Mutations!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Prabdeep Bazaz, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    Cult-of-the-Posessed---MUTATIONS2.png

Bodies and minds are perverted by the touch of Chaos and followers of the dark gods are sometimes blessed with a physical change that will help them better serve their masters.

The Dark Pact skill will now generate mutation as well as death, madness and possession. In response to user feedback we have reduced the chance of negative results in the later levels of Dark Pact, added new skills to the possessed and given them access to items.

Download the update on Browser, Android and Apple.

- Socials -
    Found a bug? Report it here - https://forms.gle/MXi6SAt1jfxuq9rQ6
    studer1972 and Jesse Shaffer like this.
  2. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    This is AWESOME! I can’t wait for it to come out on iOS and Switch. And regarding the reduction of the negative chances for later levels of dark pact, THANK YOU!
    Prabdeep Bazaz and studer1972 like this.
  3. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    I absolutely love this update so far. I do have a question though. My brethren don’t seem to be capable of more than two mutations before becoming possessed. Is it possible to have more than that? I ask because the model in the announcement has four visible mutations.
  4. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    Brethren are only capable of two mutations. The image is an error on our part and will be changed soon.
    studer1972 likes this.
  5. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Will there be a way to allow warriors already turned into Possessed prior to this update a chance to get a mutation?
    Jesse Shaffer likes this.
  6. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    Can the possessed hired sword be mutated?

That would be an exceptionally strong reason to spend ££££££££ on him and you’d be giving players what they want.
  7. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I've already bought 2, so if it changes to where they can, hoping the mutations can be retrospectively added.
  8. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    Scorpion tail seems to miss about 90% of the time. Is it supposed to be like that? Does weapon skill affect it?
  9. Lord Bl00d Private

Message Count:
    Well, erm, I was really excited about this warband...
    Dark pact looked really cool, chances of Mutations, madness, possession....
    ...or death!
    Yup all I got was death. 4 attempts at dark pact, and 4 cultists dead!
    That’s the end of my warband.
    100% mortality rate from dark pact! WTF?!

The game is Difficult enough to play when most of your guys get shot down by rieklanders with 2 shot elven bows before they even get to move (how and why are they setting up in range? My warband rating isn’t even 200, how do they have 4 guys with this skill?), but the only reason to take the warband doesn’t give the fun bonuses it promised, it just straight up kills your warriors... ALL of them!!

How do I get my money back?
  10. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:

To avoid getting shot, you need to sneak. When your character is greyed, they’re invisible to others.

The Dark Pact skill definitely works. In my experience though, you should expect to loss somewhere between three and eight brethren for every one that turns possessed. If an individual brethren fails to turn possessed after the eighth time, then you get nothing which strikes me as grossly unsporting. If they’ve made it that far, shouldn’t they automatically become possessed? After a gauntlet of fire, a finish line should have a reward, not a middle finger.

A possessed without mutations is kind of a waste so, when you do get them, you’ll be better off dismissing them eventually in favor of one with the present max of two. That also means that brethren who haven’t had their first mutation by their sixth attempt should be dismissed too.

Beastmen aren’t out yet but should be soon and this implementation of the Cult of the Possessed doesn’t feel right without them. My own personal preference is to withhold judgment until I’ve had a chance to spend time with the full experience.
    studer1972 likes this.
  11. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    I'm glad this update is out and I'm doing my best to like it. I understand the Dark Pact mechanics and that it is designed to give the "chaos" feel as well as potential generate revenue. But the frustration I've experienced with it is that the pct. changes of either nothing happening or becoming a possessed is too high and getting a mutation is too low. In all my attempts so far, I've only gotten one mutation. Actually most of my brethren end up becoming Possessed which may sound like a good thing, but it happens before they get any mutation. Thus I end up dismissing and starting over again. (honestly I prefer them dying, especially if they have good stats because I could at least use Fate to try again). When I dismiss I have to wait until a brethren with good stats shows up again.

Recommendation: Please reduce the pct. changes of becoming possessed and increase the chances of getting a mutation.
    studer1972 likes this.
  12. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Or another fix is to allow Possessed to continue to use Dark Pact up to 8 times to try to get a mutation.
    studer1972 likes this.
  13. Lord Bl00d Private

Message Count:
    Sneaking, interesting. how do you propose I sneak before my characters have had a chance to act?
    In the “game” I referenced I was deployed at on edge of the cemetery and 3 rieklanders with elven bows were deployed behind the wall in front of me on higher ground. They went first as they had higher initiative and with 2 shots each too 3 of my guys out of action. Then I got my first turn. My guys were only level 2, my entire warband and all its kit cost less than 500gc yet the opposition had spent more than that on weapons, and they were armoured.
    studer1972 likes this.
  14. Lord Bl00d Private

Message Count:
    Dark pact just isn’t playable as it is.

