Is Armor/Defense broken?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chaosticket, Jun 23, 2017.

1. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    You're going to like the ranged nurf when you see a Skaven slinger warband :p
  2. Marquand Major

Message Count:
    yhm. So what do you propose? That because Long Rifle costs 600 it should be 1-2-3 shots 1 kill? Ok, I counter that with cost of full plate and open helmet (not mentioning gromril arm) that costs much more, like 700+ gc, so it shouldn't be ignored easily.

I advise you to play more, currently I'm in top 15 on a leaderboard and it looks completely different than at the beginning/middle. Long rifles are powerfull but if you think you can win a battle with a 1-2 you're mistaken.

So what if you can have 4gc hammer with 3 attacks and S60? Comparing shooting weapon to melee one is like comparing wheel to triangle. You have to be in close combat to use it. To be in close combat means you must somehow get to it, which further means walking under fire, spending rounds in hiding and creeping (which not always works because of enemy's high I detection radius. Then you must survive retaliation. And as always you could be charged first -> stunned/killed in one round.

At the same time you can have your marksman shooting from half the battlefield, being only threatend by other long rifles. Enemy sends a tanker in front? Change position that he's no longer the closest target. Hide. You don't always have to fire every turn. Make your own tnking can. All you need is full plate, some good shield, good helmet and you have it.

Yes, combat is strong as it should be and so it was in the tabletop. Original Mordheim was certainly not perfect system (doesn't mean it was non enjoyable, on the contrary) and analogies don't work here. Mordheim Warband Skirmish is far superior when it comes to "rules", armour at last means something unlike in original M. where it was just a crap that gave you nothing, unless you had gromril armour, which almost never happened.

Taking about being one shotted by bow or throwing knife is inadequate, because rules are different here and thanks Sigmar they are. I certainly don't want buffs to long rifles or scoped long rifles - again, play more and see for yourself how long rifles exclusive warbands deal with your super heavy armoured guys. And they are AI controled co are inferior to human tactics. I bet then you would say that armour is too weak and to expensive because enemy kills your warriors at range.
  3. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    Theres no easy way to fix things. The changes between Mordheim and Warband Skirmish are rather entwined.

Armor just doesnt seem lowered by 40+ strength attacks. That just means armor gives you a high chance of taking Zero damage. Armored prices are just heavily inflated. Light/Brigandine armor is fair. Its cheap and gives you a small chance of working like original Mordheim. Full Plate armor costs about 15-20 times as much and is about 3 times as effective. Its supposed to be counterable but really isnt. Theres no way to reduce high armor to 0.

So its a lot more effective and Economics here means that heavy armor is rarer. The ranged counters are not really there. You dont pick up an expensive Handgun and answer the problem. Why is that? Because the changes between the games means handguns are very inaccurate and surprisingly low damage.

In another thread I talk about how you cannot combine effective melee weapons weapons and ranged weapons without an absurd character level.

Overall Legendary is really trying to enforce things like RPG "tank" characters, instead of what you would actually see in Mordheim games, namely characters with melee weapons and ranged weapons.
  4. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    I finally found one. A character with defense somewhere around 75% from equipment and skills, a lot of hit points, and I couldnt do squat against that one character just running up and spotting my whole team.