my tips for starters

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by NgNg, Nov 7, 2017.

1. NgNg Major

Message Count:
    Wanted to give a few of my observations on how to win at the beginning which can be hard.
    First couple turns are for maximum moves into position.
    Shooters go for clear fields of fire. Decide where your kill zone is and position your shooters accordingly. Many times i will have my shooters run, exposing their movements to draw in the enemy, while i sneak (short move) my melee units into positions screening my shooters.
    There is strength in numbers, and no area effect weapons. As far as i can see there is no harm in bunching up, only benefits.

Pause is your friend. Many times I have to pause due to deployment. Higher initiative behind later activating buddies. Once you get close pausing can give you two attacks before your opponent can move. To counter this slower units can pause as well making the higher initiative unit move first. Basically this puts the turn sequence into the proper order.

If you are facing a sneaking opponent, pause your shooters, and use a melee unit to expose the enemy by moving close. If you are close enough the system will not allow you to move to the spot of the enemy, but will allow you to move next to them. Do this, then your paused archers will be able to get a shot or 2 before they can react.

At early levels very few units if any get a free strike at opponents that leave melee. Use this to strike the unit you have the best chance of hitting, and to stop shooters from shooting.

YMMV
    Ewan Lamont and TheWizardWatley like this.
  2. Stove Private

Message Count:
    This is some solid advice my man! The only thing Id say is that with the addition of magic, one aoe attack does now exist, the fireball that warlocks can unlock. Its not a weapon, but hey. Probably not worth playing around, because Ive yet to see an ai warlock use anything besides the magic buff thing that mercs get, but you have to consider all possibilities in these mean streets!

Also, and Ive definitily seen people on either side of the fence on this argument, but new players could consider dismissing their starting captain that the game generates for them. Pre-genned captains are weak in the late game due to their 15 levels worth of unfocused stat development, and due to the way the game matches you with other warbands, you wont be immediately disadvantaged by ditching your most powerful guy early on. Doing this also helps new players learn how to coordinate their units better, because they wont have one dude whose capable of flattening everyone in the early game for them!
  3. JJSawry Private

Message Count:
    If you dismiss the captain, does anyone get their class changed from warrior/marksman to captain?
    Because otherwise you won't have magic users or market skills besides warlocks.
  4. Adam Smith Lead Programmer

Message Count:

In the event of losing your captain through dismissal or death, the warrior with the highest leadership is promoted to captain. This gives them access to the captain's leadership skill tree.