Item Prices

There's a spreadsheet which lists all the items in Mordhiem, and also has their minimum and maximum prices.

However my new warband is seeing some VERY strange prices, up to 20% lower then normal without skills.

So the question is, does more members in a warband increase the cost of items?

morjax

YouTuber & Moderator
Staff member
For those who have not seen it yet, this is the spreadsheet in question, which I put together originally and curate. Two things to note immediately are
1) The data was originally comprised of my own observations (I hit the store after every match and logged what I saw). This is changing now with other people's additions, but up until recently the data set was fairly limited (just want I personally have seen).
2) I originally created the sheet in December of 2016. In six months, a great deal has changed. It is entirely possible (and likely, I think) that prices have been tweaked in that time for balance purposes. If this is the case, simply continue commenting with what prices you all are seeing, along with any other comments (like "I think this is the actual price range, and that it was changed at some point") and I'll keep updating the sheet.

That all said, it is also possible that gear pricing is connected to warband size, meaning that it becomes increasingly expensive to maintain a large band, and also that it's slightly easier to bounce back after receiving heavier casualties. The way to test that would be to collect a lot of data on some common items at different warband sizes (one step up from clubs, etc. since they seem to always have a flat rate, but still common items so many data points can be collected).

----------

I think a good start would be to show a dozen data points for each various warband size. Care to contribute? Let's pick a couple items as our benchmarks that are not rare, but still have a decent price tag and range:

Great Sword (current range 20-57)
Curiass (current range 165-218 gc)
Round Shield (current range 16-20gc)

If you spot these items in store, post your price and your warband size!

That explains a little about why everything past the crossbow is incredibly inflated in cost.

legendary games, what do you expect us to be, Emperor of the Empire to afford these prices? Its 4 gold for a spear and 100+ gold for a Two-handed Flamberg sword?

That explains a little about why everything past the crossbow is incredibly inflated in cost.

legendary games, what do you expect us to be, Emperor of the Empire to afford these prices? Its 4 gold for a spear and 100+ gold for a Two-handed Flamberg sword?
100 gold is about 5 games if you sell 1 wyrdstone per game.

You can easily equip people with basic gear, but the good stuff takes time.

Or would you rather a new of new marksmen running around with hockland long rifles right away?

Oh and one of my warbands with 5 members has;
1*Gromril Armour
1*Full Plate
1*Heavy Cuirass
2*Skull Cuirass
1*Gromril Great Sword
2*Flame Sword
1*Lithilmar Sword
1*Champion Helm
4*Champion Helms
1*Imperial Skull Shield

And it still has 289gold in the bank, and 42 unused wyrdstone out of a 351 of them collected.

I see nothing wronh with a flame sword costing over 100 gold, when a normal greatsword costs 44. (Seriously, a spear is a long stick with a spike, and a sword is a skilled piece of blacksmithing.)

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
The prices of items do fluctuate from time to time, and like Morjax stated, as your Warband increases, so do the prices of equipment.

We've made it so you can obtain high-end items but you'll need to work for them (as Etherkye has kindly demonstrated). You're right in saying that Spears are extremely cheap, but so are a lot of the lower-tier weapons because they are very weak in comparison to other weapons, like the Flame Sword for example.

The prices of many items, mostly weapons, seems based on what they will do if your have weapon mastery. A flame sword and most two-handed weapons are just rubbish but with the extra weapon Skills chosen, but if you do now you have something outrageous like a +20% critical hit chance, or +25% parry.

So what is the point if weapons are basically priced to be extremely overpriced UNLESS you pick the special skills? Wouldnt you just have that theyir default statistics if youre going to price them based on potential? either be cheaper or stronger without the skills.

The economy in this game is screwed up big time. I found Ithilmar Armor, Elf Longbow, Hochland Long Rifle, and gromril Armor on a new warband I made to test out, but I couldnt find a simple axe for 5gold.

So what is the point if weapons are basically priced to be extremely overpriced UNLESS you pick the special skills? Wouldnt you just have that theyir default statistics if youre going to price them based on potential? either be cheaper or stronger without the skills.
It's REALLY simple, you're not suppose to start with them or have them early game! They are items to save up for and get later, by which point you'll have gained levels and can invest in the skill to make them better.

If you don't want to buy a flame sword, then don't buy it! But it only takes 4 games to afford one so I don't see the problem.

And you get different items after each and every battle.

The problem...is taking liberties padding out the game for no real benefit. Originally common items like spears and axes may not appear let alone be purchased in bulk for your entire warband and then you get teased by expensive items.

Costs are heavily inflated and get worse. two-handed weapons (sword, axe, hammer, etc) costs a whopping 15gold in the original Mordheim game.

So there is a whole system of tiers based on arbitrary costs.

This game starts out like Mordheim and then goes off in a random direction. Kind of clear that Im not of the changes. I have a wishlist that is basically "Make Mordheim Warband Skirmish better" and the economy is one.

I dont get why Legendary-Games keep some like like the wyrdstone reward prices (or lower for every new warband member) but then have everything so costly? Its almost as if your not supposed to have your characters die and be replaced.

So Okay have spears, axes, and the like be "always available" at least. Also keep the new warband member prices fixed or at the very least if you have a character die make all characters in the tavern 25gold.

Thank you for the list by the way. It helps show off what I can afford, and its only the low tier equipment. Best I can get is about 30 gold items like cutlass, crossbow, brigandine armor, and a helmet.

