How often should we expect death to come knocking?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by xLethoLx, Jun 10, 2017.

1. xLethoLx Private

Message Count:
    I loved the tabletop version, although I haven't played that for a very long time and never got to involved because of lack of players/groups in my area.

This game looked to be great but I am struggling to have fun with it. I have started 3 warbands in the last few days since starting and everyone has suffered major loses at very early stages. All 3 have seen death come knocking multiple times. The last one just now saw my 3 member warband almost lose the match and get dealt a death after successfully flanking and ambushing a 4 member band. I took one out really quick and was able to drawn in another before the last 2 joined the main fight. With a 3v2 and their success/progress bar way below the mid line/sword indicator, they took my main tank out of action (warrior class, armor, shield, 4 wounds left of 5). I was able to put the hurt on one of theirs with a two-handed weapon and take him out. Then their lone survive with maybe 2-3 wounds left decides he can't give up and will kill us all. The progress bar now is all but gone on their side, maybe a pixel or 2 wide left. I stun him my leader but while stunned I miss with my archer in close combat who had landed a 1 point crit last turn with his dagger. He recovers and vows to kill us again. My leader hits and stuns again. The archer once again can't finish him. He now decides to make a run for it while stunned.

The rap up shows me that my tank is dead after taking out 2 of theirs. All the gear lost, progress lost...what a waste. My other characters don't get much XP as they couldn't finish off the last guy and I only get 1 shard.

This long post all to say, after that game I delete the 2 warbands and uninstalled the game. Not sure if this is still in beta but sure feels like it. They will take my money if I don't want to lose my progress and can shell out a few micro transactions here and there. It a bummer to because this game seemed to have some promise. It’s under documented, somewhat confusing at times and seems to be weighted in the AI’s favor so they can collect a few bucks from you every few games as you get attached to the warband and characters you have created.
  2. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Install the app again, start a warband, and kick your leader before your first game. Don't even buy him any kit.

You'll find it a lot easier.
    morjax likes this.
  3. xLethoLx Private

Message Count:
    Kick the leader before you start? How does this help me?

I started 3 warbands and can barely get char to lvl 10 before they start dying in droves. And if they don't die the get robbed or suffer a major injury and can't see or fight or walk.

I know they said the took the rules straight from GW but I read through a few posts on the bugs forum and it seems the AI get to do thing you can't and are stacked against you. Archers raining arrows in on you that never show up on the map, the AI picking who every they want to shot at even if they are in the very back. What's the point in using game strategy if the AI can break the rules.
  4. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Because the leaders start at level 12 and have a bunch of pointless skills. Also they are far higher level then the rest of your men. It's better to kick the leader right away, then buy a 3rd person (it'll save 25 gold) and you'll have a negative warband rating. This means you'll have a lot easier opponents to fight against, and therefore less likely to lose people.

The AI don't get to break the rules, apart from what seams to be a few bugs. They can only shot their set distance, and they can't just pick people off. There are skills to let you shoot while hidden, and to ignore cover when shooting. It takes a long time to earn all of the skills though.

Every warband you fight against has been put together by other players, none are premade. This does mean sometimes the games might be quite hard, and other times very easy.

My first 5 warbands all died a VERY horrible death. My 4th ended up with 2 guys dieing and 2 seriously injured in the same match, and I only had 4 people at the time!

I'm on my 6th warband now and I'm doing amazingly well. All my guys are well kitted out, and have stacks of skills. My first 3 guys can all hit for 12 damage somehow, 3 attacks, 15 wounds, and 50+ armour. But it's taken quite a while, and a lot of failures, to be able to get there.

The biggest difference between my first 5 warbands and my 6th, I got rid of the leader right away to make sure I started with easier opponents for me to use to level against!
  5. xLethoLx Private

Message Count:
    Ah, that makes sense. I will give it a try. Thanks for the responses. I do love this genre and Warhammer fantasy.
    morjax likes this.
  6. xLethoLx Private

Message Count:
    etherkye, I took your advice and kicked my leader. My warband did a lot better. Thanks for your advice. I have a few questions though. My new leader was doing very well unlit my last match, last night were he was killed. In that match there was an archer on the other team that was raining down death on my guys. He only showed up on the map at the very end when I my guys advanced towards him. Other than that he was hidden but landing shots on my guys the whole match. How can he stay hidden? I don’t even know where to put my guys to take cover from him. The other question is how can the AI choose their range targets? This match was a scenario where I catch the other team off guard while they are searching for shards. My team spawned right next to one of their archers with just a fence between us. He started firing on one of my archers who took a bunch of damage on the first turn. I moved one of my warriors between my archer and theirs but their archer just kept firing on my archer until he was taken out. How is this possible?
  7. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    I think there's a skill to let you stay hidden while shooting if you're in cover. Also you can only see people within a certain range of you, again this can be increased with a skill.

He shouldn't be able to fire past someone unless he can't hit them for some reason though. You'd have to ask the admin for that one!
  8. xLethoLx Private

Message Count:
    Thanks for all the replies etherkye. Very much appreciated.

Yeah, he shot right through my warrior. I thought I was being tactical but it didn’t work.

I looked for a skill that would let you shot and stay hidden and I can’t find it. I think there is one for throwing knives.
  9. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    I don't have access to any ranged skills, so I have no idea
  10. xLethoLx Private

Message Count:
    Okay, as far as I can tell I don't see any skill that lets an archer/x-bow/gun power unit to stay hidden while firing.

I am just wondering if it just my luck or are people spending money on this game every few sessions to keep their good guys alive/un-wounded. 4 warbands for me and I have had at least 6 or 7 deaths and at least that many major injuries.
  11. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    I'm sure some people pay. But I try not to let them go out of action in the first place ;)
  12. xLethoLx Private

Message Count:
    I guess that's the key. I must be an out of action magnet.
  13. Mahbruck Private

Message Count:
    When you get to Ini 40, you can unlock a skill "Hide in the shadow" which doubles the distance they can spot you 'if' you are in cover. It is super useful for sniper. To counter it, there is an 'Awareness' skill which doubles the spotting range. One of the toughest (and fastest) guys must have it for any respectable pew-pew party. Also if your archer getting shot despite being blocked by your warriror is simply because, in that certain angle, the enemy sniper had a direct line to the former, not the latter. Standing in front of someone doesn't mean blocking at all in this game as there may be some object right between your warrior and the sniper. Or in some case, the warrior is in front but he's in cover as well, thus hidden to the sniper whereas your own marksman is not.

If you want to go to the top fast, spending is prerequisite (like all app games). But if you are one of the better players, you can save a lot of money by not sending your lackeys to die fruitlessly (unless in some ambush instances where getting killed and robbed is impossible to avoid, especially by getting 16 shots in the face even before any reaction at all!)