Fate or Adverts to Avoid injury or Death

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Auretious Taak, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    Mordheim Warband Skirmish is a great game. It tries its' best to faithfully recreate the tabletop game that still has a huge community of gamers worldwide that support and continue to evolve the game (including the games' creator) almost a decade and a half after official support for the system ceased. Warband Skirmish isn't like the PC Mordheim game - it isn't overly complicated with excessive amounts of skills to bog the enjoyment of the game down, it takes the tabletop game and transplants it into a viable video game medium and it is highly enjoyable as a whole, regardless of current match making balance and warband rating issues.

Last update (not the Ogre one) people who didn't have fate that had a warrior injure themselves had the option to either buy fate to heal all injuries or to watch an advertisement to heal all that warriors' injuries instead. I looked at this with mixed feelings. On the one hand I appreciated that Legendary Games is only a small mobile gaming company and so integrating advertisements into their game in a non-intrusive, make a choice way was a means to generate more income for the company and directly allow more content for their games to develop. That's not an issue. It's fiscally smart and responsible because it is non-intrusive to the player and gives them freedom of choice - heal for fate, heal by watching an advertisement, or don't heal the injuries.

However, yesterday I bought 50 fate. I like this game and by extension I want to support it so as it can grow further. I had a warrior die and didn't want to waste the time to grind out a new one to that level, so using fate to bring him back to life was a good choice in my humble opinion. But now when my warriors get injured (rather then killed), I don't have that option of watching an advertisement to heal injuries. I have to spend fate that I acquired using real money to financially support legendary games. Why am I in effect being punished to use my money to heal injuries when other people who aren't supporting the company and their games don't have to pay real money to heal their injuries? It's literally spitting in our faces and telling us that you don't want us to support you because it is better that we don't for anything other then death of a warband member. Whilst I bought fate to heal a dead warrior, I also bought it to hire some hired swords so I didn't have to waste that most precious of commodities to us as living beings - time. So it was a fair invetsment there, instead of saving the gold from grinding against ai opponents for easy income (well, easier then vs players who take a lot longer to play and so slow you down significantly in said income grind). What I didn'te xpect was to suddenly not be given the same options in healing injuries on myw arriros because I decided to support Legendary Games and Mordheim Warband Skirmish with actual money.

Personally I see 2 solutions to this:

1) You, as Legendary Games implement the heal injuries by watching an advertisement for people who have fate as well as people who don't have fate; or

2) You remove the ability to heal injuries entirely from the game (leaving the reviving of a dead warrior for fate as is - I assume it just revives them not heals all their injuries too, if it heals all injuries as well, this should be changed to just reviving them, afterall if someone has a shattered leg and they have a heart attack and are brought back from deaths embrace then they still have a shattered leg). This is actually a move I would support more then the first one because accrued injuries and dealing with them is a large part of what makes Mordheim, the tabletop game, enjoyable and challenging (although the rate at which skaven fail stupidity tests seems way, way too high as it stands, Leadership 5 or 6 on the tabletop outside of the leaders' 7 and suddenly in Warband Skirmish you are passing 2, maybe 3 out of 10 leadership tests for stupidity it in effect makes retaining that warrior a liability, that just sucks in Warband Skirmish and is far higher then what happens in the tabletop game, especially because there are so many ways to buff leadership in the tabletop that there aren't in Skirmish and that Skirmish doesn't take the heroes and henchmen approach outside of the leader and so there are not a larger portion of higher leadership models in warbands with low leadership.

I went off topic a bit, let me get back to it: As it stands now, a person who invests in your game with their money is in effect punished for doing that when it comes to the healing of injured warriors. Suddenly with fate in their account, they cannot use a feature that allows them to heal their warriors at the cost of some of their own time and watching an advertisement that directly supports your company in its' viewing. You already have their money, why can't they view an advertisement that generates more money for you because they've spent money to support you already?

As it stands now, myself, and a great many others are disillusioned with your priorities as a gaming company and are either not going to invest any more money into the game or have stopped playing altogether.

As it stands now, you, Legendary Games, need to address this.

To the community, what are your feelings on this issue? Please be objective and don't use it as an excuse to act like an ape who has discovered the excellent and pleasing aerodynamic qualities of their own excrement.

