Improving Leaderboard

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Cyberaddict, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    I think adding two columns to the Leaderboard could greatly improve it : User Name and PvP Win Rate.

User Name (or tag) is an interesting information to have, so that we know who we are playing against (this should be made available in PvP as well ; it helps creating a community, as the Warbands are no longer anonymous).

And PvP Win Rate could be used to sort out results when two Warbands have otherwise the same score. Players who don’t participate at all in PvP would see their Warbands score less on the Leaderboard, compared to others that do and have the same number of Shards.

Maybe, also, you could have a separate Leaderboard, one that is not sort out by Shards (then PvP Win Rate), but strictly by PvP Win Rate. The huge Warbands with 5000+ rating won’t appear there (as they rarely can get games in PvP), but this will only encourage players to start new Warbands (and spend Fate building them up).
  2. Blackstaff Corporal

Message Count:
    I think it might be better to provide the option to display one's username, or not. Many people expect and desire anonymity in their online gaming, and that must be respected.

I'd support a second 'PvP' leaderboard, for the benefit of those who do it, separate from the shard count lists.
  3. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    Just a tag will do, not necessarily the real User’s Name. Many games sport their leaderboards that way.
  4. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    I think many things need to happen before we should invest in creating a PVP dashboard, namely balancing and a level cap. In PVP, it's best that everyone can reach an end game level so if let's say we capped levels at 30. Like most games, PVP is matched up by a PVP rating based on wins and loss and not equipment or stat ratings of the character/warband.

The issue I have with simply creating a separate leaderboard now is that you will have someone with a 200 pt war band facing a bunch of noobs, getting a high win pct. and thinking that he's the top PVPer. If we were to create a PVP leaderboard now, when you que, it should disregard war band ratings but instead match up on PVP ratings. Thus in theory a 200 war band rating today can face a 5000 war band rated. But that's okay because it would encourage that 200 pt war band to work on leveling up. I don't agree with making the loyal players who've built up end game war bands create a new one and also I would never consider a war band a legitimate top pvp war band until it has faced my top war band.
    Jesse Shaffer likes this.
  5. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    Do you seriously need this? Do WE seriously need this? Competition may be good and healthy, but will soon start to become boring as the meta is will not change in the near future, at least I am not expecting it to change, unless Orks are going to be totally broken both combat and magic wise. Even then, it will not shuffle bands enough, some are still clearly superior to others and some builds are clearly superior to others in most cases, if not all of them. Would you enjoy meeting 10 different enemies with 8-9 identic band builds? I would not. If you want competition, some things like BR (battle rating) and many hired swords should drastically change.
    Jesse Shaffer likes this.
  6. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    I used to play PVP all the time but rarely do these days. My pet peeve with PVP is that the overwhelming majority of my opponents take FOREVER to move. And it’s not like these people are playing some complex three dimensional chess in their minds. Their moves are usually obvious; they’re just camping in the hope that I’ll quite. I want a small amount of extra health taken away from players who take longer than 15 seconds to make their move and a larger penalty for people who take more than 20. It would give a more immersive frenetic feel to matches similar to real combat and it would keep the people who don’t have jobs or lives from camping on the damn turn button.

I love the idea of attaching something like a non-editable pseudonym to our warbands—kind of like a brand name. I don’t want want to violate anyone’s privacy, I just want to know where the warband comes from. This way, if Mechanicus Jellybean (just made this up) is a habitual rage quitter or excruciatingly slow, then we can just avoid their warbands.

An icon next to a prospective warband’s name would also be nice. Just something that indicates whether the player is fast or slow.
  7. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    This seems like......WHAT? I honestly do not understand what you have in mind. And less than 30 sec to move is bullsh't. Like....you look around the map in search for shards, or possible ambush spots the first turn, do not tell me Shaffer that you do not need at least 20 sec to look around the damn map. If I am playing f.e. Marienburg against Skaven, I need some time to rethink spots that pose danger. And where to fly with my captain? No, 30 seconds is a good top limit. If you don't like it, your problem.
    Cyberaddict likes this.
  8. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    I agree. Some time is needed to spot the Shards, or estimate the Treasure’s location (first turn). Then, you just don’t rush in the open, but tap tap tap to find the right spot where to send your units. Of course, if we could see the grid, with the available squares where we could move to (different shades for walk/run), as well as where the covers are, this would help tremendously. There are squares where you would instinctively think you could move to, but no, and others that you would think they provide cover, but not (second floor of central building in Rat Catcher Alley is notorious for that).

