Name and Shame

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TheWizardWatley, Dec 13, 2017.

1. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    G'day,

Here's what I think we could do about the little worms who disconnect during PvP matches, or who play a stalling tactic (re Ngng's post below).

Name and shame.

If the same warbands or players keep coming up, then our mighty programmers might be able to shift them off into the purgatory server where they can't mess us about.

It's what I will be doing from now on, to any early or late game disconners.

Watley
  2. 10 Snake Gathering Private

Message Count:
    I'm personally staying away from pvp. But I have to say that if a player wants to play a stalling game, then that seems like a valid tactic. Just because you don't like it doesn't grant you some form of superiority. If it is a tactic that works for them, you have to accept it. Not every player is going to feed their warband into yours in a manner that lets you get your rocks off.

The quitter problem seems to be due to the issue that currently in the game you have to wait until your warband gets the crap kicked out of it to route, when you can often see that you are outclassed way before that point. There should be a voluntary route point that comes before your warband loses 1/2 its hit points, maybe at the 3/4 point.

In pvp, payers should only be matched against payers, unless a non payer wants to voluntarily play against a payer. The reason for this is that non payers who actually embrace the reality of death of a warband member play much differently than a payer who is willing to send war members to their deaths knowing that they can just resurrect them or heal any injury that might gain while always fighting to the death...ish.

In fact, it would not surprise me if payers who find themselves facing a Reiklander warband with no hired swords don't go "griefing" from time to time.
  3. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Mate, the entire premise of your argument, that of payers vs non payers, is absolute bollocks. Myself, I pay a little here and there, for a bit of extra fun, but I can also tell you I've taken almost two hundred deaths for just ONE warband. Arguing that players who choose to invest a bit of their own cash in the game will play differently from one who doesn't is illogical, and a little bit ignorant. I play the game the same way, fate or no, and I'm willing to bet the others who have also do. Get off your high horse.
  4. 10 Snake Gathering Private

Message Count:
    Lol. You prove my point. You "pay a little here or there". That means you ARE playing the game differently than someone who never pays and ALWAYS takes what the game deals out, NEVER paying for a do over.

No high horses, except the one that you obviously feel you are lacking. Just a simple statement of an observation.
  5. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Disrespectfully, I disagree.

Your assumption is that anyone who wants to pay to try out a warlock or a rogre is automatically now playing with a different set of tactics. It's a ludicrous statement and one that has no basis in reality, nor can be empirically demonstrated. (Tho, I'd like to see you try, mate)

You will find that tactics differ based in experience and intelligence and the players current mood. Not on cash.

As I pointed out before, on iOS you have to pay to get the game, no free downloads like with shitty androids. So, from the get go, myself and other iOS users had to pay: does that infer we already have an advantage, before we even buy any extra Fate, because we had to buy the game instead of bludge it?

I think you are just transferring frustration for your own inability to achieve a personal glory in this game onto "payers". That's pretty weak, dude.

W
    Buggritt likes this.
  6. 10 Snake Gathering Private

Message Count:
    Personal glory? Ha ha ha ha...you get personal glory from this?...it's a very obscure game that based on the forum traffic and lack of advertising is not doing very well... so sad. So sad.
  7. Jawajambalya Private

Message Count:
    I hate to admit it but i am one of those players (not intentionally) my internet sucks so sometimes i get disconnected. I agree a little with both of you i have a warband i have invested heavily in whe using them i try to use tactics that keep them from being killed rising them into a warband stacked with warriors in full plate and heavy hittters backed up by snipers and bowmen with a mage my skaven warband has no way of competing against them unless i stay behind cover and use hit and run against there heavy hitters
  8. ProtoClone Private

