How's everyone finding the Ogres?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Prabdeep Bazaz, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    How is everyone finding playing with or against the new ogres? Here is a bit more information about the game design thinking -

Ogres have been present in the Empire as mercenaries since the very first edition of Warhammer but since Mordheim was released the Ogre background has evolved a bit, so we needed to reflect that in our game. The key facets have remained the same: Ogres are large, brutish creatures, standing some ten feet tall, much of it bone and muscle and they are much in demand as bodyguards and mercenaries, despite their lack of brains. They are extremely dangerous fighters and a terrifying sight to behold and they happily accept any employer, as they are notoriously unbothered about who they fight for.

Since the Ogre Kingdoms book has come out we learned that these “Empire Ogres” are known as Maneaters by their kin. Maneaters are Ogres that have left the hills to fight in campaigns in far-off lands. They spend decades accruing scars, tall tales, wealth, exotic war gear and skills before heading back to the Ogre Kingdoms. Maneaters have fought throughout the Old World and beyond and many races attempt to recruit such fighters into their armies, promising food, gold or whatever else the Ogres want in return for their services. It is the pay that matters, not the foe.

We have reflected this new story in our design. The Ogre you hire in the Tavern represents a “young lad” fresh from the hills looking to become a fearsome travelling mercenary. All he has in addition to his natural wits and charm is a wooden belly plate draped in the skin of a recently slain donkey sacrificed to the great Maw for good luck. Apparently, there is an Ogre folk tale to do with an Ogre travelling with a donkey.

Ogres in Human realms will quickly try to adopt the dress and mannerisms of their employers. They don’t always get it right but at least it affords some protection. The light armour variant is totally based on the Ogre bodyguard character released for the tabletop game in 1999, minus the backpack but including the now ubiquitous gut plate, which has been upgraded to an imperial shield with the great maw symbol painted on it. The heavy armour variant sees our maneater fully adopt the native dress of the empire along with looted shields and chunks of armour from fallen foes cobbled together for protection.
    Double Misfire and Cypher like this.
  2. Cypher Corporal

Message Count:
    Ogre on Ogre is grand. (Fortunately) I haven't encountered any of the blighters without my own maneater to run defence. As much a I love seeing a pack of Ogres skirmish I do wonder why you opted to allow more than 0-1 per warband as they were originally limited to one per warband (as Warlock and most Hired Swords). Also in the table top Ogres were one of the few units that could reach 5 attacks, any reason they seem capped at four? I really do love them though so good on you lot for the work!

In the tavern with a leg of mutton and a keg of Bugman's I'd imagine.
  3. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Loving the ogres. Haven't had a chance to add it to my main warband because I don't want to dismiss anyone (still holding out for the benching option), but I do have 3 of them in my Undead warband and 4 of them in my new Mercs warband. Fun to use.

For my Mercs, it makes the new matchup system fine as I'm able to compete with any similar rated warband regardless of equipment impacting ratings. Also when starting out, I don't have to solely rely on my captain to kill things.

For Undead also fun, although I'm still leveling them up but I see them making Dregs obsolete. The Ogre is actually a stronger and faster version of the Dreg (they get access to the same skills but have more health and movement). I love having them because they can keep up with my vampire movement wise.
  4. FlaminGallahs2089 Corporal

Message Count:
    I have come up against many warbands with an ogre without having one myself.
    But I have realised how useless they make dregs and even ghouls.
    Personally I beleive they should be capped at a certain number per warband.
    I always thought propper crypt ghouls would be a better addition to undead as they are weaker than ogres because of the equipment fact. So it would balance out (with the vampire having to still be the difference maker).
    But if people dont buy ogres I think they now will be left behind which can caus some ideas of 'pay to win'
    Yes the whole paying thing can be avoided, but thats really tedious and very few will do it.
    But it does make it more fun versing human warbands,
    I have found less rang heavy warbands that just skirmish you down as undead, but more hybrids which i always feel makes for a diverse style of play and less boring when grinding.
    Great addition, not perfect yet in my eyes, but very minimal negatives.
    Thanks for the continuous updates.
  5. Deadhiel Corporal

Message Count:
    In pve ogre’s are easy to counter. In pvp my Skaven are steamrolled as the hvy armor is too tough to counter along with high W. I hate rat ogre’s currently so don’t have an effective counter and gnawdoom is doing 1-2 damage per shot. It’s a massacre.
  6. Zimoshimo Private

Message Count:
    in pve i've come up against one, and it was easy to counter.
  7. Gurslak Corporal

Message Count:
    Ogres seem fine, but I agree that they should be limited to 0-1.
  8. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    If you ever limit it to 0-1, I want a refund!!!! Hopefully that won't change, playing 4 ogres fun as hell
  9. Double Misfire Private

Message Count:
    I'm probably gonna seem like a massive killjoy for saying this, but while I'm sure there have been ogre mercenaries fighting in the Empire for as long as there has been an Empire, the most recent Ogre Kingdoms book established the moniker "maneater" didn't arise until the height of the career of the (in)famous ogre mercenary captain Golgfag Maneater around 2500 Imperial Calendar, 500 years after the events of Mordheim. With this in mind it would probably canon-accurate to remove all instances referring to "maneaters" from the in game text for any ogre hired sword associated equipment. :(

