Ghoul Kings!

Shangular

Brigadier
Also, I know there's a plan to adjust the Strigoi in the next update. But please also take a closer look at the Strigany. Upon further testing, it seems that they can't equip a long bow either? So their equipment limitations need review.

In addition, I've tried many times, and even gave my warrior the Streetwise skill. Can't see any armor better than a skull cuirass in the store. Was this also intentional? or do I just have bad luck?

Ewan Lamont

Administrator
Staff member
Good point. I thought they were exactly the same as Dregs but apparently not. I've seen armor as high as a skull cuirass (30 Defense), but they are unable to equip it. Don't know why they would be prohibited from doing so. I see that weapons options are the same at least.
Its an IP/background restriction we have added. Due to the Strigany back story we have kept them to the "light Infantry" bracket. It also helps differentiate between the other undead warband. Slow, relentless, meat tank vs quick, nimble, savage.

Shangular

Brigadier
Its an IP/background restriction we have added. Due to the Strigany back story we have kept them to the "light Infantry" bracket. It also helps differentiate between the other undead warband. Slow, relentless, meat tank vs quick, nimble, savage.
Got it. So with that however, would it make sense to give them access to the Speed Skill tree instead of the current Strength skill tree?

Jesse Shaffer

Brigadier
...helps differentiate between the other undead warband. Slow, relentless, meat tank vs quick, nimble, savage.
That is a great concept. It’s a shame that it’s contradicted by the slowness of the Strigany. After all, they really can’t be quick or nimble without speed skills. One would think that their INT would have a higher minimum starting value than a Dreg’s too.

Please keep their strength skills intact though. Given the current pool of friendly hired swords, the present reduction in available gear is enough to warrant speed skills. Reducing their damage and survivability further would make them of questionable value. Unless, of course, there are unannounced plans to add the Charnel Guard at a later date. If that’s the case, then forget everything I said. :D

Last edited:

Shangular

Brigadier
That is a great concept. It’s a shame that it’s contradicted by the slowness of the Strigany. After all, they really can’t be quick or nimble without speed skills. One would think that their INT would have a higher minimum starting value than a Dreg’s too.

Please keep their strength skills intact though. Given the current pool of friendly hired swords, the present reduction in available gear is enough to warrant speed skills. Reducing their damage and survivability further would make them of questionable value. Unless, of course, there are unannounced plans to add the Charnel Guard at a later date. If that’s the case, then forget everything I said. :D
Good point. Currently the Dregs are slow, relentless, meat tanks. The Strigany are just slow lol.

However, here's another idea to consider to make them "quick, nimble, savage". In addition to the Speed skill tree, give them access to the Frenzy skill. That would be in line with the spirit of the intended "savage".

Jesse Shaffer

Brigadier
Good point. Currently the Dregs are slow, relentless, meat tanks. The Strigany are just slow lol.

However, here's another idea to consider to make them "quick, nimble, savage". In addition to the Speed skill tree, give them access to the Frenzy skill. That would be in line with the spirit of the intended "savage".
I've mostly been playing the Strigoi warband shown below and it has given me some insight into what that might feel like. One frenzied idiot prematurely charging off to his death—match after match—is really damn annoying. But a pack of 5, loaded with speed skills, with roughly equal initiative, clustered together, and hidden, feels like an avalanche of green death when triggered. Eight would have been ridiculously fun...while it lasted.

IMG_8048.jpeg

I say that because, at 2575, this warband isn't fun to play anymore. In fact, I genuinely hate it. I'm sick of loosing to scenarios that would be totally winnable if I had control. The paltry +1 attack does not make up for the profound loss of player agency that results from frenzy. The consequences of which get increasingly worse as the warband levels because they have such meager defense.

For example, because they always charge the closest target and keep piling on it until it's dead, they almost never get to use melee combat as a protection from ranged fire. Instead, they spend a huge percentage of their time between turns standing around in the open in groups of 2-4 getting utterly torn to hell by black powder weapons.

They either need to be more durable or more deadly. If each member with Frenzy/Blood Lust had +2 attacks instead of +1, I suspect that feeling of the wild malestrom of the gore driven hoard might return and this warband would be fun again. Unchanged, however, it's honestly not worth playing.

EDIT
I just want to add that, hands-down, Strigoi feel their best when Frenzy is the soul of the warband. One version of the rules for Strigoi has a skill called Pheromones which makes, if I remember correctly, the whole warband frenzied. When my warband was fun, the only thing that brought the experience down was the three ghouls who did as they were told. Legendary is on to something great but it still needs some work. I really hope they see it through.

Last edited: