Easiest Way to Level the Cult of the Possessed

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jesse Shaffer, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    For the uninitiated, there can be quite a lot of pain involved in leveling the Cult of the Possessed so I thought I'd share the fastest, smoothest, and least painful way I know. Let's get the more common things out of the way first. Only pick brethren with at least 4 wounds and WS, S, I, all in the 30's; it will take an eternity if we are any more controlling than that. Also remember to equip the Halfling Cookbook as soon as possible.

Getting Over the Dark Pact
    The ultimate goal here is to add 3 to 4 possessed with 2 mutations each in preparation for adding 3 to 4 hired swords. Once we have our possessed, we can level normally. Before then, however, we need to do things a bit differently. The rest of this guid then is really about getting passed the dark pact in the smartest, fastest, and least abrasive way we can.

Buy Both Blessings: I would normally never recommend spending money but since this is a guid to the least painful way to level, I'll include it here. Buy Blessing of Verena (doubles XP) and Blessing of Morr (saves you from death). They're comparatively cheap, they last a full week, and you'll probably only have to do it once per warband. Unless one is extremely lucky, obtaining three possessed with two mutations each takes quite a bit of time. You're magister will likely be leveled in the 20's by then. Buying both blessings will reduce the physical time it takes by substantially more than half.

Keep It Small: limiting the initial size of your warband keeps its rating lower and makes brethren cheaper. Try to maintain a roster of three henchmen throughout this process since you'll be burning through a lot of them. The general strategy is to keep all of your characters rated as close to a level 1 as possible until you have your final possessed while simultaneously edging up the performance of each individual.

Magister
    Academic Skills: Wyrdstone Hunter, Streetwise, Haggle, +1 Leadership, and Sorcery.
    Speed Skills: Hidden in the Shadows, Sprint, and Perception.
    Chaos Magic: 4/4 dark blood, 4/4 Lure of Chaos, 1/4 Wings of Darkness
    Gear: Magister Staff and either a Rod of Will or Staff of Summoning

Brethren and Mutants
    Gear: anything cheap
    Spend points on the Dark Pact only
    Dismiss if no mutation by the 6th attempt, no 2nd mutation by the 7th attempt, and no possession after the 8th attempt.

Possessed
    Speed Skills: Hidden in the Shadows, Sprint, and Perception.
    Dismiss if possession occurred before the second mutation.

That’s it! Until you’re finally free of the Dark Pact, just sit on those level-ups. This might be a hard pill to swallow for sum but it really will make your battles easier and faster. You can always spend those points once you get your final possessed.

For you renegades who want to keep their mutants who've been locked out of possession (not recommended), you can upgrade their gear to a cowled helm, gromril axe, and buckler without any problems. You can also give them the same speed skills as everyone else. Lastly, adding a Magister Staff wielding warlock to your roster can also be very helpful. Loading them up with academic skills and fireball will make gear easier and cheaper to come by giving you an effective ranged weapon without contributing much at all to your warband's rating.

If you have other variations of above strategy that work better for you or you do something completely different, feel free to share.
  2. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I would just add:

Magister: I would recommend taking 3/4 Wings of Darkness as a priority. (with gear you should get 100% spell cast chance with 3/4). You can get easy wins with certain scenarios.

Possessed: If you have one with really good stats, I would hold on to them for now if they don't get their 2 mutations prior to becoming possessed because based on the other thread, there may be a change coming that let's Possessed purchase or continue to use Dark Pact to get mutations.
  3. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    That’s a good example of differences in play style. I always prioritize damage whenever I can (which is certainly not the only way to do things). Duel wielding staves gives you 95% with a single point in Wings of Darkness but saving up the gold for that can feel like a royal pain when the thing we want most is to fill out our roster.

3/4 first in Wings of Darkness before bothering with staffs wouldn’t be a waste in the long run either because, as fun as duel wielding staves is, I think most people will feel like turning their magister into an armor toting hybrid towards late-game.