Ghoul Kings!

Prabdeep Bazaz

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Ghoul-Kings.png

Our second premium warband has been added to Mordheim!

Once proud and mighty Vampires of the Strigoi bloodline, these demonic creatures have spent their days creeping through crypts, attended only by ghouls or nomadic descendants of the refuges from Strigos awaiting the time of vengeance

The Ghoul Kings are a savage breed of vampires. Having been forced to feed on corpses, they have devolved into great hulking monsters but remain savage warriors and masters of the dead.

Download the update on Browser, Android and Apple.

- Socials -
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Discord Server

Found a bug? Report it here - https://forms.gle/MXi6SAt1jfxuq9rQ6

Last edited:

Shangular

Brigadier
Love the look of the Strigoi and also love they you've made the starting stats random again.

They're fun at low levels. A bit concerned at high levels though as opponents will be wearing gromil and have max defense skills as this guy can only limit opponents defense to 50, but we'll see.

Shangular

Brigadier
Are there any warbands without random starting stats?
Yeah like all of them except strigoi. All other warbands don’t have random starting stats. Create any other warband and you’ll see the leader always has the same stat

Mork

Major
Ah, the Leader - didn't notice that because all other chaps have random starts.
Had there been Leaders in the past with random starts because you wrote "again" ?

Shangular

Brigadier
Ah, the Leader - didn't notice that because all other chaps have random starts.
Had there been Leaders in the past with random starts because you wrote "again" ?
Yes, the stats for the starting leaders used to be random. This was changed to an average (for example 30) because many players would spam create warbands in an effort to find a captain with really good stats. During this time, players were unable to delete warbands so Legendary's server was filled with tons of unused Reikland Mercenaries lol

Now since we can delete, it could make sense to revert to the randomness again.

Shangular

Brigadier
First impression after playing a Strigoi solo. Mine's only at 229 rating but so far lots of fun. At this rating level, having 3 attacks is great and 7 movement. Although need to be careful for the horde assist counters and he has failed a couple of rout tests. But had a couple of questions as really the Strigoi is like the Undead warband with the exception of a different vampire. The strigany are basically dregs (same skills just different skin). So looking at the Strigoi vampire itself vs the Von Carstein vampire:

1) Strigoi only has 6 WS upgrades vs 8, which can make sense as they rely more on power vs finesse. After reading the WH codex, I change my position here. They should have the same WS upgrades as the Von Carstein who is supposed to be the baseline vampire. Blood Dragons are the ones who have higher WS, but Von Carstein and Strigoi should be equal.
2) Strigoi have max 12 (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) vs 10 W which offsets perhaps #1 above. They also have a basic starting attack of 3 vs 2 which offsets #1 above too.
3) Strigoi can't equip weapons or armor but have a unique Frenzy skill (still debating if it's worth it), is the extra attack worth losing the ability to strategically position?
Here are my 2 questions:
4) Strength, Strigoi only get 3 upgrades vs 6 for Von Carstein. Was this intentional or an oversight? A strigoi is a vampire and I would expect them to have the same max strength as a Von Carstien
5) Resilient, Strigoi only get 2 upgrades vs 3 for Von Carstein. Lorewise, I would think the Strigoi would be tougher. Actually they need this skill upgrade more because they can't equip armor.

Last edited:

Jesse Shaffer

Brigadier
My old Von Carstein vamp only has 6 strength upgrades while the Strigori I just settled on is stuck with 3 like some common ghoul. In fact, that’s the larger problem with them: they’re too close to common ghouls.

Compared to normal humans, humans turned ghoul are twice as resilient while humans turned vampire are 3 times more resilient. If that relationship holds, then a vampire ghoul would be 6 times more resilient because vampirism would make it 3 times more resilient than an normal ghoul.

Vampirisim is supposed to effect strength more than this too. Strigoi are supposed to be at least as physically strong as normal vampires but these are just ghouls +10. That is pretty damn lame.