Otherwise I'm absolutely loving my ogre and toying with firing the rest of my melee fighters to make room for more of them! :D

Does anyone have any experience of ogres with blackpowder training? Do they use regular pistols? I'd love the chance to give one the pistolier skill.
    Auretious Taak and Ewan Lamont like this.
  10. Igenham Corporal

Message Count:
    You can give them a pistol, but they have no other available skills to go with it, so it ends up being a one-time extra shot usually. Not sure if it is worth it, but looks cool.
    Double Misfire likes this.
  11. FlaminGallahs2089 Corporal

Message Count:
    4 ogres are OP, they definetly need a limit
    Just versed a guy in pve,
    And legit it the first time my vamp has died in about 100-200 games...
    But if a limit is introduced it needs to still compensate people who have more ogres,
    I feel something like people whom have 4 atm can keep them, but if they die they cant be revived till they under the limit.

I feel with the chance to have 4 ogres its a little buy to win,
    And for context my vamp is lvl 35 with very high stats allround and most combat skills boosted.
    He stunned the oppiset capatain and 3 ogres and another warrior before getting taken down.
  12. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    Buy to win...see you can hire them for gold and not fate, if you have patience and save your gold you don't spend fate.

My brother put to me some good points on the Ogres and balance - they don't have speed skills and so they can't get stun immunity. 2 well built characters or even one with high damage can very easily one or two round an ogre. My brother is in the 2000ish rating area and that's enough for ogres on maxed wounds and armour to be an issue, but they are limited in several ways.

That your vampire died for the first time in several hundred games isn't the rest of us being convinced they are broken especially as you monstered that warband first by stunning not one, not two, but THREE Ogres first as well as the enemy captain. Yoyur arguement here feels a bit like a whine because your vampire got ooa'ed in a pve game. In pvp, a lot of the warbands you face in pve can royally stomp your vampire when played well, and whilst having 4 tanks on the field can be n issue, you as a player also have a lot of flexibility in approaching the game strategically and tactically, especially if it's a rout or wipe out the enemy game - you don't have to do it as fast as possible. E.g. I've a 100 rating reiklander pistolier warband (I want 4 ogres in there but at 500 shards found I've had 5 ogres pop up, only one of which had 15 wounds and he had crappy strength and WS and screw that for a joke, so still at 4 gunzerkers). I'm now at that point where you can face long ranged firepower that can one round your guys, so I've been adapting, keeping tighter formations, hiding in narrow areas with escapes to hard cover (line of sight blocking cover) and just letting the enemy come at me. Most of my games are pve, because I get very frustrated against opponents who take all the time in the world even when they don't need to. But I've also been applying similar approaches against Ogre's, because you do need to focus attention on them to clear the wounds as fast as possible.

I digress, it's too late to limit the number of ogres, it would alienate too much of the player base and lets be frank, there isn't a huge number of us, if there wre then pvp matches would ALWAYS be available and they aren't always (my sleeping is messed up currentl6y, I've been on at all points on the 24 hour cycle recently heh). I reckon a revisal of their rating contribution is one thing that could be looked at, but the rating system is a bit wacked currently anyway, and another approach could be adding an upkeep cost in gold for each additional hired sword of the same type hired (because you can get 4 pit fighters or 4 sorcerers and that is a thing too - 4 skaven sorcerers and an assassin all casting can overwhelm many opponents). I don't think limiting the numbers now would be fair to the player base as a collective whole and it would create too much tension with players with maxed ogres and those without. So another solution needs to come forth.
    FlaminGallahs2089 likes this.
  13. FlaminGallahs2089 Corporal

Message Count:
    Honestly I agree,
    I was just in a little shock that for the first time in ages my vamp got taken out.
    It was a very open map so I couldnt employ my normal ambush tactics and I rushed it in a sense as such.
    First time versing 4 ogres I didnt know what to do.
    You make fair points.
    It was porr strategy on my part, and horrible warband building that led to it.
    Like my 200 reiklander rated warband has taken out armies with two ogres, just because I have been smart.
    It was a reaction that was to quick, and kind of done in shock.
  14. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I think you're right in that player base is limited. Most likely the ones that do play regularly, myself included, are those who are veterans from the table-top version. Miss going to a game store and playing in a Mordheim campaign but no longer have time to do that, so this mobile version gives me my fix.

But I think you're also having a hard time finding a pvp opponent because a large majority of warbands are at low ratings, <200. Once you get over that, it becomes progressively harder. I remember in the old rating system, my solo merc could always find a pvp opponent until he got over 500, then it because increasingly difficult. Now although I love to, I don't pvp much anymore because almost always No Opponent Found

I think if GW we to relaunch Mordheim, like they did Necromunda, we'd see a big pickup in players.
    Spannna likes this.
  15. Spannna Private

Message Count:
    Definitely those and that the game is still being fleshed out with further updates. I've only recently started getting into the tabletop, but correct me if I'm wrong, there are a some mechanics and factions in the TT game that make it insanely fun and would help it appeal to a greater audience. I mean looking at the play store 50k dloads is pretty good. Not sure what the app store figures are.

BTW kudos to Legendary. It's the only mobile game I've kept playing from a public beta. Especially when I lose inte... SQUIRREL!!! Love the updates!
    Amaan Shawkath likes this.