Early game and tutorial

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chris Jackson, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Andrew_Pritchett Private

Message Count:
    I agree with what other people say about visual prompts within the tutorial as it would make it easier to know what to do.
  2. Zero_Harker Private

Message Count:
    A log of your current objective and previous objectives to be accessible from intel would be useful in case you forget some important stuff.
    Ewan Lamont likes this.
  3. Nathan Lenton Private

Message Count:
    i had a few problems trying to get into the harvester and trying to use it, there was no real hints on how to use it and it took me a few attempts to understand how it works, maybe just make it more clear and a few more pointers.
  4. Jason Tomlinson Private

Message Count:
    the tutorial was quite vague as it does not display how to mount and dismount troops into your trucks something that i have found out by myself to be quite useful.
  5. Ben Private

Message Count:
    to begin with i felt i got thrown into the thick of it and the instructions were vague and but could be followed. at times i did have to re-read the objective to figure out what it was i had to do. a hint button would be good, either that or breakdown the objective so that you have set goals/tasks to follow, possibly with additional information on that specific task.
  6. Ryan Reeves Private

Message Count:
    I got really confused on what to do until i wasted a few turns and realized i could move my men around and get to the harvester. i got stuck after that point when i had a menu missing.
  7. Lucas Private

Message Count:
    A help button for when you're stuck would be helpful, as sometimes the objective is not fully explained and it can leave you stuck.
  8. MrRellics Private

Message Count:
    I agree that the tutorial should be a lot more explanatory and actually give some sort of icon that would guide a player through the tutorial and after a certain period of time when a player would be alright with the controls and layout of the game, for example during the first area of the game there is no sort of alert that indicates that we can take command of the harvester
  9. Williham Private

Message Count:
    I think the tutorial isn't clear enough as I kept clicking on the harvester and nothing happened. It wasn't till about 10 minutes until i realized that I can press on the characters and then move them.
  10. Joshua Pike Private

Message Count:
    Yeah. When I first started playing the game, it looked as if there were no tutorial what so ever. I had to ask fellow classmates around me to teach me how to get into everything, as I honestly had no clue myself.

I suggest making a detailed tutorial at the start which the user can opt in or out for upon entering the game. I also recommend adding in detailed hints that the user again, can opt in or out to use them.
  11. Gavin Rummery
    Administrator

Message Count:
    I'm a bit confused by this feedback. In the first mission there *should be* a load of pop-up dialogs telling you how to move and what to do. For example, the first time you click on the harvester a message should pop up explaining what it is.

Or is it because you are all playing the beta 3D version? This is missing the "move markers" that float above the characters in 2D to show what can be clicked on and what the objective is.

Anyway, sounds like we need to look at the early tutorial in 3D to check it is working properly!
  12. Reece Private

Message Count:
    I found the tutorial to be somewhat unclear at times. The instructions you are given are not very informative and it makes it hard to understand what you have to do. Another thing I found was in regards to the Harvester. At the beginning of the tutorial, it said search the area. It did not mention anything about the Harvester. To improve the tutorial, there should be more information available and clear instructions as to what you have to do exactly. There should also be a short mission at the start which will show you how to bring up the current mission Intel. This will be very helpful for players, as I only realised it was there after a few battles.
  13. Gareth Corporal

Message Count:
    There are a lot of pop-up dialogs at the start of the game, its just people (including myself) tend to rush through them and then think "Oh wait, what am I meant to be doing now?". Maybe if you set up a system where you can check your current objective it would make the game easier to learn because people who have skipped through the tutorial are not left wondering what to do next.
  14. Connor Private

Message Count:
    The tutorial was ok, there was a few times where I was confused and had no idea what to do but got round to completing it. I have to say that was the longest tutorial I have ever done due to confusion. The probe mission was a big vague as I don't recall the text boxes saying that you have to use the Harvester on the probe(correct me if I'm wrong though) so there I was hammering the salvage button with my scavengers and getting the message "you found nothing" until I got bored and demolished the probe with the Harvester in a single scavenge which completed the level.

There are several bugs in tutorial which hindered the experience for the player such as the first "combat" experience on the Forest Road map which made the enemy troops completely invisible, once I had jumped into the harvester I had a few popup messages saying "deflected" and "missed" a few seconds later I had completed the level without doing a thing, I don't know if the invisible troops were intended but if so, I don't think the idea is very effective.

One thing I do suggest is some kind of log which saves the previous messages so that the player can keep track on what they have to do. Secondly, maybe introduce hot keys and more explanation to what menus do in the tutorial as the only hotkey/shortcut I know is double left click and I only knew that because I accidental figured that out(it saves a lot of time to do stuff and all players can benefit from this shortcut). The last thing I suggest is completely revamping the tutorial. On several strategy games the tutorial is normally separate from the main game and are normally completely optional. Maybe on the players first login prompt them to see if they would want to do the tutorial or if they want to skip it? This would make more players happier and gives them an option to hop straight into the action if they wish to.

Keep up the good work!

-Connor Orton
  15. Gavin Rummery
    Administrator

Message Count:
    OK we obviously have a big problem here. It sounds like people are missing key instructions and then losing track of what to do. For example you are NOT meant to harvest the probe. You are actually told to go and retrieve it using a truck! But I guess if you didn't catch that essential piece of information then you'll be at a loss what to do, and we don't automatically remind you.

Oh, and the scavengers in the forest battle are hidden in the trees usually (and you can find them using the probe unless you trashed it with the harvester!).

Hmm... think we need a major rethink.