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
Everything in the game is attainable. Some prices are higher than others, but it has been designed that way so that you can't get your hands on a powerful weapon unless you're willing to pay the price. Part of becoming more powerful as a Warband is upgrading your units (whether that be through skills or equipment) over time, so giving you powerful equipment from the beginning isn't something we'd want to do. You need to determine what is worth buying and what isn't, which is all part of managing your units. There are some rules from the tabletop we've decided to defer from to make sure they make sense in a video game adaptation.

If you want to be able to use certain weapons to their fullest you will have to upgrade your skills. It's quite a small price to pay, especially if you're using something as cheap as a hand axe for example, which will give you +20% to your crit hit. Another example of a good cheap weapon that can be used is the Falchion.

The store is randomised each time you return from battle. It can be beneficial to equip your units with cheaper items until you've got enough cash to be able to replace them, but like I've said, It's all up to you to decide when/what you should spend your gold on.

You've made a fair suggestion about making less powerful items more prominent in the store... noted!

Ok Overwatch, just after the moment I was robed from full plate armour, open helmet, ostland axe and healing herbs. It costed about 1000gc (yup, increased prices) and since I have 7 men warband it took about 40 battles (drastically rounding down) to buy all of this - even more because items you want are not always available.

I'm high level in the ranking and have no (effective) backup weapons and armour. My character is now close to useless thanks to stupid robed result. Now, instead of making my warband better by equipping other members in better weapons and armour I'm back to nothing. It's not fun. It makes my want to uninstal this game. Any other injuries I can deal with coins. Collecting another 1000gc will take hours just to go back to "normal".

Ok Overwatch, just after the moment I was robed from full plate armour, open helmet, ostland axe and healing herbs. It costed about 1000gc (yup, increased prices) and since I have 7 men warband it took about 40 battles (drastically rounding down) to buy all of this - even more because items you want are not always available.
Take the weapon, helmet, and armour from 3 different people to make him usable, replace those items with substitutes.

You'll now have 4 usable but weaker people to play with instead of 1 useless one.

There's a reason I always keep backups...

Yeah, backups...what if every money you earn goes to buy equipment and you don't have backups because everything is so expensive that you sell your old stuff for that few gc to have full sum? I can't take weapon from any of my guys because with replacements they will suck. Same with armour - am I to transfer armour from one cc fighter to another? what's the point?

This game really has a tier system because of things especially equipment. Robbed may actually be worse than Death. You can pay cash to resurrect dead characters but robbed means you had a major set back you cannot fix no matter what.

Wyrdstone as far as I know never improves. It actually gets less profitable as you warband grows so you need increasing amounts after ever single battle.

There is a massive difference between original Mordheim and this because of that. Most expensive items wouldnt be purchased because dead means dead. Buying a Hochland Long Rifle might be cool but having 6-7 crossbows is better.

This game really has a tier system because of things especially equipment. Robbed may actually be worse than Death. You can pay cash to resurrect dead characters but robbed means you had a major set back you cannot fix no matter what.

Wyrdstone as far as I know never improves. It actually gets less profitable as you warband grows so you need increasing amounts after ever single battle.

There is a massive difference between original Mordheim and this because of that. Most expensive items wouldnt be purchased because dead means dead. Buying a Hochland Long Rifle might be cool but having 6-7 crossbows is better.
Did you ever actually play Mordhiem? Or do you just like bitching about everything without having a clue?

Dead is worse then robbed, you lose all the XP as well as the gear. Then you have to train a new guy up from scratch and he's going to be horribly underpowered in terms of skills, which mean he'll get less kills, and so level up slower.

Wyrdstone reduces by about 1 gold per stone, for each person you have. In the original you also got less gold the more people you had. So yea it's less profitable, as it always was.

I once played Bretonians, my warband was 3 knights on horses with swords, and 2 squires with daggers. I spent most of my gold on the horses! It was great fun, and yes there was always the risk that they would be killed off and I'd lose the horse, but it never stopped me from buying them.

Warband's are suppose to start off shit with the worst weapons you can find. Then as you level up they'll get better and you'll kit a few of them out with special weapons.

Players ALWAYS bought the expensive weapons though. And there was always the risk of dieing. But it's part of the game.

And yes, 6-7 crossbows are cool, but if everyone has a crossbow, how do you make them better? You get one of them a better weapon!

The game is suppose to be a slow progression, with set backs. If there was no risk then everyone would just keep getting permanently better until everyone had teams of 8 in the best armour, weapons, and with every skills. Is that what you want? The top of the leader board flooded by maxed out guys?

Yea it's shit when you die or get robbed. My team in heavy armour and flame swords had 2 guys robbed at once. That hurt. I just put them in the light armour and normal greatswords I'd kept, and went back out to raise money to re-equip them with what I wanted.

This game has set backs. You'll loose people. You'll loose gear. You'll have a guy that has 2 broken legs and walks at a speed of 2/2 and never gets anywhere, or a warrior who got 2 hand wounds and had -24WS (It happened, I had to let him go).

It happens, it's annoying, but you get to carry on.

They did mention they where going to adjust warband ratings to take gear into account, which means that if you get robbed your next few levels will be easier to win so you'll get more shards, and therefore more money.

Oh, and never sell 2 Wrydstone at once, the 2nd stone isn't worth anything. Best to only sell 1 or 3+ at a time. Also keep 1 back incase you don't win any because the 1st stone is worth the most!