Fate and other unexplained things

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by REkzkaRZ, Jun 4, 2017.

1. REkzkaRZ Private

Message Count:
    Played game first time until 3 people died. I'd already used all the Fate points. Huh, guess its game over?
    Restarted with new warband. No new Fate points!! Ouch!
    Wasn't explained initially that Fate points are premium currency which arent earned in-game. So healing minor wounds in beginning might not be recommended?

I think this is a horrible implementation of a cool mechanic. Devs probably want to reward committed players, not make them feel punished when their team croaks painfully and can't heal.
    Dont get me wrong -- I'm a a rogue-playing permadeath loving gamer! But if every permadeath featured a pop-up saying "pay $3 and your beloved hero can survive", I'd feel like I was being gouged.

Seems like teams might earn Fate points -- leveling up could create one (or one at lvl 5, one at lvl 10, etc), or great acts might create one (You hero killed 3 opponents and earned a Fate point), and so on.
    When a player starts a new Warband, shouldn't you reset the Fate points to 3? Not doing so makes the game seem fickle. (Makes me want to reset my cache on mobile device & see if 3 points come back...?)

I also don't understand some other features:
    Wyrdstone exchange rates -- why am I asked after each scuffle how many I want to sell? Do rates vary? Is there a reason to horde them? Can Wyrdstones enchant my gear?? Unclear.

I never see anyone parry. When successful parry happens, is it indicated?

How does defense number work?

Certain skills seem unclear. A little more explanation of weapons mastery, sword masteruly, etc? Does this skill relate to where weapons show a number in parentheses after, ie 0 (25%)?

Range on weapons is unclear in combats. A radius might help? Running ranges are also somewhat unclear -- a grid system, scale, or reference might help me to run just two steps away from where opponent can max move & attack, rather than run into their range.

Percentage in combat -- is it percent chance to hit, or percentage of max damage delivered? I hate when enemy shoots me from faaaaar away for 1 (while Im in cover), but I shoot back w/5% chance to hit? Or miss with 35% chance?

Are there advantages to position & facing in melee? Why do my guys run out of cover to hit when they could hit from a covered position? Is this a bug?

Morale -- had a battle where my team of 3 faced 5 opponents. One of mine dropped, 4 of there's dropped, and as I was a move from coup de gras on lone remaining stunned guy, my team panics and runs?!?!? I get that under 50% health you might run, but logically that made no sense. Perhaps a tweak, "Your team won't run when all opponents are stunned" or "if opponents are outnumbered and stunned, your team doesnt run"?

Weapons - Strength rating affects damage? What affects chance to stun? Why does one person consistently do crits with an axe, but others with daggers almost never? Why can't people with two handed weapons holster them and carry a ranged weapon and then switch weapons?? Which daggers are throwable? Do you get unlimited ammo for throwing daggers? And how does unarmed combat work?

Stats -- which ones vary and which are constant? Does anyone come with two attacks?

Skills -- when I click the level "sun" in stats in camp, it doesn't show all the skills, just starting skills. It should show all the skills obtained. When skills get unlocked bc prerequisites are met, can this be indicated with a symbol & not just no more lock symbol? Can items boosting a stat unlock a prerequisite?

Teams -- why do all the fighters look like Tom Selleck? Some hair difs, but all the same faces? Strange. Id mention race and gender, but so many RPGs are Anglo-Saxon males only, so I dont want to beat a dead horse here. (But I will mention it is racist to have all white heroes and darker villains, aka Lord of the Rings films!)

Thanks for this game! I'm a fan...
    morjax likes this.
  2. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    I think a lot of people have been echoing this to be honest. There's quite a few forum topics about fate points.

You get 21-24 gold for the first stone, and then 7 for the 2, 9 for the 3rd, and it alternates between 11-12 for the rest going up. So I always sell 1 stone per game until I get enough (7+) to sell in a group to get the most gold from them.

You can't do anything else with the stones apart from selling them, so far. It's highly likely that the Skaven will do horrible things with them.

Where the damage appears, if there's an icon with 2 crossed swords then some of the damage was parried.

One of the dev's posted it here: http://forums.legendary-games.com/index.php?threads/explanation-of-combat-mechanic-please.3469/

You are correct, it's badly explained in the app I do agree, but that is what it does.

Ohh I like it! Although according to Games Workshop's Mordheim rules, that would be pre-measuring and therefore not allowed.

That's the chance to hit.

Nope. And you can't attack through cover, it's to high to reach a weapon over.

Why? If they are half done they start to panic, and it's down to the leader to keep everyone together. As he can't see everyone how would he know if they are all stunned? I agree it's annoying, but it's part of the game.

