Freelancer shield unequipped itself and now cannot equip it.

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Sylens, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Sylens Corporal

Message Count:
    I purchased a freelancer for my Witch Hunters. Played one match and had to go back to work. Upon reload, my freelancer no longer had his Imperial Skull Shield equipped, nor can I equip him with any shields from the shop. As if he is not "proficient" with shields. I have experienced similar bugs where I will buy a weapon and it does not "read" as equipped. Even becomes invisible in the model's hand. But a reload did not fix this one. I still have a Freelancer who cannot use shields.

I love this game. I hate the developers. No customer service beyond a forum that is not linked in game at all. Does "not caring about your gamer population" count as a request for refund? Of the $100+ I've spent on you guys? Amazing game. You guys are greedy pigs though. I wanted to play TT Mordheim too, but couldn't afford spending $40 on one miniature. Now you drop a great digital version and force us to pay every chance you get, which is a lot if you want to play this game and not want to throw your device in frustration. And still let bugs like this slip through that interrupt gameplay for WEEKS. And then there is no compensation for your mistakes? I want my money back. Please get a proper customer service ticket system. It's not like you are an independent group making a game with no real manpower. After my experience with this game, I will never be buying anything from Games Workshop or Legendary Games again. Lost a lifetime customer.
  2. StarMine Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    Hey Sylens,

Looks like there is an issue with that shield when used in a witch hunters warbands. Sadly the fix has missed this release cycle (tomorrow) and will be in the next release. There should be at least 3 other shields still available to your freelancer.

Support wise we have a discord, facebook, email, and the forums. We have made several changes to lower the need to spend fate, hired swords for gold for example. Sadly we need to make money to exist. We also can only fix problems after we are aware of them.

Legendary Games is an independent company of 8 people and we license the Mordheim IP from Games Workshop.

Thanks,
    Dan
  3. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I’m not an employee of Legendary. But from experience, they have been responsive to fixing issues when you notify them on this forum. They may not have a robust customer service ticket system probably because they are a small company, but they do take action to fix things unlike some large companies who take a ticket and give a bs generic we’re looking into it reply. Please give them a chance to fix.
  4. Sylens Corporal

Message Count:
    Appreciate the attempt at defending them, Shang. I had an awesome reply to Dan's message typed here, with good suggestions to the issues I have, but backed out to read your post and lost it. Bummer, cause it was a good reply with positive feedback and some thoughts on what could be done. Not retyping all that, lol. Last time I had an issue, it took them 2 months to fix it. But that was the huge "game will not load past start screen" bug.

@Dan, thought on your response, now that I retype this - I have a War priest in this same Warband who is using the Imperial Skull Shield, with no issues. And the shield that came with my freelancer is in my inventory and all my other troops can equip it. The Freelancer model is the only troop in the Warband suffering from this condition...

Thanks again. I do have a lot more feedback, but do not have the time to hunt the proper threads down, read what everyone else is saying, then post my own thoughts. So I suppose I better STFU on all that until I do have the time and just trust them to keep listening and growing.

And hire more people! I have plenty of students who could use a job! This game has grown, your team should too! 8 people is not enough to cover all this. It has the Game Workshop logo attached. I apologize for assuming that meant they had more involvement than this and you guys had more Manpower. Does make me wonder where all my money is going, though. :p
  5. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    I'm not an employee either, but some math could tell you where your money is going. If you've spent approximately 100 dollars, and that money went entirely to 1 person, and that one person worked an 8 hour shift, then, they made 12.50 per hour for one day. So your money has paid one person for one day of development. The problem with that, is that google takes 30% of their profits off the top for publishing on their service. So you only paid for one person to work one day at approximately 8 dollars an hour, which is below minimum wage.

This game has been in development for approximately 3 years, and they have an 8 person team. So for all 8 of them to be making 8 dollars an hour, approximately 50,000 people would have had to pay 100 dollars each. They only have about 50,000 downloads total according to their google play app page (which is more than they have on any other service), and most of them probably tried it for free and didn't pay for it.

On top of that they have to pay a licencing fee to Games Workshop for the IP.

