How Does Frenzy Work?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jesse Shaffer, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    I’ve been playing the game for about a week now and none of my warband members have ever been frenzied. I have one Reiklander warband rated 1080 and a Skaven warband rated under 400. Is frenzy only somthing the AI can have? If player controlled characters can acquire frenzy, how do they do it?
  2. DTay88 Corporal

Message Count:
    Two ways to get frenzy.

1 have a warrior taken out of battle and then get it as an injury result (this is totally randomized)

2 buy mad cap mushrooms, equip them to a character and use them in a match (only lasts one match)
    Jesse Shaffer likes this.
  3. arielbelkin Major

Message Count:
    Frenzy doubles your attacks at the expense of control over your unit. If a frenzied unit is within charge range it will charge and it will always be the closest unit in range (you cannot control this). If a frenzied unit has already been engaged in combat, you will regain control of it and still benefit from receiving double the attacks wherever you choose to go.

The cross axe icon indicates a unit is frenzied. Be very careful as most times frenzied unit’s can cause a lot of damage.

Like stated above the only two ways to get frenzy is by using the Mad Cap Mushroom or being “injured” in action.
    Jesse Shaffer likes this.
  4. Jawajambalya Private

Message Count:
    Dont like the new frenzy why change it? The double the attack was perfect now it's pointless i think there should be positive and negative conditions now all frenzy does is make you lose control of a characterwithout any real positive effects come on LG throw us a friggin bone here
  5. nahar Private

Message Count:
    You have to buy Mad Cap Mushrooms. Or you can get frenzy if warrior get injure during battle.
  6. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    The double attacks worked fine at low levels but became crazy with high level multiple attack characters especially in pvp if you didn't have one or two unhinged loons there was no way of winning. Taking mushrooms is a free action now.
  7. _Q_ Major

Message Count:

Games Workshop changed how frenzy worked for exactly the same balance reasons. Mordheim predated that change but not, if memory serves, by much.
    Ewan Lamont likes this.
  8. Blackstaff Private

Message Count:
    I think it's a poor change. Frenzy became less deadly when item use became a free action (I.e. healing herbs), but to reduce attacks with no other balancing factor seriously changes game play. At no level, low or high, did it make the game impossible. Dealing with frenzied enemies was a matter of strategy and positioning.

My opinion is that the danger factor in the game (in this case with frenzy), was reduced, and danger, risk, is for me the spice of Mordheim. The frenzy rule of this app's game mirrored that of the tabletop version I still play, and needed no adjustment, I feel. I acknowledge that my warbands have taken fewer injuries, etc, but I'm not looking for an injury-free experience; I'm looking for a challenge. Challenging games are more fun and more rewarding, to me.

All that said, I still like the game, the fundamentals of the Mordheim I know are still essentially in place, but I do have a game-balancing suggestion: reduce the cost of Mad Cap Mushrooms, which are now significantly devalued.

Just a couple cents to throw in on the topic, and I do appreciate the designer's hard work in general!

~Team Dresden~
    ~Black Wolves of Friokbern~
    Ewan Lamont likes this.