I haven’t tried the frenzy skill yet. If it’s the old frenzy that was originally in the game, then it might be worth it. If it’s the nerfed one we sometimes get as an injury, then it absolutely isn’t worth it. Perhaps if combat master was added but I doubt that would be enough to change most people’s minds.

Shangular

Brigadier
My old Von Carstein vamp only has 6 strength upgrades while the Strigori I just settled on is stuck with 3 like some common ghoul. In fact, that’s the larger problem with them: they’re too close to common ghouls.

Compared to normal humans, humans turned ghoul are twice as resilient while humans turned vampire are 3 times more resilient. If that relationship holds, then a vampire ghoul would be 6 times more resilient because vampirism would make it 3 times more resilient than an normal ghoul.

Vampirisim is supposed to effect strength more than this too. Strigoi are supposed to be at least as physically strong as normal vampires but these are just ghouls +10. That is pretty damn lame.

I haven’t tried the frenzy skill yet. If it’s the old frenzy that was originally in the game, then it might be worth it. If it’s the nerfed one we sometimes get as an injury, then it absolutely isn’t worth it. Perhaps if combat master was added but I doubt that would be enough to change most people’s minds.
Yes, 3 vs 6 strength upgrades. I made the correction in my post above, but agree, they should be at least as strong and tough as a von carstein. Reading WH lore, that would make sense.

Concerning the Frenzy skill, it's just like the one the Crypt Horror and the same effect like when you get the Frenzy injury. Also it may seem good on the surface, once your frenzied warriors runs out in the open to charge a giant rat you'lll think otherwise. I get it fits in with the Strigoi lore, but so far, I've avoided the skill. What was the frenzy skill in the original form?

Jesse Shaffer

Brigadier
If I recall correctly, the original version of frenzy implemented in the game doubled our attacks. A Ioss of control in exchange for a 10 attack atom bomb is pretty fun—and a nightmare to behold.

I made a new warband just to try a frenzied Strigoi and it sucks. The original frenzy was a super power. The Nerfed version we have now really is an honest to God injury.

How lame is this build of the Strigoi? Its only unique skill is an injury. An injury!

If they don’t fix this, I want my money back.

Last edited:

Shangular

Brigadier
Double attacks would have been awesome!. Like the other premier warband (dwarves) I don't think this was intended to be for the power gamer. It's great for rpg/lore feel though. But I agree, something is missing that doesn't give him quite the "beast" feel like he's supposed to have.

I've played many games with them and so far, again at the <300 rating level lots of fun. But as I'm facing opponents of higher rating, he has a hard time doing much against heavily armored warriors, especially since there is no defense modifier. Since you can't equip weapons on this guy, I really think the needs a second and third level of Rending Claws. Perhaps each additional level reduces the max defense by 15?

Agree, that he probably should have Combat Master as well.

Other thoughts may be a second level of Frenzy that adds an additional attack? to at least make players consider giving him this skill. Or perhaps that one skill the troll slayer has that doubles his attacks when he charges. This guy, with a 7 movement will actually be able to utilize that skill unlike the slayer.

Jesse Shaffer

Brigadier
Rending Claws really ought to be a tiered skill but I’ve given up hope.

The original Frenzy would fit perfectly with the lore but this Nerfed version has got to go. Berserker is a great idea. It or something similar would be a fantastic replacement.

I think they should be able to eat corpses to regain health. Who needs armor when you can just eat people? To prevent it from being over powered, all they’d need to do is give it a long enough list of requirements to unlock it. That way, the only players that use it will be those who have leveled high enough to genuinely need it.

Jesse Shaffer

Brigadier
Is resurrection bugged? My normal Strigoi warband can only resurrect one enemy model per game so long as there are no other zombies while my normal undead can’t resurrect any enemy at all.

38D86A7F-2FE4-4246-BA12-A5D016A98DC5.jpeg