New Features for Year 0

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Jemma, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Jemma Corporal

Message Count:
    Over the last few days everyone's been working on Year 0 and several new features are being pushed out over the next few days.

I'll make threads for each of the new features soon and go into more detail, but for now I'll give a small overview of what you can expect if you start up a new game within the next week or so!

New Features will include:

• A new larger starting map, which will enable our new multi-player campaign system
    • 3D Battles. A whole new aspect to the game!
    • An updated energy system allowing you to use energy for free but limiting movement
    • New buildings that you can build
    • Social aspects of the game. Your friends can now help you take control of territories and fend off invaders
    It would be great if you guys could take a look at the game and focus specifically on these things so we know they work properly and we can be alerted to any bugs or problems as soon as possible.
    Also, suggestions and thoughts are always welcome!
    :cool:
  2. Nic Corporal

Message Count:
    Hi. Love the bigger map, also the assisting of friends is really great new aspect, helped out someone yesterday and it worked really well, can also see how this will bring in multi-player options which is very exciting

Energy, like the idea but its extremely limiting. I only have enough energy to fight one battle at a time, I have 38 energy units which on fighting a small battle I only just had enough. Get the fact that you can renew energy and this will slow things down, but think it is a massive reduction in the game. I really liked the fact that I could be using four or five maps at the same time with units deployed, the energy restriction completely stops this.

If you are going to include energy, please increase the energy, or maybe use energy as a time thing, maybe one energy bar gives you 5 minutes in maps, so you can quickly flip between multiple maps, if that is the case would suggest changing energy to a timer instead.

With the multi-player aspect this restriction will have a big impact, if you have defend your own base with all your energy you would then not assist.

Really looking forward to the building aspect

Also please be aware I think with the increased quality of the graphics the game is running a lot slower. It hardly moves on an IPad and seems a bit clunky on a PC. Is it worth considering a mobile version designed around a smart phone, at the moment you only see a very small bit of the map, mayb have the option to switch to top view?

Hope this helps
  3. Gavin Rummery
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Hi Nic, thanks for the feedback. The new energy system is a bit experimental!

We decided the 5 minutes per turn thing when your enemy was offline was a bit dull, but equally the timer was there to slow you down from just being able to blitzkrieg people when they were offline. So the idea with the energy is that it allows you to take your turns more quickly, but you'll eventually run out and have to wait for it to replenish, so your opponent has a chance to come online and send in reinforcements.

It also makes the game more tactical, because only units that move use energy, so you can choose to leave some in defensive positions while you scout ahead. And it also allows you the flexibility to spend energy to speed up builds/repairs and deployment.

Note that some maps now give you an energy bonus when taken, and also one of the new buildings will be an energy generator.

But we agree we may have set the limit too low, so feedback like this is very useful!
  4. Nic Corporal

Message Count:
    Gavin,

Thanks for the reply, defiantly get the idea over blitzkrieg, didn't event think of that tactic....... Oh well.

Have set up a thread on the bugs and suggestions page re this, sorry to duplicate, thought it would be helpful to have an energy debate to see how others are getting on, do you want me to close that down or is it worth posting this on the other thread as well
  5. Nic Corporal

Message Count:
    PS completely agree about the 5min thing, that was a real bore, much better now

Noticed when someone is not on line the units patrol around the screen. Can I suggest adding a defend option so the troops stay where they are and attack anything that comes into range

That said, with artillery do they automatically attack any enemy that comes into range?
  6. Gavin Rummery
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Actually the units do mostly stay put if they are in cover, especially if they are hidden. If you leave them in the open they will move about and hide if they can. Apart from helicopters; they whizz about all over the place. And yes, they will attack the enemy when you are offline, so it is worth leaving a few defenders, and hidden artillery are particularly dangerous especially when accompanied by a unit to defend them!

And no problem about starting a separate thread on energy usage, that is fine!
  7. Nic Corporal

Message Count:
    In relation to the map though, is it just the outer territories that could be attacked or can one in the middle of your controlled area be attacked. Was wondering if there is any point in leaving defenders in he central territories
  8. Gavin Rummery
    Administrator

Message Count:
    Outer maps are vuneralble to counter-attacks by enemy players. But Marauders are roaming the countryside and can attack anywhere if they see a good opportunity!
  9. Nic Corporal

Message Count:
    Just found this, had two of my central territories attacked at the same time!!!

Thanks for the info