So odds are the entire team is working on this as a labor of love, and several of them probably have to work a second job to support themselves. So we probably won't be seeing any more team members any time soon.

In a semi related note, I am one of their volunteer beta testers, and I was the one that first noticed that Hired Swords for the Witch Hunters couldn't re-equip some pieces of gear after removing them. However, I was only really looking at helmets because I was trying to see if I could move a visored helm onto my warrior priest, which obviously I couldn't and is part of why the restrictions exist. I did not look at the shields at the time, which is probably why they didn't get fixed. So you can blame me personally if you like. Most likely (although I can't see the code to say for sure as I am only an off site volunteer) the Freelancers are being restricted to the same set of shields that are available to the Fanatics, which are the Votive, Round, Marauder, and Buckler (which isn't really a shield).
  6. Sylens Corporal

Message Count:
    The support options you have are all social media outlets. So I disagree with your methods, but agree with the business model. Social media is free. The gold for hirelings? They cost so much gold, I'd have to play 30+ battles to afford one for gold and that's if I do not upgrade troop gear those 30 battles. Nice attempt, not really working.

And the "watch an add to heal" thing? Only works if you have 0 fate. So if I buy 10 fate, spend 4 on a hired sword, I cannot save the rest for another hired sword or better, a death. The game forces me to waste the fate I have on small injuries, then I have to buy more to get my other hireling. And I do not heal injuries that just take my troops out a few battles. Just stat decreases and deaths. Cause who wants to spend 6 months on a Warband that ends up full of gimps, or low level troops cause you are replacing dead ones. My undead warband is almost unplayable. I got it high level and then lost 4 troops to death and did not have the money to revive them. So now I have a lvl 50+ Vamp, 30+ Necro, 20+ Wizard and 12 Ogre with a lvl 4 Ghoul, and 3 level 1 Dregs. So I am fighting battles in the 3200 range with 3 1/2 troops, since the Ogre can't keep up against troops leveled that high and usually goes down in each battle. Lucky for me, Vamps are really OP and he can handle most War bands alone at his level.

Finally, the price increase in armor sucks with the recent updates. If I buy Gromril early, when I only have 3 or 4 troops, it's Much cheaper than if I have 8 troops. And since that armor runs your rating so much higher, it's not a good idea to buy it early anymore. So now, on top of trying to save gold for hirelings, I am trying to save 1200+ gold for Gromril now too. At a point where my warband earns less gold per wyrdstone, so it makes it that much more unobtainable. Since the direction you guys are taking this game is to form a full warband as early as possible, I feel we should either see those gear prices stay lower after 8 members, or increase the amount of gold we get when we have a full warband.
  7. Sylens Corporal

Message Count:
    @ trap singer my Warpriest has the imperial skull shield equipped. And the one that "unequipped" itself from my freelancer is available for anyone else in my Warband to use. Including my lvl 1 Fanatic I grabbed at the same time as my freelancer. So I am uncertain I like the answer to this problem. If it were based on restrictions to the Warband, the rest of the Warband would be restricted as well.

And yes, I am glad I have supported this team. I am not asking them to remove the pay aspect. It needs work, though. I stated a few of my thoughts in the comment above, but smaller transaction options may help. .99 for 3 fate so I can heal a dead troop, but not waste the other 7 fate I bought on smaller injuries. Or give us the option to watch an add to heal smaller injuries, even if we have fate. Give us more control over how we spend our fate.

As it stands right now, I can't get friends to play this game because of the money/fate issue. So the "word of mouth campaign" is failing and may be one of the reasons we only have 50k downloads.

Lighter note: I remember using skellies with my undead warband in tabletop. Is my memory of 14yrs ago that fuzzy, or did you change something? If it was changed, any chance we get them in an update. Lastly, how do I volunteer as a beta tester. I am a terrible customer, but a fantastic employee, even on a voluntary basis. And being a part of this games development would be an amazing experience.
  8. Sylens Corporal

Message Count:
    Again, let me repeat, anyone in my witch Hunter Warband, except my Ogre and my Freelancer can use the Imperial Skull Shield. And I see the Tower shield (forget the name), in the shop all the time for everyone as well. I have shields in my shop right now, including a buckler and the Freelancer does not have access to any of them.