Strength is max damage, it's 1 for every 10 STR, and then a 10% chance for an extra one for each point left. So 55 STR would do 5 damage with a 50% chance to do 6.

Crit's are a stat on your people, check the number out. You can't crit with daggers unless you have a skill. Axe's have a high crit rate.

In skirmishes you don't have time to swap weapons! Also it would weight more and slow you down. I always use two handed weapons, and I think carrying a bow as well would be silly.

Don't do unarmed combat! Your enemy gets a defence bonus against you!

Some of the merc's probably do, but most come with 1 attack. You need to use skill points to get to 40WS to buy a 2nd attack, and 50WS for a 3rd. You can then get Combat Master for an extra attack when there's multiple enemies. And if you're lucky enough to get Frenzy, then you get to double them!

Just checked, clicking the sun shows all skills that person has unlocked for themselves.
    REkzkaRZ and morjax like this.
  3. edward Major

Message Count:
    Is there anywhere we can see the hard statistics for things like fear checks? Or the injuries table for what happens to champs put out of action after combat? All good information here so far thanks.
    REkzkaRZ and morjax like this.
  4. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    The fear check is a leadership rolls. So whatever your leadership is, that's the % chance you'll pass.

If your leader is close enough (6 'spaces') then you can use his leadership for the test instead.
    REkzkaRZ likes this.
  5. edward Major

Message Count:
    Ahhh that's the leadership AOE effect thing.. good to know! So Reikland captains effectively get 12' leadership AOE? Cool.
  6. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    There's a skill to increase it another 6' as well that everyone can get. You need a minimum of 80 leadership to unlock it.
  7. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    Great questions REkzkaRZ, and great answers, Etherkye! :applause:

Good luck out there!
    REkzkaRZ likes this.
  8. REkzkaRZ Private

Message Count:
    Thanks for your responses!

Note: as much of my last team died, I did wipe cache and restart -- with 3 Fate points.
    Since this is doable, we should probably also have that ability with each new Warband.
    3 Fate points is clearly not much, and as we can't renew in-game, its only a few stops vs doom.

My new group all has min 5 wounds to start. IMO this is one of the most significant things I learned from Forum.
    Would like to know if there's a 'best build' thread saying how people build out their higher level warriors? I was saddened to level up Init and just miss the 40 needed for free attack on runners, etc.

From Warhammer FRP, I recall # of attacks being a most essential upgrade. Do people think the same for this game?
  9. REkzkaRZ Private

Message Count:
    Update -- after wiping cache, I had 3 Fate points.
    Logging in today, I now show 1 Fate point.
    Guess there's no workaround?
  10. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Well it depends on what you want to do.

Attacks mean you can kill faster, which means you're less likely to take damage, however wounds keep you alive longer.

I run great swords and heavy armour, so my first buy in ARMOUR TRAINING to keep their speed up. I then raise WS till I can get to 2 ATK. After that I focus on STR and WOUNDS. You need 1 level of STR upgrades for each level of WOUNDS upgrades you want. STR isn't that useful on range though, where you should focus on BS instead. Once I finish WOUNDS I go back to WS to get the 3rd ATTACK.

At some point early it's a good idea to get advanced weapon training in your chosen weapon, this unlocks the stats in () on the weapons, normally extra strength or lowered penalties.

Your leader should get some of the academic skills like STREETWISE and HAGGLE. I think I bought them far to late. Between them you get 20% more choices, and 20% off (not sure which is which as they have the same description).

My main three have finished with them, and I now mostly focus on anything that increases my defence and parry so that I can keep myself alive for longer.

However there is no right way to do it!
  11. edward Major

Message Count:
    More attacks is a huge benefit Absolutely. Being struck 6 (or more!) times by a frenzied warrior with a gromril weapon is going to be a bad time for anyone.I usually level my warriors for attacks, weapon proficiency and then focus on building their strength and hp to max.

Marksmen are same, then get ambush and whatnot to shoot everything advancing to pieces from the shadows. Not as exciting and more expensive in XP... but super effective. 1 properly specced marksman can absolutely take down an entire squad with the best equipment. Just watch them slowly losing HP and backstep when necessary.

This plan can fail if one of their closing Mercs makes an exceptional spot check but I don't see that happen often as not many warriors put points into that initiative talent. Just imagine trying to close on 7 well positioned stealthed marksmen.. good luck.
  12. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Sorry :(
  13. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Noted! Thanks for the suggestion.

I would highly recommend getting your skills up in more attacks, and (depending on the weapons you're using) go for either weapon master/advanced weapon master. I managed to secure a pretty hefty critical hit chance on one of my units (before he died) and he was a complete powerhouse. Multiple attacks with a 2H weapon are pretty brutal.