Golden pass, PvP leaderboard and rewards

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Cyberaddict, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Kind of a follow up from the other thread... The rating system needs to be fixed to develop a robust PvP community, but I also think some other improvements can be done to get a better experience out of Mordheim Warband Skirmish. Some of these suggestions have been done elsewhere, but I'm putting them all together here...

GOLDEN PASS : Costs 10 Fate, grants Blessing of Morr and Verena for ONE week (+7 days if already active), and allow the player to create and play a new Warband in the GOLDEN LADDER for the current 21-days season (which will give rewards to top rankers, to potentially reduce the net cost of participation, see GOLDEN LEADERBOARD, below).

Each player may also use a special voucher ONCE to enter the GOLDEN LADDER with a new team for free (for the whole duration of the current season, with maybe a warning if the season is about to be over soon so that the voucher is instead saved for next season). This voucher, however, won't grant the benefit of the Blessings of Morr and Verena. This special offer is necessary for players to at least try the concept once.

GOLDEN LADDER : Only players who have purchased the GOLDEN PASS (or free voucher) can enter this PvP ladder, and only with a newly created team (easily identified with their 0/0 shards). Each player can only have one registered team at a time (to avoid farming with two devices). A player can decommission a team and register a new one at any time, however. ALL MAPS are UNLOCKED in that PvP mode, and all missions are Occupy scenario, because :
    • Warbands are forced to move into confrontation zone.
    • Games are certain to be concluded in 8 turns or less (with a few exceptions).
    • Warbands are encouraged to grow and expand to win this scenario.
    • All Factions can potentially win this scenario, even slow Dwarves.
    Also, in GOLDEN LADDER, death results are rerolled, each team benefit from lesser chance of injuries (as Underdog bonus), but injuries are permanent. Heavily injured units will have to be dismissed eventually, and this creates an interesting complexity (and diminishes a bit the problem of P2W). Idealy, no more than one of each kind of Hired Swords can be recruited in this ladder.

GOLDEN LEADERBOARD : This leaderboard should reset every THREE weeks (a "season"), and track not the rating or shards of Warbands, but the win rate of registered Warbands. Top Warbands will receive rewards (Fate points) based on their ranking. Example :
    • Top 5 : 10 Fate.
    • Top 6-10 : 7 Fate.
    • Top 11-20 : 5 Fate.
    • Top 21-50 : 3 Fate.
    • Top 51-100 : 1 Fate.
    I'm tempted to predict Skaven Pistoliers would dominate in this format, but then it takes some time to develop this archetype, and because the format is PvP only and Occupy scenario, I think the metagame will be refreshingly different that what we currently have in the ladder.
    How do you like these ideas?
  2. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Speaking of rewards... Why don't we have achievements to unlock and rewards for doing so? Some of those achievements could be geared at PvP (ex. : win 3 games with Reiklanders in PvP, etc.), to create traffic there. It's important to have interesting rewards at the end of each achievements seasons, like some Fate points, or new skins for our units, etc. The less waiting time there is, the more people will participate in PvP. It's just otherwise quite depressing to wait and wait and only get crappy matchups (with opponents having too high or too low rating). Playing vs AI is only fun for a little while, and I'm very convinced the best way to have a strong and dedicated player base is to have a larger PvP community (competition at that level will make players spend more Fate to buy Hired Swords, while against AI one could just wait to have enough gold).

And if some of these achievements are aimed at higher level warbands (ex. : reach rating 3000 with any Warband that contains +6 units), then this would develop more teams at that level, and satisfy the veterans. Hey, one achievement could even be "win a PvP with a Warband rated 5000+"!

I think achievements could be a great way to educate and move the herd in the right direction.

Educative achievement : "Use turn skipping in PvP"?
  3. Algirdas25 Major

Message Count:
    what about pp like me who want to play warbands like 4 halflings and other stupid builds?
  4. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    It was just a suggestion. I don't even know if the Developpers like the idea or not. It will be up to them, I guess. But, my opinion : for a Golden Ladder, exclusively PvP and with Fate rewards at the end of each 3-weeks season, I doubt very much you would want to do stupid builds like that anyway. Why would you ever want to dismiss the leveled up units that have survived so far to replace them with questionnable underwhelming units? Considering you could only register one Warband at a time in the Golden Ladder per season, every player will most probably be very focused having a high win rate. Also, because the Warbands will be decommissioned at the end of each season, you should not want to invest that many Fate points in it, particularly if you want a nice return on investment. Finally, to reduce P2W, it seems healthy to reduce multiple Hired Swords of same type.