New in game, i have questions.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Íñigo Montoya, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Íñigo Montoya Private

Message Count:
    Hi all!

I bought this game but need some help, pls:
    Wich advantages have each band? There are one of them clearly best than others or game is well balanced?
    I have Reikland, Marienburg and Witch Hunters, wich of them would be better for a "shot" style band? Is this style possible? How could i do a band based on shots?
    Wich skills are better for the captain? OMG, i need really help! Jajaja. I dont see official guides or much help in the forum :( Any guide of each band?
    I see nobody uses 2 hands weapons, are they poor?
    Ah, and the last one: How can i delete a band? I can only have 3 of them and i need slots. thanks!

Thanks all and happy new year
  2. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    If you just want to be a good shot as quickly as possible, and have the most options, then Marienburg is probably best for you.

The three weabands you have all get the same shooting skills, but Marienburg and Witch Hunters also get the speed skills Ambush and Dodge which can give you an extra shot if you are hiding, and make you harder to shoot at so you can live longer against other shooting warbands. The Marienburgers start with a few more helpful levels on their Marksman, and have access to more weapon choices than the Witch Hunters, which is why I think they will be a little bit better for you.

The advantage of the Reiklanders and Witch Hunters run a little bit away from shooting. Reikland gets strength skills to make them better at melee, and witch hunters have more build choices to individualize your guys (like switch to melee and give up shooting, or get dogs).

But if all you want to do is be a really good shot as quickly as possible then Marienburg is probably the best choice.

The bands are pretty well balanced, but small differences can change your strategy a lot, so try them all, and see what is comfortable for you. For a lot of players one strategy or another just doesn't make sense, so they will tell you that one warband is worse than another, but everyone has different opinions.

To "delete" a band, from the main menu click on "Load Warband" if you are playing on the English version of the game, tap on the warband you want to delete, and then press the "Archive" button at the bottom right. This will clear a space on your device and let you make a new warband. The warband will not be "deleted" though, you should still be able to access it again by tapping on an "Empty Slot" and choosing "download" from the bottom, instead of "New."

Two handed weapons are good, but they take more skills to use well, so you will see them more in higher level warbands. Also they require some Strength skills and some Combat skills, so you won't see them much in warbands that can't get both. Marienburg for example is not good at two handed weapons.

I hope that helps. I can't really tell you which skills are right for your captain, lots of people play lots of different ways, so try different things and see what works for you. One popular choice is that if you are playing Marienburg or Reikland your captain can learn to be a spell caster. Another popular choice is that your captain has access to all the skills, so choose the ones that the rest of your warband can't. That would be Strength for Marienburg, or Speed for Reikland.
  3. Íñigo Montoya Private

Message Count:
    Wow, thank you very much. You helped me so much.

Im going to use Marienburg band finally. For their shoters, which could be the best weapon to use? Pistols, handcossbows, crossbow, rifles?
    I suposse i must buy ogres ASAP.
    For my captain, what is better, dual pistols or dual hand crossbows?
    Thanks!!
  4. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    Marienburg cannot use dual hand crossbows, that is a witch hunter only build. So go with blackpowder pistols, they are plenty good.

As to which weapons to use on your marksman, you probably want either the Hochland Longrifle, or the Elf Bow.

I personally prefer Pit Fighters to Ogres, but both are good. Ogres have more strength, wounds, and movement, but Pit Fighters get Speed skills, which I like a lot.
    Íñigo Montoya likes this.
  5. Algirdas25 Corporal

Message Count:
    Have very good build for cap
    Max out weapons skill set (weapon skill to 6, attack to 2, strike to injure, web of steal, advanced weapons master, sword master, avoid injury, shooting ( black powder, so hunter, blackpowder master, double shot, shooting skill 6 itd) or use of hand item that give your 12 parry
    Leadership (spells tree and buff leadership) str (all but pit, bull at end) speed (recovery and dodge) spells unlock all by books and then max out flame sword
    Get visored ⛑, gromil armor, rest is your choice
    In fight get flame sword and enjoy killing everything that moves
  6. FlaminGallahs2089 Major

Message Count:
    I know this is like the oppiset of the spectrum, I have been playing for a while now.
    I only have undead and reikland unlocked, for undead I have just grinded to getting two ogres and a vamp, though now a full 8 warband (kinda using one ghoul as cannon fodder till he dies to make a spot for something that I havent decided yet)
    First question,
    For undead what should I focus on,
    I will have Vamp, Necro, 2 ghouls, dreg, 2 ogres, what should I get to complete warband?