Message Count:
    I am one of those players who doesn't put any money into this and I can say that it does affect how I play. I am more likely to not bring the fight to an opponent but instead try to whittle them down. I will wait, keep my distance, and pick them off when I can. This is a viable tactic that works on many levels and one I will keep on using.
    I have tried to play this game as everyone run in and fight. I have lost many warbands over playing like this, so I adjusted.
    I had a full warband at one point and have lost at least four guys even though I stall. So there is a work around to the stalling tactic, playing smarter.
    The disconnecting mid fight is a problem without a doubt, and frustrating too. As someone who played a lot of PvP in MMOs and not always on the best connection, things can happen. It might not be the person doing it intentionally, it could be accidental or unavoidable. I would maybe suggest keeping track of opponents from PvP and if it happens more than once against them, start calling them out for an explanation.
  9. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Concerning the disconnecting opponents - there are 2 scenarios where this occurs
    1) After a couple rounds, when an opponent figures that he/she is going to lose and disconnects. Although not ideal, I don't have an issue with this because I can understand not wanting to waste time watching the remainder of their warband die.

2) Disconnect at the beginning of the match - I believe some players are intentionally doing this so they can then switch to an AI opponent to farm shards. This is an issue that developers need to address. I can name a couple warbands that routinely do this. They would join a game, and then at the very beginning, even before knowing the opponent would just disconnect. I know this isn't bad wi-fi because I've had the same warband disconnect at the beginning at least 3-4 times in a row and some do this daily.

In terms of stalling, it is a valid tactic. If you're the one defending the center, it can make sense to stay hidden and let the opponent come to you so you decide when and who to strike first. If you're the one attacking, it can make sense to stall to best position your warband for the ideal strike.

Addressing the payer vs non-payer comment above, Imo, pay to win currently doesn't exist in this game. Unlike other mobile games where money can significant improve your character by increasing stats, Fate does not do that. There is no way to increase stats other than building up XP and leveling up, which anyone can do so for free. Yes you can use Fate to buy those hired swords but honestly they aren't that great. To test this theory of no P2W, for the past couple weeks, I've tried 3 separate one-man warbands, a Merc, Skaven and Undead. I haven't spent a single fate on these and the first 2 are highly competitive. By competitive I mean these warbands can beat others that are almost twice their ratings.

The Undead necromancer can surprise opponents at first, but can be challenging to use if that Doom spell doesn't work. The biggest issue with the single necromancer warband is that he isn't immune to all alone tests. I've added a ghoul and this 2-man warband so far has been good. I'm sure when the Vampire comes out, single Vampire warband could be viable.
  10. nahar Private

Message Count:
    Mordheim Leader Fundation - Marienburg version. Start game and disconnected in first turn.
  11. Jesse Shaffer Corporal

Message Count:
    I’ve deliberately disconnected 4 to 5 times in PVP which probably represents somewhere around 0.5% of my total matches. In each of those instances, I knew—even before my first turn in round one—that I didn’t have a snow cone’s chance in hell of victory. I’m not interested in spending MONEY and 30 to 40 minutes of my time just to feed the ego of somebody I’ve never met.
  12. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Just a suggestion to address the second point I made above for warbands who consistently disconnect at the very beginning of the match to farm shards, to discourage this practice, why not add a 15 - 20 minute delay timer that will prevent that warband from re-entering the PVP queue and also have all shards removed from the map whenever you disconnect and switch to AI opponent?
  13. Ewan Lamont
    Administrator

Message Count:
    If you disconnect you don't get any shards and if there is a big rating difference there is a much-reduced chance of getting injured, no chance of dying and you get a big xp payout. I'm open to other ideas as to what we can do here.
  14. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    That’s not entirely true. If you disconnect because you force close the app then it’s like you said above. But if you lose connection you willing get a message ‘switching to AI opponent’. So then it becomes easier to farm shards as they are more common in pvp maps. I discovered this accidentally when I received a phone call during a pvp match. When I returned it said connection lost switching to AI.

This is what I think those farmers are doing. Why else would they keep joining a pvp match only to disconnect at the very beginning?