Monsters are Loose!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Ewan Lamont, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    “What is that coming over the hill? Is it a Rat, is it an Ogre?”
    - Rob Hawk (deceased)

Rat Ogres are massive hulking monstrosities that represent the very pinnacle of Skaven ingenuity, a lethal killing-machine beast that combines the inhumane reflexes of a Skaven with the brawn and size of an Ogre. Though many would be mistaken otherwise, Rat Ogres are not a separate breed of the Skaven race, rather Rat Ogres are creatures born from the fusion of crossbreeding different types of horrific creatures with Skaven blood, and surgically augmenting what is left.
    Rat Ogres are owned and used as bodyguards by only the most important and influential of Skaven. They are literally the Rolls Royce or Bugatti Veyron’s of the Skaven world, these are now available to hire with fate in the Skaven burrow. They are now and will be forever the fastest, strongest toughest creature in the game. So long as you have Skaven nearby to direct it, it will harvest enemy like a scythe through corn, scattering everything in its wake. If you come across one in Mordheim don’t run - it is faster than you! Your only hope is to kill its skittering little buddies that are directing it, rendering it directionless and thick as mince or bring it down with a titanic effort of combined arms – preferably from a very long way away.
    TheWizardWatley and morjax like this.
  2. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    Can we only have one? :D:D
  3. DTay88 Corporal

Message Count:
    Also if I buy one when I have say 5 warriors will I still be able to fill all 8 slots or does the 8th slot have to be filled with a hired sword regardless of the composition of my previous 7 slots?
  4. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    Okay now gives humans access to regular Ogres that can use weapons and armor.
  5. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    Is it a bug or a feature that my rat ogre doesn't get xp?
  6. Chaosticket Major

Message Count:
    Well in the original game certain characters had "animal" as a trait, meaning they are dumb and cant learn. a rat Ogre is large but its basically a Giant Rat Hulked out or a verminkin trained as an animal...that is Hulked Out.

Legendary-games is hit-and-miss with its adapatational rules so I dont know for certain that it is not a bug.

It would be pretty screwed up if Rat Ogres could gain experience though as you would see them with 10 attacks per turn very shortly.
  7. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    This is by design. Giving them access to the various skills as well would be pretty problematic in later stages! Like Chaos has mentioned, a 10 hit combo from a Rat Ogre would not be easy to deal with. They're already very powerful and fast which makes them pretty dangerous.

They do suffer from stupidity though. Meaning that they pretty much become useless if they're not within the range of other units. So keep your big stupid friend close, and he'll protect you well.

To answer a previous question just like other "hired sword" type units, the Rat Ogre will not become available until you have 4+ units within your Warband. You'll always have a spot reserved for a "hired sword", so if you have already hired a Rat Ogre they'll essentially fill that spot. So yes, you'll be able to hire other units with no problem and have a total of 8 units.
    morjax likes this.
  8. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:

You all are so kind to stay so close by me. I appreciate your company :D
    OverWatch likes this.
  9. LathotHead Major

Message Count:
    I don't know if this has been exploited yet, but when I bought my first Rat Ogre, there was more than one in the Burrow, so I -could- have bought a second one. I did not test this out, and I only noticed it the first time I bought a Rat Ogre, after that I've not seen one in the burrow since. But there were multiple ones in the Burrow the first time I bought one. Might want to keep an eye out for warbands with more than 1, if that's a limitation brought over from the tabletop.
  10. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:

I will try this if the opportunity presents itself...