Edit: At the mods, this is the second time in as many days I've gone to post a response or create a trhead that had more then on eparagrapgh and it is all formatted when I hit post reply or create thread it instead converts it to a solid wall of text without said formatting. Can you fix this. Having to go back and re-edit a post is tedious and not always immediately possible.
    Deadhiel and Cypher like this.
  2. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I agree that the option to heal by watching an advertisement should be available to use even if you still have Fate points.
  3. _Q_ Corporal

Message Count:
    You lost me at "literally spitting in our faces". :rolleyes:
    Keovar likes this.
  4. Gurslak Corporal

Message Count:
    I agree that the option to watch an ad when you have Fate points would be nice, but Legendary Games are far from greedy or even slightly money grubbing. Go play War Robots for a truly cash grabbing extortion experience.
  5. Cypher Corporal

Message Count:
    Hyperbolic statements aside, for the most part, he presented his view fairly well and I can understand his frustration. The core idea remains sound, however it is up to Legendary Games to see how they wish to deal with it as they are best suited to know what they are fiscally and technologically capable of implementing.
    Deadhiel and Auretious Taak like this.
  6. _Q_ Corporal

Message Count:
    Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. Legendary's income derives largely from Fate purchases - I rather doubt the ad income is particularly significant, based on my more intimate knowledge of other games' revenue streams. It's a fair compromise between protecting their income and supporting f2p players. It hardly warrants this level of hyperbole - although my comment was more directed at the egregious mis-use of the word "literally".
    Keovar likes this.
  7. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    If it's not significant all the more reason for them to give fate purchasing players the ability to heal themselves for free like the free to play players, or remove the ability to heal injuries (reviving the dead is different) altogether.

_Q_, you need to learn your English Grammar better:

literally
    ˈlɪt(ə)rəli/
    adverb
    adverb: literally
    1. in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
      "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout"

• informal
        used for emphasis while not being literally true.
        "I have received literally thousands of letters"
  8. _Q_ Corporal

Message Count:
    When I checked (yes, I am sad enough to have previously researched this), only three online dictionaries had included the informal (and incorrect) usage. The Oxford English Dictionary - the ultimate arbiter - does not.
    Keovar likes this.
  9. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    Online dictionaries, yet it mentions them. Hey look google define which I used for the above lists it. You say the Oxford English Dictionary is the ultimate arbiter despite multiple sources listing the informal or colloquial meaning as an exaggeration or used for emphasis, well guess what the 1976, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988 editions of the Oxford Pocket Dictionary all list it as 'an exaggeration used for emphasis'. Our library at home doesn't have a larger version then the 824 page pocket version, but hey, these books were around long before the internet and as you stated _Q_ are the ultimate arbiter. Now stop posting and making yourself look foolish.I did one google search of "Informal definition of Literally+Oxford English Dictionary" and went to the English website for Oxford English Dictionaries and got this:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/literally

adverb

• 1In a literal manner or sense; exactly.
      ‘the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout’
      ‘tiramisu, literally translated ‘pull-me-up’’
    1.1informal Used for emphasis while not being literally true.
    ‘I was literally blown away by the response I got’

So no idea what website you were using, but it certainly wasn't The Oxford English Dictionary, which as you stated, is the ultimate arbiter.

P.S. An informal use of a word is NOT an incorrect use of the word. It is a word used in a context whereby it has meaning correctly. Stating that informal use of a word is incorrect is you not understanding the basics of Grammar in the English Language.
  10. _Q_ Corporal

Message Count:
    I didn't look for it on a website - it is not included in my (admittedly rather ancient) paper copy. Whether or not it is now, I will literally never accept that colloquial misuse of a word (particularly where that misuse demonstrably originates from ignorance, as in this case) merits it's inclusion in a dictionary. :p
    Keovar likes this.
  11. Cypher Corporal

Message Count:
    Now I want to make a warband called the Oxford Arbiters (that could also work for Necromunda...)
    _Q_ and Auretious Taak like this.
  12. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    You didn't look for it on a website yet you state that you referenced online dictionaries. You tell us that onoly the Oxford English Dictionary is correct in use and definition so I show you a direct link to their website as well as citing 6 editions of one of their dictionaries dating back to 1976 and yet still you state that this cannot be takens eriously and that I colloquially misused said word which is in your vaunted dictionary and that my use of said word was because of my own ignorance of its' meaning and you want us to take you seriouslyhow? I did not misuse the word. You're the one sticking their hands over their eyes and blocking their ears and refusing to accept that they were wrong and would much rather keep digging a hole to demonstrate how much of a stubbornly stupid fool they are. Well done _Q_, how's it feel to be so stubborn that even when a logical, sound and referenced from multiple sources including your own arguement disproves all that you say yet you just can't be mature ebnough to accept taht you learnt something new today on the internetz and dear gods your world just froze over.

