Elf Rangers for Hire!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Ewan Lamont, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    Actually that's a good point, about them not being able to change their armour.

I assumed that they could change their armor because when you click on their armour on the equipment page, it shows all of the other armour available to everyone else in the warband. Normally if you see if on the equip page you can wear it, but rangers can't. Why are they different? And why is it only for the armour? Were they meant to be able to wear it and the button is missing/bugged? Or are they meant to not be able to see it, and the flags are wrong? Seems like a bug either way.
    Shangular likes this.
  2. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    So I've been playing a warband consisting of one human and four elves extensively and I've come to some conclusions regarding their power and it isn't all roses. The good news is that, given a small learning curve, anything with initiative greater than or equal to an elf can kill it easily enough in PVP or against the AI. When the elves have the initiative advantage (which will be the norm) they still won't be much of a threat in single player if and only if the AI doesn't delay their turns.

In PVP however, where their turns will be delayed unless the elf player makes a mistake, the answer (in part) depends on the following: assuming an elf has no melee weapon equipped, can a Reiklander with maxed initiative (including gear) pull a maxed speed skills elf (with no gear) out of sneak when in near base contact? If the answer is yes, then the rest is fine tuning which I will largely leave to others. If the answer is no, then what we actually have is a significant problem.
  3. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    I was finally able to answer the above question and, fortunately, the answer is yes. A generic run of the mill Reiklander with just a lantern and sufficient investment in initiative can easily expose an elf. Elves have great starting stats at level one and a big head start on initiative compared to many units. It's really those two truths, far more than anything else, that can make them feel overpowered in the beginning. That feeling does go away by higher levels where maxed initiative and gromril become increasingly common. Since they start with a bow, taking away black powder would do nothing for their early game but it would change later levels from fun to disappointing.
  4. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    If someone were to take the time to level up 4 Elf Rangers to max out the skills, this could be a very OP warband. People focus on their high BS which is good. But don't forget they also have a high WS, which you can max to 75. Those who know the mechanics of the mobile game know that WS is the key to doing damage. Now arm these guys with a skull hammer to limit opponent's defenses to 20, give them the Flight spell, and you'll have a warband of 5 guys (4 elves plus a captain) that can shoot and easily hit and run in close combat (with 4 attacks each) as well. Forgot ogres, you can have these guys attack an ogre, than fly up a building so the ogre can't attack back.

You can have them all drink crimson shade to bump up their str if need be or if you want to invest the time, get them the sword spell for a 95 WS and 5 attacks. The 95 WS is actually a better defense than armor itself.

If only I had the time to build up such a warband....
  5. Erkebrand Private

Message Count:
    Flight spell don't work half of the times on them because of the armor, the magic bow has mostly same success rate, and allows you to shoot 6 times combined with the elven bow and quick shoot, the flame sword gets a very low cast chance, but if it's summoned it will last for long with that leadership.

Something to consider is their skill to reroll, combined with what you have said it's hard to beat them in melee, they repeat when they hit or when they are under attack, and can get a reasonable parry to help.

I'm enjoying a lot with them, but having 4 of them seems OP even to me, and I don't want to say this, but maybe having a limit of 1 or 2 per band like other characters like vampires or priests could be appropriate. I personally think this should be a rule for almost any hired sword.

Does any of you have equipped them with guns or crossbows? They have the skill tree, but can they equip those items?
  6. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    Yes my friend, they can indeed equip any of those items. Devs pls nerf
    Algirdas25 likes this.