    Rhys Prior likes this.
  3. flyingtardis Private

Message Count:
    not clear you need to go to the harvester at first as it just says search and mentions nothign about being able to go inside the harvester or inside anything and you just think its a static object like th ebuildings
  4. Alex J Private

Message Count:
    Despite the text which appears on-screen during the game, the tutorial wasn't as informative as hoped. Struggled to understand the basic concept and what to-do.
  5. Gareth Corporal

Message Count:
    If you accidentally rush through some of the tutorial text, I have found there is no real way of re-checking your brief for the mission. Maybe a more prominent tutorial system that can easily be toggled on and off would be good.
  6. Chris Jackson Private

Message Count:
    Thanks guys, there are a couple of themes forming about the tutorial in this thread. Anyone else?
  7. James Bell Private

Message Count:
    The tutorial would be much easier with perhaps hint markers as a visual guide
  8. Matthew_Smith Private

Message Count:
    Generally the tutorial is good however the information/advice given can be somewhat vague. The tutorial also lacks direction at times, maybe a tool-tip or flashing icon/tile IN MAP would be a good means of directing players.
  9. Tom Cole Private

Message Count:
    I agree with what Josh said, recurring hints and tips would make navigating the game very easy for beginners and novices to the game alike.
  10. Adam King Private

Message Count:
    Instructions are lacking a bit, for the people who just click past the text are just waiting around expecting to fight enemies but you just need to capture the harvester.
    Something on the side of the screen that keeps a log of the mission objectives, which update objectives when completed.
  11. Maccy-D Private

Message Count:
    Tutorial is very vague, didn't explain how to control units only objectives. Lots of lag (most likely the bad quality PCs)
  12. Rhys Prior Private

Message Count:
    the game doesn't explain things clearly enough to understand, it is not specified that you need to come aboard the harvester. it's really frustrating not knowing what to do, Ive just been roaming around seeing if i can harvest anything. it would be very resourceful if you have a help icon when you approach objects to see how you can react with things. at the moment it's not my cup of tea
  13. TomW Private

Message Count:
    Tutorial is simple enough, however the information they give to you for objectives is vague and unclear to a first time player. A suggestion would be to have flashing indicators to point the player in the right direction, rather than let us play blindly.
  14. SteveGreen Private

Message Count:
    When I started exploring the unoccupied lands, I felt the descriptions of what I had to do in order to progress were a little lackluster, and had to use my initiative and try to interpret what I was being asked to do.

I would advise having something to direct the user in the right path, i.e. an arrow pointing to where the next objective is. I agree with Josh James about having the toggle-able in-game tips, would've definitely helped me out when I first started adventuring into the open lands.
  15. Chris Rice Private

Message Count:
    The Tutorial is very helpful and clear for the beginning of the game however it is unclear what you actually can use the 'Harvesters' for.
  16. Gavin Rummery
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks for the feedback guys. A lot of people mentioning it is "too vague" - are there specific points you can remember where you were unsure what to do?

Also, I'm guessing most people haven't realised you can click on the ? button to get the current instruction to display again including the mission?
  17. MaddieWilmot Private

Message Count:
    Maybe one of the intro mission could have the player open the ? button as an objective to allow for players to recognize it's existence and a further explanation of what needs to be done can be inside of it incase the player feels the original is too vague.
  18. Mohamed.adam Private

Message Count:
    I feel the tutorial isn't as explanatory as it should be, it comes off as rather vague and not as detailed in what your objectives in this game are. I found myself wasting time doing a lot of things I wasn't meant to do without a clear indicator of what my true objective where, I finally found my way throughout the tutorial through my own trail and error.

Mohamed Adam
  19. Oliver White Private

Message Count:
    Tutorial was very vague and didn't understand what i was doing and then i didn't know how to get out of the tutorial it was a terrible tutorial once i found out what i had to do but finding out took a while.
  20. Ben Of The North Private

Message Count:
    At first I had no idea what to do with the harvester, but after a while I managed to figure it out, it would have been nice if I had been told what I could do with it.
    When being told to find the commander, it would be nice if they could tell you where he was last located or anything that would give me some kind of idea what I am looking for since it is a tutorial and it is suppose to help you.