You know, years and years ago, I used to be so stubborn that I'd refuse toa cknowledge when I was wrong even when such hefty arguments would disprove my stance.And then I learnt this very valuable thing in life - it's okay to be wrong, and knowing when to accept defeat and learn from it is mch more a sign of an intelligent and strong person then stubbornly refusing to the point that everyone is going to just dismiss whatever you have to say on the subject.

I must admit, I'm half tempted to spend a few weeks posting with informal language to just REALLY do your head in.

Although, I REALLY could mess with you by posting antiquated language terminology that you've probably never heard of and yet by the above you're still going to profess that my knowledge and grasp of the Grammar of the English language is flawed, misused and full of ignorance. Which is really sad to be honest.

Back on Topic please.
  13. Gurslak Corporal

Message Count:
    I love how argumentative, defensive and passionate folks get about the interpretation of a word.
    Deadhiel and Auretious Taak like this.
  14. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    P.S. _Q_, Stop being so arrogant as to believe that English is the only primary language people speak or write here _Q_. This is an international medium and in case you haven't noticed, but many warband names are in many different languages other then English. If you're gonna go off topic and rip apart peoples' English you're going to piss off someone eventually whose English understanding is a result of their 2nd, 3rd, 4th or greater language learning. this is the internet, the ONLY RULE THAT MATTERS is this: Can you understand what has been said/posted? If so, accept it and move on. It's a common form of respect for everyone bcause you don't actually know what language backgrounds people have here, you're assuming and you know that old saying about assuming, the one of where you make an ASS of U and ME, that applies here.

I honestly don't care how people write, I can udnerstand incredibly broken English because I've gamed online for a decade and a half now and have been ina lliances of players where only a few people spoke English and itw as broken as all heck, and you very quickly just accept it and move on making do as best you can. Abnd that goes back to before translation tools were commmonly available for free online.

Stop criticising people's language use when you admit that you will refuse to acknowledge and accept current definitions as they stand in the language (even if their use has been demonstrated, as above, back 42 years in printed media because dear gods your version doesn't have the word in it) . Languages evolve, The Oxford English Dictionary has recognised this ever since it was first published and adapted to the evolutionary change of the language with each edition it releases.

From the Oxford English Dictionary Website:

20 volumes.

TWENTY VOLUMES.

Does your copy have a full 20 volumes? Mine doesn't but it still had literally used in the formal and informal context (you'd probably die of shock when speaking French or Japanese).

P.P.S. Back on Topic now - Fate Costs for healing vs Free Ad Healing and the Ad Healing Not available for people who support the game with money.
  15. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Agree. Although I think it’s only fair that the option to heal by watching ads should also be available of you have Fate, this company is not greedy. I think the pay structure is fair. Theoretically you can play as many games as you want and level up your warband as much as you want without spending a single dime. If you want to see greedy, try the Harry Potter Hogswart Mystery. That this true greed.
    Deadhiel likes this.
  16. Cabernicola Private

Message Count:
    I don't like the option to heal injuries by watching ads. Injuries are a feature that make the band progression more interesting and make it feel harsh and realistic imo, but it is simply dumb to keep an injury instead of watching an ad, so at the end nobody is playing an armless guy or a stupid one because it is so easy to avoid. I would keep the option of saving a dead or injured guy by using fate, but I feel that the way it is working now prevent every warband to have injured warriors at all, so we're missing a very interesting point from this game.
  17. Cypher Corporal

Message Count:
    I keep things like Hardened or Horrible Scars, which means that if that package also gets a broken leg or lost eye so be it. With the exception of Stupidity and the above named injuries you will rarely know when or what injuries your opponet's have, I'd wager its higher than you might think but still relatively low.
  18. Cabernicola Private

Message Count:
    Of course I also keep hardened and horrible scars, but I don't keep any other injury at all because watchng an ad is a fairly cheap price for avoiding a negative effect. It is true that is difficult to know when a enemy warrior is injured, but Im pretty sure that most players with 0 fate will always watch and ad instead of getting a penalty.
  19. Wizard9er Corporal

Message Count:
    I agree that is should be kept fairly simple:
    * 3 Fate to heal and dead warrior
    * Watch a commercial to heal injuries

Two options, that simple...
    Auretious Taak likes this.
  20. Cabernicola Private

Message Count:
    The point is that way nobody will play an injured character, which is an interesting part of the game. IMO avoiding an injury should be only possible by spending fate.