Also, the shield came with the Freelancer. I played a match, shut the game down, reloaded several hours later and the shield unequipped itself. Went in to see if I had any Pit Armor available for my lvl 1 fanatic and noticed his shield was not there.

So either this is a different bug altogether, or someone jacked the coding up worse than you thought. Either way, looks like I will give him a 2 handed weapon and hope I can keep him alive until we get a fix...
  9. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    My Fanatics definitely cannot use the Imperial Skull Shield, so if yours can your warband may be more bugged than you realize. The Votive Shield, however, looks the same-ish, and I confused them for a long time. The Votive is 15 defense and -5 initiative, while the Imperial Skull is 13 defense and +5 leadership. Fanatics are meant to not have access to the Imperial Skull, because the are immune to leadership tests. Also by Fanatic I mean warriors which have chosen the special academic skill that changes your available skill lists and equipment, and not Zealot, which is a basic unskilled warrior in the Witch Hunter band. Just clarifying terminology so you can check your warband again, and make sure to report bugs that are occurring with them.

I think they still let anyone volunteer to be a beta tester, you mostly just have to express interest and be active here on the forums or in their discord channel so you can communicate with them for testing. There is a special forum here for testers which I think is hidden unless you are one where we report most of our issues with each build, and they have average 1 to 2 new builds a week for testing, and a new live update about every two weeks based on testing.

This thread is probably sufficient to ask about testing, but you can also make another post in the open discussion forum to ask.

Another thing related to your concerns about on going cost. The build that will go live tomorrow changes how death and fate acquisition work. From tomorrow on your warriors which die will not be removed from your warband "Camp" screen, they will stay there unusable as a ghost, and can be resurrected with fate or dismissed at any time in the future, giving you a chance to save up the fate to bring them back. Also a new feature will allow you to donate 100 gold to the "Temple" for a 10% to get 1 fate without paying real money, and a 90% chance to recieve one of six "Blessings" for your next match, which will increase one stat +5 on all of your warriors for one game. That's what we've been testing since last week.
  10. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    Ogre's can't use shields in any warband, that's a feature of Ogres.

Also, terminology, need to be extra careful as a tester to make sure things are communicated properly. It's impossible to have a level 1 Fanatic, because you have to be at least level 2 to get the Fanatic skill. If you have a level 1 warrior in a Witch Hunter warband, it's a Zealot.

The alternate advancement option to Fanatic, for a Zealot, is Templar, and has a BS and WS requirement before you can get it, and it unlocks witchhound use and hatred of magic users. Fanatic on the other hand changes their skill lists to combat/strength/speed (removing use of shooting) and prevents the use of armor, upgrades their base strength by +5, and makes them immune to all leadership tests.

So if you meant to say that your "Zealots" have access to the Imperial Skull, that is correct they should as they can still take leadership tests and wear armor. But you said "Fanatic" if your fanatics have access to the imperial skull shield that is a bug and should be reported also. I suspect that your Freelancer has access to the same shields as the Fanatic, not the Zealot, as they have different equipment and skill lists, and in many ways a Freelancer is closer to a Fanatic as they both lack shooting skills.
  11. Sylens Corporal

Message Count:
    You are correct. Looks as though my Freelancer is being treated as a fanatic. I apologize for the confusion there. And I do realize Ogre's cannot equip shields. Threw that in there to be specific and was still getting it wrong calling Zealots fanatics.

Thank you for the preview of the update on fate. While I complain, I do recognize they have been trying. And always get excited about updates. I was REALLY looking forward to working on this Warband last night after a really tough night at work and I let the missing shield rile me up much worse than normal. Trap, you're awesome, man. Took my frustrations and turned them into a discussion. Well played.
  12. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    Welcome to the Mordheim forums! Not a lot of people use them, but we pretty universally like to get to a point where we are all on the same page, so that we can be sure that changes made to game are good ones. All feedback is good feedback if it comes from a place of being passionate about the game, and helps us to make it better for everyone!

And, also: "It's hard to not be awesome, when you're me!" Feel free to quote me.
  13. Sylens Corporal

Message Count:
    Passion is a good word for it, and one I use a lot. I am passionate about the things I enjoy. That passion makes me look like a jerk at times, though.

So far as "not many people post" still say there needs to be links to this forum and discord at least IN GAME. I had to Google to find this. Why I was so upset about the lack of a customer support system. Most people would not go looking for the like I did. You will see an increase in forum participation if you make it more readily available in the game itself. In an IT world, it's what most users expect. And when it isn't there, they don't care enough to go look.
  14. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    There is a direct link to here in the app description on google play, along with all the other developer contact information.

But you're right, there is probably room for it in the Options part of the Menu next to the Credits button.
  15. Sylens Corporal

Message Count:
    Yup. Question, trap. Since we already derailed this thread. End game Skaven. I am worried. I have full Warband. Leader and Sorc both over 30, the rest range from 15 to 7. Everyone has the best gear I can get for their build. No Rat Ogre, bleh, worse troop ever. Around 550 Warband rating. No way to ever get better gear, though. So what happens when a 3200 rated Skaven band approaches a 3200 rated Rieklander band with higharmor and WS? I know my Vamp can walk through and entire Skaven band alone. But I think he is worth 2k of my Undead's 3200 rating alone. 50+ lvl, full Gromril and visited. Gromril sword, elven bow. Worried that if I do get my Skaven band to 3200 that I will run into Vamps that I can't kill.
  16. Trapsinger Major

Message Count:
    There are a lot of answers to that questions, but a lot of the answer revolves around the problem that the armor system is a little bit flawed. There is a big discussion about it and other balance issues if you want to see what the rest of think here:

https://forums.legendary-games.com/index.php?threads/suggestion-balance-pass.6632/

But basically to kill a vamp, or any heavily armored target you want to load up on ways to bypass their defense. The skaven have a few good ways to do that, the big ones are blunt weapons which cap defense, or warplock pistols that bypass the weapon skill check to hit, and reduce armor by 50.

Also stack up on things that give you free attacks outside the turn order, like Infiltrate, Ambush, Quick Reactions, and Lightning Reflexes. Doesn't hurt to get Perfect Assassin too, for the extra -15 to armor on all attacks, and Fearsome so you don't have to do a leadership test every time you attack, which as a skaven you would fail.

That said, I don't play Skavan, so someone else may be able to give you better tips.
  17. Sylens Corporal

Message Count:
    Yup, 2 Rats using Spiked mace's and warplocks. 1 using Dual warps. And a pied Piper ( forget the class name) with a jagged spear and warp. So that's 4 anti armor units. They're squishy, though. Good Vamp can kill 2 14 wound Rats in one round, easy. Just have to make sure I get first strike in on any Vamps I meet and just kill it before it attacks again. Will check the balance thread out tonight. I don't have time for this, but I am a builder and strategist. So this is proving to be fun. I may have been one of the players that got the Ambush skill nerfed. One of my 1st Warbands had 6 marksmen, all with Hochland lensed rifles, and each with Ambush. I'd find a line of sight and just hide with them all. Nothing got close taking 6 shots every time it moved.

Hoping they don't nerf my Vamp next. I am taking his armor off for spell casting once I can get my 2 dreg tanks leveled better. So he won't be as unbeatable. He has a 90 defense, I think. Which is just nuts...
  18. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    My Skaven is at 4,000 rating and have no problems fighting vampires or gromil armored mercs. The key is to work towards the alpha strike which with infiltration you have an advantage and making sure you are able to time your attack where the Curse spell is on the target. I also equip each skaven with holy water. So after 2 of my skaven attack that vampire is always dead. The Curse spell along with multiple warlock pistol shots will take him down especially if you throw water with each skaven (not necessary but always satisfying to give your opponent a dead vampire due to water :)
  19. Sylens Corporal

Message Count:

Yup. That's the way I've planned it. They are only at just over 500, but I am happy with all 8 members and they all have the gear they will have for the rest of the game. All I have to do now is catch the 6 lower lvl rats I have up to the 2 level 30s I have...