How does the defence AI work?

Discussion in 'Bugs and Suggestions' started by Daniel.e28, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Daniel.e28 Private

Message Count:
    I don't think the AI for units owned by other plays are particularly working well. I used artillery to take down 2 tank, as set of infantry and a rocket and they didn't move once. This was against units owned by another player who I expect was offline at the time. My point is the AI clearly aren't that good (or perhaps not working) if they make no attempt to move to avoid damage.

The only time one tank moved was when I deliberately sent some infantry in close to see what would happen, the tank then moved by only enough to be in reach to attack and kill the infantry, after that it went back to never moving when I attacked with artillery.

Something really needs to be done about this as what is the point in places defenses if they are only going to do nothing while were away. Or am I just not using them correctly?
    Gareth and I_Like_Cake like this.
  2. I_Like_Cake Corporal

Message Count:
    Agreed. With or with out defenses other players crush territory's in less than half an hour and i don't check my email often enough to know if I'm being attacked and even if i did i'm often not in a position to respond. I realize that the A.I. cant be to challenging or players would take advantage of this and let the A.I. do all the work but for the reasons stated above it needs to be more effective.

It would be nice if the devs could tell us how the A.I. is supposed to work because it would make a nice addition to the wiki game mechanics page I'm currently writing.
  3. Daniel.e28 Private

Message Count:
    Yea I have basic given up leaving anything on a map, and just hope that people will be too scared to reclaim anything, as I will retake it when I can.

Yea know how it works would be good on the wiki, it would also be interesting to know how damage is determined.
  4. Gareth Corporal

Message Count:
    I have never been a lover of the A.I. system in the game. The only way I have seen it work is if you invest resources and heavily fortify an area, but most of the time I just leave my areas empty and try to recapture areas as soon as possible!
  5. Gavin Rummery
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Thanks for the feedback, we'll have to work on improving this!

The way it works presently is that player units don't tend to move about much. This is deliberate to stop all your units running off from defensive positions as the first sign of enemy forces. So the idea is you can hide them in forests etc to ambush the enemy.

But clearly we need to adjust the balance so they don't just sit around taking damage without fighting back or retreating to safety.
    Gareth likes this.