Elf Rangers for Hire!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Ewan Lamont, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    elf.png
    Elves are a wondrous race: lithe, tall, beautiful, long lived and magical. Though Elves become rarer in the Old World each year, there are still some roaming on the trackless paths of the Drakwald Forest and the Forest of Shadows. For the most part they are feared and distrusted by humans but sometimes they are hired by treasure hunters, for few can match their skill with a bow, or their inhuman quickness and agility. The senses of an Elf are much keener than any human’s, and they make excellent scouts.

Download the update on Browser, Android and Apple.

- Socials -

Found a bug? Report it here - https://forms.gle/MXi6SAt1jfxuq9rQ6
    studer1972 and Jesse Shaffer like this.
  2. Algirdas25 Major

Message Count:
    Suffer not the elfs to live!
    Ewan Lamont, CzaRus and studer1972 like this.
  3. studer1972 Corporal

Message Count:
    What's the official stat line for our new pointy eared chums?
    My hire came with W 5 (3-5?), M 5, A 1, WS 43, BS 51, S 29, D 0 (plus free ithilmar), I 61, Ld 72 and a free elf bow
    This makes them better than tabletop, since their I, BS, and Ld should be same as halflings, but are all better.

Now we just need some nassty greenskins.
  4. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    Hey, just got my first ranger. My first impression is that they might be too good. Is it too late to consider:

1. The elf ranger in tabletop could not change his gear, so he didn't have the rule that he wasn't allowed to use blackpowder weapons, but all the other elves (shadow hunters and dark elves) had a rule that they couldn't use blackpowder because of their keen senses. Could we add that to the elf ranger? I think it's more in keeping with his lore if his best weapon is an elf bow not a sniper rifle.

2. The addition of lesser magic to the elf ranger (while cool because he's fey) means that you can now get a witch in a witch hunter warband. Maybe he should just get the magic resistance and the luck, and not the spells? Out side of the witch hunters all the other warbands with access to the ranger can get a warlock for spells, so i don't think he needs them in any band.

3. In tabletop the ranger's luck skill worked once per game, rather than on every single roll like an augur. Could this be scaled back to maybe his first combat roll each turn, or even just something like a free lucky charm?

I think if those three things were changed he'd still be true to the spirit of tabletop and really good.
    Perl Fisher likes this.
  5. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    Now, HOLY DUCKING SHEET. Those stats are totally, hilariously OP. I mean... If I count right according to your numbers.... W 3-5/M 5/A 1/WS 35-45/*BS 45-55*/S 25-35/*I 55-65*/Ld ?65-85?/
    That is actally really OP. I mean you can now have these mini-vampires, but way faster and with ridiculous shooting. You can outshoot almost anyone. Halflings are now officially totally useless. AND EXCUSE ME, MAGIC INVOLVED????
    That seems totally broken to me. Totally broken. Do not own one yet, but...I mean...

I am very glad that the game keeps getting updates and all but...this doesn't seem right to me.
    Could anyone please make sum on what he can actually do? (Skills, stats...)
  6. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    you are right on for the stat line.

he has access to all standard merc combat skills, shooting skills, speed skills. He starts with wyrdstone hunter and can learn lesser magic with a tome. He can get a second rank of the speed skill that doubles your detection range (tripling it). he has two unique skills, one to gain 50% magic resist, and one to reroll all his actions (they are same as the sisters of sigmar magic resist and the augurs rerolls if you know the sisters), those both appear under academic.

He has full access to the standard equipment of a merc warband, plus the magic stuff like staves.

He does not get strength skills except for + str and + wounds, so no access to armor training, which slows him down a little compared to a vamp, but he can teleport with lesser magic....so...
    studer1972 and CzaRus like this.
  7. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    Ok, thx for reply. Yeah, he is broken. Basically a warlock/marienburg/whatever mixture which makes buying halflings, warlocks and dwarves totally pointless, as he wil best them and normal mercs like nothing.... The worst part is you can have 4 of these demi-gods, am I right? Nerf please. Those stats and magic on top of it need both nerfing.
  8. Enajien Major

Message Count:
    So far it's refreshing to have a new hiresword that can compete with the ogre. I honestly don't think the Elf is stronger than the Ogre, just used for different things. Sure the Elf is stronger than the halfling and dwarf... they are not good hiredswords and you basically didn't use them unless you needed something cheaper than an Ogre.
  9. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    They can’t change armor so armor training for ithilmar would be unnecessary.
  10. Algirdas25 Major

Message Count:
    Elf with sniper rifle , gromil armor, better stats, acces to magic, special skills
    And you can have 4 these guys?
    What da f###!?

