Explanation of combat mechanic please

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Speigas, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Abides Private

Message Count:
    Great mechanic on the strength, makes it almost linear.
    Can you post the formulas for warband rating? I'd like to know if I'm adding to rating without any boosts in warband performance in the city.
  2. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    I think info like the WS/combat details are really important to know, but I'm not sure having it in-app is the best way. It would be easy to have an overwhelming amount of info in-game, and I wonder if it might drive off new players. I think it's a decent balance to have some things in-game, but have all the details here and on the wiki (which is where I often check for teh exact details for other games as well). That's my thoughts, at least :)
    OverWatch likes this.
  3. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    I would have to agree that those details might be a bit overwhelming for new players! But it'd be great for them to be stored somewhere, like on the Wiki (as Morjax said). So we'll see what we can do in order to get that all setup... me and Morjax may have to knuckle down (when he has time to).
  4. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    The wiki should also have a list of all the possible weapons, with stats, details, requirements, and explanation about what differences between the specials (like chance to stun) if known. If you can get the rate of appearance from the dev's as well that would be awesome.
    OverWatch likes this.
  5. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:

It's not the most graceful solution, but I have put together this sheet for my own interest until this info can be added to the wiki. It includes gear along with stats and price ranges they've been seen at, as well as a sheet for tracking character stat ranges and another sheet for tracking battle rewards. Feel free to use it as you see fit, and I'm open to all suggestions!

Also, open invite to anyone who feels motivated to do so: anyone can edit the wiki if that's something that floats your boat! I'm bad at staking out time to work on it, but I don't want to deprive you the opportunity just because of me :)
    OverWatch likes this.
  6. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Nicely done! It's missing a few items though, including the Visored Helm, and Gromril Great Sword.

Also the great weapons have unlocks if you have advanced sword mastery.

Any chance the dev's would be able to provide drop rates?
  7. edward Corporal

Message Count:
    Just a quick question regarding strength.. if I have a guy with 60 strength what is the average damage he should be doing? Because I feel lots of my guys do 1-2 damage most often. Also regarding item prices what factors affect cost? Sometimes I see items for much more or much less than I previously saw them, I thought warband size or rating maybe?
    Adam likes this.
  8. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    Strength was outlined some in reply #12 of this thread. Seems to me you should be doing more damage, but it's also modified by parry and block. If I remember right, armor is used to debuff enemy chance to hit rather than actually reducing the damage dealt (if the gromril longsword gets through a crack in the armor, it's gonna do some damage).

As for prices/rarity, I think they're just modified by your leader's related skills (streetwise, haggle, etc). There seems to be some natural variation in cost of equipment, including superior weapons ending up cheaper than inferior ones... so keep your eyes peeled for good deals!
  9. edward Corporal

Message Count:
    Yeah it's not adding up for my warriors, they are rarely doing damage equal to their strength on successful hits. The two handed guys sometimes do... But mostly it's not on par with their strength scores. Very strange.
  10. edward Corporal

Message Count:
    On another note, does anyone know what the modifier for being in cover is? It'd be handy to know just how helpful that wall or barrel is for my warriors advancing into unfriendly fire.
  11. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:

It may have changed, but it had been either on of off. I think that was actually earlier in this thread, if memory serves (which it often does not). Cover simply provided a to-hit penalty for ranged attacks in an on/off manner.
  12. ScubaSteve Major

Message Count:
    So much this game is very well thought out, I really enjoy seeing the background details.
    morjax likes this.
  13. Rncry Private

Message Count:
    Please include this kind of info in the game itself, it'd be really useful! Before I found this forum it all seemed baffling and I had no idea what any of the stats really meant!
  14. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Unfortunately, as we're working with limited screen space there's a lot of data that we have to miss out.

We hope that the Mordheim: WS Wiki will contain a lot of the data which is missing, and clear up any aspects of the game that go unexplained that could be potentially confusing. There's a lot of work to be done, but with the communities help we'll get there, eventually!
  15. Rncry Private

Message Count:
    How about just some extra manual pages in a menu somewhere? As a new player I found it very confusing, and I imagine not everyone will bother to search for this forum or find you on twitter. Might improve retention?
    Overwatch likes this.
  16. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    If it's possible for us to do without it looking too cluttered, and clunky, we'll be sure to look into that. We have added A LOT of in-game hints which are supposed to prompt players when they first encounter something or use something for the first time. This is supposed to give the player a brief explanation of some of the rules.

We also briefly explain how the stats work when you tap on the different icons from the Camp screen and Tavern/Burrows.

Not everyone will bother to visit the forums, our twitter, or the Wiki. But as this is an adaptation of a tabletop game the rules are vast, and a rulebook already exists for the original Mordheim game. So as you can imagine, it'd be a lot of work to put all of that into our mobile game... IF people want to look up the rules then at least those options will be in place for them. Once the Wiki is completed we may even link that in-game for ease of access too.

Maybe there could be a cool way that we could set up our own rule book in game for players to refer to. It's definitely an idea.
  17. Simone Private

Message Count:
    Could you explain how damage is handled? It seems to me the greater the difference between my roll and the chance to hit is, the more damage I do. When I hit with a ranged weapon in nearly close combat, I do more damage than when I'm far away.
  18. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:

The devs can chime in with more accurate descriptions, but here's a primer:
    * Weapon skill determines your chance to hit
    * Strength determines your possible range of damage (more strength equals higher cap to your damage range)
    * Critical hits double the damage of the attack
    * A successful parry reduces incoming damage by 3 points
    * A successful block negates incoming damage (?)
    * Armor reduces the enemy's chance to hit you, as does your weapon skill (?)

That's my recollection, at least.
    Simone likes this.
  19. Adam Private

Message Count:
    Have to agree here. With two of my armbands, undead and reikland, I get the feeling of under strength hits.
    The reiklanders with hockland rifles will cause 0-2 damage a shot. Yet NPC bow shots hit back for 2-6. Undead warriors, sitting at 70-80 strength (great axe) are 0-1 damage unless it's a crit. But NPC with a one handed sword will hit back for consistent 6. I've swapped one warrior out to sword and shield, but have seen no change to damage taken/delt.
  20. edward Corporal

Message Count:
    Seems a shame I can only gain XP on winning with member's who knock the enemy out, sometimes from underdog bonus I get xp on members across the board but most battles I'm just getting xp on my veterans. If I send my new models into the fray and they participate surely some XP is warranted? maybe if they cause zero damage or make zero attacks, yes, that might be good to stop leaders from farming xp for their passive newbloods but yeah, it does seem a bit hard to level up new members.
    What's the deal with XP received anyway? Seems hit and miss.