Matchmaking Issue

On my second warband (first had to be scrapped after being robbed 3 times in 2 games) I had just 2 people in my match but with quite nice weapons. My first game was against a team of 5, all in fancy armour and pikes/rifles.

I'm not quite sure what the match making system is but if it's based on warband ratings then I think there's a minor issue.

Ratings in the original mordhiem was based on number of units, total level of units, cost of their kit.

If the system on the app is similar (although someone mentioned a -ve rating which is very strange) then something like that shouldn't be allowed to happen.

I did of course lose horribly and quickly, and luckily took for lasing damage, but for that to happen in my first few hours of having the app, it didn't leave me with much confidence in playing the game.

How do you work out warband ratings, and how do you match people up?

So while my warband technically has 4 members, 2 of them can't fight due to injuries. So I'm using my leader, and someone brand new I had to buy to just have the 2 members fighting.

There are 6 people in the warband against me...

Is your matchmaking also taking into account injured members when matchmaking? If so I think it should be adjusted not to, as I'm fighting at half strengh, so I have about half the HP, so twice as likely to lose!

morjax

YouTuber & Moderator
Staff member
I don't have the exact details of warband ranks and matchmaking, but you should be matched against a similar warband ranking to what you actually bring to the field, meaning that injured warriors not participating do not count towards your field rating for that game.

Also, matchmaking can be a bit spotty when the leaderboard is not well-fleshed out. this happened when the beta first dropped: there were not that many warbands to go up against, and so the match ups were less closely matched as they would have been if there were more options to go up against. I believe the solution currently implemented is that your chance to die against a stronger warband is reduced proportional to how much of an underdog you are, so at least you have some chance to stay on your feet. My experience with the beta was that matches got a lot better once more people had played it (meaning there were more opponents to chose from in the boards).

This also occurs if you happen to be towards the very top of the lists - if your warband rating is much higher than most other people's the matches aren't terribly balanced, such that it's a little bit easier than it otherwise would be to hold a top leaderboard position. Of course, this only affects an extremely select group of people. I'm not sure how better to handle this, save for expanding the system that creates AI matches if there's no good player-built matches for you. Suggestions welcome! I'm sure the devs would love to hear!

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
On my second warband (first had to be scrapped after being robbed 3 times in 2 games) I had just 2 people in my match but with quite nice weapons. My first game was against a team of 5, all in fancy armour and pikes/rifles.

I'm not quite sure what the match making system is but if it's based on warband ratings then I think there's a minor issue.

Ratings in the original mordhiem was based on number of units, total level of units, cost of their kit.

If the system on the app is similar (although someone mentioned a -ve rating which is very strange) then something like that shouldn't be allowed to happen.

I did of course lose horribly and quickly, and luckily took for lasing damage, but for that to happen in my first few hours of having the app, it didn't leave me with much confidence in playing the game.

How do you work out warband ratings, and how do you match people up?
The way the Warband currently works is by multiplying the number of units you have by 5, then add the experience of each unit together a long with that figure to get your rating. I have just noticed however that the figure I'm presented with is different from the one I got from doing that calculation, so I'm going to bring this up to the rest of the team to see if there's some information I'm missing here to get that total.

We do try to use the Warband rating to match you up against an opponent of similar skill level. We might need to do some tweaking to ensure that players (like yourself) aren't being matched up against an opponent with lots of units when they're only able to use a small number of units due to injuries etc. These are all details I'm going to pass on to the rest of the team, so thanks for your feedback and for creating a discussion around this!

5 per unit, plus XP, doesn't sound like a good idea. Surely it should be levels you add not XP points. My leader has 232 XP at the moment, but he's not the same strength as over 40 units. This might not matter to much when all warbands are human, but when the rats come along...

Also people have been reporting negative warband ratings, and I've had that as well. So something is wrong in the calculation somewhere.

Kit should probably be included somewhere in the rating though, cause me having Cuirass armour on everyone is obviously an advantage over someone without armour.

Overwatch

Community Manager
Staff member
5 per unit, plus XP, doesn't sound like a good idea. Surely it should be levels you add not XP points. My leader has 232 XP at the moment, but he's not the same strength as over 40 units. This might not matter to much when all warbands are human, but when the rats come along...

Also people have been reporting negative warband ratings, and I've had that as well. So something is wrong in the calculation somewhere.

Kit should probably be included somewhere in the rating though, cause me having Cuirass armour on everyone is obviously an advantage over someone without armour.
Like I say, I'm not a hundred per cent sure whether I'm missing some information here! So I'll be sure to get back to you once I've got an answer on that... something doesn't quite add up.

edward

Major
I'm having a horrid time in matchmaking since I had 5 of my original members die until I just had one of my original marksmen left as Captain (level 21), Now he is being matched against teams of 5-8 with superior gear and stats across the board. Played probably 20 games that were pretty much unwinnable without ambush cheese, and every new guy I hire is getting demolished before he even makes it through a couple of levels.

SO basically I'm in a rough situation where I'll probably have to dismiss my level 21 leader to have a crack at getting a functional warband levelled again.

Not fun :(

I'm having a horrid time in matchmaking since I had 5 of my original members die until I just had one of my original marksmen left as Captain (level 21), Now he is being matched against teams of 5-8 with superior gear and stats across the board. Played probably 20 games that were pretty much unwinnable without ambush cheese, and every new guy I hire is getting demolished before he even makes it through a couple of levels.

SO basically I'm in a rough situation where I'll probably have to dismiss my level 21 leader to have a crack at getting a functional warband levelled again.

Not fun :(
Remember you get 1XP for winning per member, so just keep them back and try to pick people off with your captain.

Also when you're offered the 4 levels, always pick one of the bottom two as they are way more evenly matched.

edward

Major
Yeah I try to keep them in the shadows and avoid combat when they are low levels, but without engaging in combat they often receive no experience whatsoever even on a win. If they get put out of action and survive they earn 1 xp though. I always pick the bottom two, the matches are more interesting from those selections.. plus you get some intel on what you'll be facing and sometimes you will be familiar with the opponent's warband already which is handy.

I know it's hard, but try to get your main guys to do the serious damage and then use the newbies to get the last kill in. It sometimes means having to give up an attack or two, but it works enough to get them a few extra points.

edward

Major
That's probably the most efficient way but yeah it sure is tricky business. I think a large part of 'success' in the game is playing wisely as i am sure most my deaths could have been largely avoided by a less aggressive playstyle. I have noticed the AI will target the weakest units just about always. Losing core members deep into the game is very hard to bounce back from I feel, but that's probably as intended.

Not all that different from the table top game.

Vampire Count warbands where 100% reliant on the vampire, if he died you where completely screwed.