Encourage PVP

The game may have reached 100k downloads, but it doesn't feel like it in PVP. Games don't take much time, and it shouldn't take long to get a match up if the traffic is high. This morning, I got stuck for 5 minutes with only PVP choice being White Council (that OP 191 rating Marienburg team of 5 Warlocks and 2 Snipers with Elf Bow). No way I wanted to play him (I guess nobody else wanted to) and he must have been spinning again for PVP the moment the 1 minute timer ran out.

In all cases, there should be more traffic in PVP. Could it be that PVP is not enough rewarding? Compared to AI, games in PVP take a bit longer to be over. They're also harder, since AI is not that smart.

What could be done to encourage players to PVP? Here are some suggestions :

1- Make PVP more rewarding (gold, shards, Wyrdstones, Experience Points) so that players default to PVP instead of anything else.

2- Force a choice upon Warband's creation : either AI only, or PVP only. That way, no one will farm xps and gold in AI games for the purpose of having the perfect team for PVP. This feature could also be enhanced with PVP Hardcore (a third choice in which death and injuries are permanent).

3- Set up seasons and tournaments, so that players are encouraged into a competition. Otherwise, any newbie gets in the game and is fighting against a crowd of veteran warbands that are too strong for their ratings.

4- Add a chat feature in PVP so we can interact with opponent.

5- Don't show who is hosting PVP game. It's unfair anyway because one of the two players know what his opposition will be, while the other is completely in the dark (until first encounter). Also, it makes players selective of the games they want to play.

6- Offer "inducements" to the warband with lower rating, like a free hired sword or random stats bonuses (+5-10 WS or BS, +3 Wounds, etc.). This could be an automatic feature, to skip the time it will take to choose what inducements a team will take. But with such a feature, games will be more fair. It will remove the underdog xps bonus, but this will be no big deal if all PVP games are already more rewarding (see #1).

7- Matchmaking should not only consider Rating, but also the win-lose percentage or streak. If at all possible, a player on a 5 wins streak should be matched with a player of the same calibre, and not a player who's been massacred for the last 5 games.

Shangular

Brigadier
I think PVP is pretty much dead for high level warbands because of the warband ratings factor (it won't show an opponent whos rating is twice as high as yours). When my warband was low rated (below 500) PVP matches were easy to find. Now that it's over 12,000, it's almost impossible. I think I've only been able to find 1 opponent over the past few months. The issue is that there are few warbands in the higher rating levels so finding an opponent is difficult.

My suggestion in another thread was perhaps to limit the maximum level obtainable (for example Max level 20, my Captain is currently at Level 82). That way the maximum rating a warband could achieve would be like around 3,000 - 4,000. Now if a majority of players can easily achieve that rating, PVP should be more frequent. This is a concept in other MMO's I've played that had PVP. Each character had the same maximum level that can easily be achieved by anyone. Once you get to that level, everyone can PVP equally in terms of level/rating.

Agree that tournaments and PVP seasons would be good too, but there are some balancing issues that need to be done first before that can happen. For example older Merc warbands can get a maximum Initiative of 77 where current ones can only get 65.

I think PVP is pretty much dead for high level warbands because of the warband ratings factor (it won't show an opponent whos rating is twice as high as yours). When my warband was low rated (below 500) PVP matches were easy to find. Now that it's over 12,000, it's almost impossible. I think I've only been able to find 1 opponent over the past few months. The issue is that there are few warbands in the higher rating levels so finding an opponent is difficult.

[...]

Agree that tournaments and PVP seasons would be good too, but there are some balancing issues that need to be done first before that can happen. For example older Merc warbands can get a maximum Initiative of 77 where current ones can only get 65.
Don’t take me wrong, but while you’re busy leveling up your warband to 12000 rating, that’s one less player to play with others at a level that would encourage the community to grow, instead of the elite entertaining each others.

The problem you’ve mentioned about old warbands would be solved if the PVP server would reset at the beginning of each season. No warband would be deleted permanently, but moved to AI server only, so you can play again with that team in the future. But for the purpose of PVP, a refresh once in a while would be very healthy.

Shangular

Brigadier
What I was hoping would happen with a Level Cap implementation is that it would eliminate all high level warbands (including myself) as the maximum anyone would be able to achieve is around 3,000 - 4,000 which could be easily achievable for a majority of players. Or reduce it further to 1,000 or whatever makes sense based on the current distribution of warbands today but with the intent to open up PVP experience as the maximum rating is capped for everyone. Unfortunately the reply was this was too much to handle from a programming perspective at the moment. (see the other thread I had about Level Limitations)

I don't think moving to an AI only server would be required then if a level maximum cap is implemented. Just like other games with PVP, you usually level up yourself in PVE to a max level before entering serious PVP.

The idea of seasons and tracking W/L would be good to keep continuity of the warband as people wouldn't want to retire it but see how it does in the next season.

I can't help but feel the community is super small. Lack of views on the forum, and low level of feedback (except from 2-3 users), are clear indications of this, IMHO. There may have been 100k downloads, but what needs to be done to bring people together around this game, as an active community, has either not be done so far or has failed.

A simple call for strategies, tips and tricks to help fill out the Wiki has received absolutely no answer. That's not normal. Being greedy with your winning strategies may serve you well short term, but that's not how you build a community of active and interested players. People want to have fun, and winning is part of it. If newbies are constantly losing in PVP and getting discouraged, that's a sure way of killing a great game mid and long term.

I had a lot of time yesterday to PVP, and too often I just wrecked an opponent that chose to match up against me (frankly, in their place, if the opportunity popped up on my screen, I would have thought the matchmaking system to put up something fair - only now I know better). Newbies don't know what they're doing, and that their 150 rating Warband is no match for a good player with a 250 rating Warband (even at 100). Having a chat in game would at least allow veterans to share ideas and strategies with the recruits.

Do people even know that the community is here on this forum? Trafic is certainly not as high here as it is on Steam. Has somebody ever thought about moving the forum there, on Steam? At least, Steam is mobile friendly (while here, on my phone, it is quite painful).

Also, please, pretty please, do avoid Discord for anything that should be archived. Bugs, strategies and support should be on a forum (here or elsewhere), to at least pop up on a Google Search. Also, posting here instead of Discord will create trafic, and with higher trafic will come bigger crowd of better players.

Can you please add a feature that would show who is online, at what's the rating of their Warband? I've been spinning for 10 minutes, hoping for a matchup (rating 400)... But maybe I should just upload a lower level team, if there's no one within my range?