F###ing elves. ...
  11. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    Halflings are still quite viable. Properly geared up and leveled, they’re -45 to hit. All they have to do is stay just out range forcing the elves to come to them. Also, lesser magic isn’t that fantastic since there’s a permanent-25% to success. They can’t wear robes either. They can use a staff but the ithilmar sword is probably the better option.
  12. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    Nope. But at least the halfling mask looks AWESOME on them.

I suppose it’s also worth mentioning that adding a third or fourth elf is probably cost prohibitive for most players. I made one warband with four elves and one human just for kicks but, quite unlike halflings, I’ll probably never make a second one.

916E9BCD-D7E2-491B-A7C9-841B379965C0.jpeg
  13. Algirdas25 Major

Message Count:
    -25% isn't big deal, flight of zimmer man and luck of shemtek will still work most of time,
    Perl Fisher likes this.
  14. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    Yes, technically, but they’re the only two that do. As for it not being a big deal, I suppose it depends on your frustration threshold. Yours is probably higher than mine. Experientially, 55% means too many games in a row for my taste where it never works at all. If you don’t mind those fail streaks, then I’m quit happy for you. Once in a while Flight of Zimmeran is handy for grabbing a shard after I’ve fired but that’s about it. I just end up ignoring spells altogether 99.99% of the time.
    Algirdas25 likes this.
  15. Algirdas25 Major

Message Count:
    High initative +Flight of Zimerman + repeater handgun + double shot vs poor hans with comet hammer = profit

65% , elf ranger has already hight initiative, so i don´t see need for ithlirmar sword over magic staff
    And if you want melle, spend xp on leadership and flame sword, when spell will work, it will stay
    CzaRus likes this.
  16. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    “Melee?” With a ranger? You do you man but the only reason I’d equip the ithilmar sword besides cosmetics is that +10 initiative bonus. As far as I understand, there’s no cap on initiative. As long as that’s true, then there’s no such thing as enough since moving in stealth, delaying their turn, firing from stealth, and returning to stealth makes them immortal. You clearly favor the magic stuff over raw lethality though which is totally fine. Whatever playstyle is the most fun for the respective player is the one that’s ultimately best anyway.
  17. Algirdas25 Major

Message Count:
    Max cap is 90 for stats
    2.ranger can work quite well in melee, so why not?
    3. Magic not always work, but when it do, it do it job better than raw leathality
  18. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    The cap on leadership is 90 but it doesn’t make sense to do that for all stats. Initiative higher than 90 is useful for determining turn order. Why throw out a core game mechanic when people level high enough? There are spells that do more than 9 points of damage so why should strength be limited? Until just recently, I hadn’t played the game in months so it’s certainly possible that they changed something. If you would be kind enough to point me to the post where you read that, I’d be most appreciative.
  19. Algirdas25 Major

Message Count:
    90 cap for stats was added to game with rending claws skill (for ghouls)
    So have funn looking for that post, im to lazy
    In short it was added to deal with :
    Tank vampires with over100 defence = auto armor pass
    2 100 leadership= auto pas ld test (63 base +25upgrade + 5 from armor + 10 from hat)
    3. Spellcaster cap with 110 weapons skill in rare cases (35 base + 30 upgrade + (10) pit fighter+ 20 flaming sword + unstopable charge (15)

Edit: it think i found it
    Post is called
    Sugestion balance pass, read trapsinger posts
  20. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    You’re on the right track with that post reference. Thank you. I do appreciate it. I was actually around for that. They later confirmed some changes here: https://forums.legendary-games.com/index.php?threads/new-action-items.6627/ Thankfully, none of the changes or even suggestions at that time were pertinent to initiative. There’s no 100% chance to hit/block/dodge/pass anything (which is a good thing) but it doesn’t effect turn order (which would be horrible).