Think about it.
    Every attempt you survive costs you a level. For that same level every other warband of the same rating has gained a skill.

For 5 levels your failing cultist is now matched up against someone with +15 strength and +9 wounds, or + 15 weapon skill and +2 attacks, or shoot twice + crossbow training + extra range + ignore cover.
    The cultist just can’t compete, and neither can your warband!

Spending a skill point to receive no skill is a hefty penalty!
    Spending a skill point to have a hero turn into a pet is even harsher.

Maybe the dark pact should consume a piece of wyrdstone, like the arcane lore skill consumes a tome of magic.
    there could be lesser mutations and greater mutations, or random mutations and chosen mutations, so the random power of chaos could give you something good or something not so good.

Are mutants a thing or is it only possessed that have access to mutations?.
    Because if the dark pact had a tiny chance to do nothing, a tiny chance to turn your cultist into a possessed, but mostly just gave them a random mutation, then it’d be pretty chaotic but actually worth attempting.
    studer1972 likes this.
  15. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    Yeah...I just assumed you meant the general case rather than move 1 turn 1. Anyway, sneaking is the general strategy and to do it well one must prioritize initiative and speed skills. Do that and your aforementioned scenario will virtually never happen. In the rare event it does, it’s incumbent upon us all to take it like grownups in PvP. Solo, however, just restart the game dude.

Mathematically, a possessed with zero mutations is ahead rather than behind—even if it took them 8 attempts to get there. I say that because it’s flatly impossible to increase your character’s stats that much by leveling normally eight times.

Lastly, I promise you that your cultists absolutely can keep up.
  16. Schmacko86 Private

Message Count:
    Mutants are kind of a thing. You can get mutated brethern but they suck because of dark pact. If you get nothing from dark pact 4 times then get two mutations you have a level 7 mutant brethern with no skills and two random mutations. That brethern will fight way below what a level 7 character from another warband. At that point you really have no choice but to use your remaing two dark pact chances to try and get a possessed. The advances from being possessed will even out the missed skills.

So unless you get mutation on the first dark pact try there's no real reason to play a straight mutant brethern, which is sad.

I really, really don't like the mecahnic. I think possessed should just be purchasable from the coven (for a reasonable price) and two random mutations could be purchased for brethern or possessed through normal skill upgrades. Dark pact should just be scrapped imo.
    studer1972 likes this.
  17. Jesse Shaffer Major

Message Count:
    I totally agree. In my experience, only about one possession in six happens after the second mutation. Most happen before the first mutation and before the fifth attempt. I think most players would probably agree that the Dark Pact would be a lot more fun if more possessions—but not all—happened after the second mutation. As to how much more, I don’t really know. My preference would be most but then maybe I’m weird. I think the devs—and players—would honestly benefit from a survey.
    studer1972 likes this.
  18. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    Thanks for the feedback in this thread. We've been noting down everyone's thoughts on this topic and we're thinking about running a poll for the Mutations system. So far the options we have are -

- More randomness to the mutation system
    - Allow Possessed access to the Dark Pact
    - Remove the Dark Pact and make the Possessed a Hiredsword

Are there any other options you would want considered?
    Jesse Shaffer and studer1972 like this.
  19. Enajien Private

Message Count:
    My top options would be:
    1) Remove Dark Pact and Hiredsword possessed. Make Mark of Chaos, Gift of Chaos, and Possessed skills purchasable. Gift of Chaos dependency on Mark of Chaos. Possessed dependency on Gift of Chaos. Gift and Mark of chaos remain a random mutation.
    2) Keep Dark Pact but change it's max buy and results. Remove Darksouls. Max rank of 5. Rank 1-2: 25% death, 25% failed, 50% mutation. Rank 3-4: 10% death, 10% failed, 50% mutation (if you have 2 mutations this becomes failed), 30% possessed. Rank 5: 100% possessed.
    studer1972 likes this.
  20. Lord Bl00d Private

Message Count:
    Definitely get rid of the dark soul option for dark pact.

Maybe death by dark pact could secure a blessing from one of the chaos gods dependent on the level of the “sacrifice”?

I like the idea of the full possessed being something you have to earn rather than something you can buy, so I too would remove it as shores sword option.

Mutants have always been a staple of all the chaos warbands. They need to be an option.

Mutants could be a low level hired sword (like the pitfighter or Pack master).
    Or
    Maybe mutants could be a standard hire option like the mercenary warbands get a random selection of warriors or marksmen the possessed could get a selection of brethren and mutants.
    Maybe when a mutant levels up you could choose to feed them wyrdstone to see if they mutate further?
    studer1972 likes this.