Also, some animations can be accelerated, like when a unit climbs a wall/ladder, or just move, this would help speed up game play.

The one last thing that I find very time consuming in PvP are animal companions and summoned rats. I never play with these, because they are so painful to watch move. AI pauses for a few seconds between each rats, as if it must process something quite brilliant, but then they just wander aimlessly around. Gee, when will people understand? These rats even take your covers, hinder your movement, and when in big numbers, even prevent your own units of doing their things (unless melee weapons with reach, ranged and other melee weapons or disabled when the target is attacked (ranged) or surrounded (melee). I hate them. Really, I do. And never ever play with them.
    CzaRus likes this.
  9. Jesse Shaffer Brigadier

Message Count:
    I totally need 20 to 30 seconds to look around the map—sometimes even 40. But. Not. Eight. Times. Every. Turn. And I suspect neither do most people.

I said that I wanted a “small amount” of health taken away but perhaps minuscule might have been better. Just enough to incentivize people to pick up the pace. Taking the full 30 for each character for a round or two—or even three—shouldn’t impact a person’s game much at all. But it would add up and doing it for every model every round would obviously be a loosing strategy. Essentially it's a soft cap that would promote people taking less time but allow for more when they actually need it.
  10. Shangular Brigadier

Message Count:
    I don't think it's a top priority as I've mentioned some mechanical changes should take precedence. But it would be nice to have feature to have a more organized and meaningful PVP scoredboard. I enjoy PVP in the spirit of friendly competition. I'm actually glad there is no option to exchange chats during a match as it prevents people from posting inappropriate comments as they PVP. I've played other gameas where some people take PVP far too seriously lol (especially those who can't take a loss). But I think having a season scoreboard where the winner each season gets some cosmetic prize and seasons reset so that new players can partake can be a good thing.

But getting back to the original post, my impression is that most people want a meaningful leaderboard. The current on isn't meaningful in that having the most shards doesn't mean you're the top warband. Until this rebalancing occurs, not sure what a good meaningful metric would be for a leaderboard and of course this is all for fun.

Also I think having a tag to show who owns which warband may not be a bad thing. It still keeps people private, if you tag is for example GoofyBear345, no one knows who that is. For me I've noted the warbands I normally use in my signature line below. I do have a few other experimental warbands but named them all Reikland Mercenaries ;)
  11. Blackstaff Corporal

Message Count:
    I wasn't referring to real names. I was referring to those who do not wish any tag or screenname applied to, in this case, warband ranking lists.

Having read through the extended discussion, tags and usernames are not the real issue; having a meaningful leaderboard is. Right now it's an indicator of how much one has played, which is not very useful.
  12. Cyberaddict Major

Message Count:
    I understand, but I really think knowing who the coach of each Warbands we’re facing is a valuable information. @Shangular recognized my Skaven yesterday (when they were still named Literally Undefeated). And I recognized his Possessed today. But it would be awesome to know our opposition, it creates a better sense of community, and some extra challenge and fun.
  13. Blackstaff Corporal

Message Count:
    For my part, I agree with fostering a sense of community, and that it's cool, and tactically useful, to know who I'm fighting. After all, as you can see I list my warbands in my signature. But not everyone thinks this way, and it could also be considered an advantage to remain entirely anonymous. All I can say is erring on the side of privacy is typically a better policy.

As for the leaderboard, as others have mentioned I'd like to see a bracketed board which takes warband rating, and even activity level (after, say, 3 months without logging a match) into account. Warbands which in the past amassed huge wyrdstone counts would fall off the top of such a leaderboard, providing a more accurate reflection of what's currently happening in the ranks.
  14. CzaRus Major

Message Count:
    Mordheim: Warband Skirmish is NOT an RTS (like DoW or CoH where every second your decision matters, and you need strong control over a large number of forces spread across a huge battlefield). It is a TBS, (like XCOM or even Chess where you just play your turn, carefully think over every step and play very slowly). And yes, I hate that waiting as well, yet this is how the game functions, and it does so well. If you want speedgames with healthdrain and insist on it, put a suggestion of adding secondary PVP channel or whatever to be like that. Standart PVP (as mentioned before) needs rebalancing first and for most.