How do I order my units to use ranged weapons ?

Hi, sorry for noob questions, but how do I order my ranged units to use ranged weapons ? Whenever I ordered my archers to attack the enemy and such, (tap the enemy when it's the archer's turn) they'd just walk up to the enemy and stab them.

Maybe it's told in the tooltips somewhere but I couldn't read fast enough before those dialogue box closes itself.

Shangular

Brigadier
Make sure you're selecting the right icon. If you press the Fist icon, it it will attack in close combat. If you select the bulls-eye icon it will shoot.

Skrit9

Private
Yeah, don't click on the target, just click on the bulls-eye and then use the little red skulls to choose a target

Thank you guys. Before today, my archer (Reikland Marksman) doesn't have the bulls-eye icon for some reason, but I gave him a pistol instead and he have it now.

CzaRus

Major
Thank you guys. Before today, my archer (Reikland Marksman) doesn't have the bulls-eye icon for some reason, but I gave him a pistol instead and he have it now.
Bullseye icon might not show up because of 3 reasons:
1) he does not have the range
2) there are no targets in his line of sight (he can not shoot through 2 buildings f.e.)
3) if the enemy target is engaged in melee combat, he can not target them (doesnt apply for pistols)
Also, in a range focused army, keep your combatants out of melee as long as possible - otherwise you can not shoot (doesnt apply to pistols)