Second I have found myself b9red with reikland, and dont use them at all anymore,
    I want to I just find them to tedious, so my question is,
    Does anyone know a way to spice up the reiklander warband?
  7. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    If i had to point at something you are missing in your undead band, I'd say a warlock. Get some fireballs and some silver arrows of arrah, give yourself some ranged support.

As to the reiklanders...Not sure what you think is fun exactly...but halflings hired swords are in testing right now, if you just want something different they will be out soon.
  8. FlaminGallahs2089 Major

Message Count:
    Okay I will grab a warlock once I got the funds (turns out if no one has armour the game becomes alot more harder after warband rating 1000)

I am not exactly sure what I find fun,
    I have always enjoyed one man killing machines (why undead speaks to me),
    But I also love the whole idea of tactically setting up troops and setting ambushes,
    Love the swarm technique also.

What I do not enjoy at all, the lower levels of reiklanders, to much grinding to any position and it always feels far away, then once you do reach higher levels, where to from there?
    Max the warband out with ogres?
    Go full range?
    Dabble in magic,
    All requires alot of grinding that has soured as I have used them so much.
    Any idea how to spice it up, or should I just save up some fate and get a new faction, therefore just moving on from them for a while?
  9. Algirdas25 Corporal

Message Count:
    Well for reikland i use Armored spellcarster (cap, but he is also a warrior hence level 50), 3 hybrid marksmen hochland long rifle with with ithilmar sword, gromil axe and skull hammer, ogre and pit fighter, and it work
  10. Íñigo Montoya Private

Message Count:
    Hi all!

I have some questions.

Handguns in close combat impact by BS or WS?
    Some skills (quick reflexes or something like that) let you do atacks when an enemy flee from you or charge to you: If you hace 2 handguns the atack is a shot or a normal hit?
    Is obvius that my captain uses 2 handguns? ^_^

Algirdas25, i dont understand the build of your captain. With weapons do you use? it seems like a shoter build but with mele skills... And..."3 hybrid marksmen hochland long rifle with with ithilmar sword, gromil axe and skull hammer" Ey! A marksmen can have 2 weapons and a big gun equiped???? How??? Could be better use handgun and mele weapon?

thanks!!!
  11. Algirdas25 Corporal

Message Count:
    3 hybrid marksman, one have ithilmar sword, second have gromil axe, third have skull Hamer rest of their eguiment is same for all of them

Well my cap is melee fighter with pistol who also is spellcarster with max out flame sword skill - so making Him a walking kiling machine
    (3 Melee attack + 1 from combat master + one from flame sword + 2 shot from pistol ( one normal second from Doble shoot skill (summary 5 attack + 2 shots ) eguiment is will of rod, gromil armor, visored helmet and pistol
    When in fight i cast flame sword - will of rod is replaced with sword that give you 1 attack 20 weapon skill and 20 str
    Íñigo Montoya likes this.
  12. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    From my experience, if you want a competitive warband, all of them can be balanced...in a way. Here's what I mean:

Reiklanders: 1 Cap - with Flight spell maxed, 3 marksmen, 4 ogres - (there is not much point in hiring warriors as Ogres are much better at melee unless you wish to max out the warrior's BS and give him a sniper rifle)
    Marienburg: 1 Cap - with Flight spell maxed, 3 marksmen, 4 ogres (No point in hiring warrior. Yes you can get speed skills, but they lack strength skills so go with Ogres)
    Middenheimer: 1 Cap - with Flight spell maxed, 3 warriors, and your choice combination of Ogres and/or warriors. These guys can get both Strength and Speed skills so it's personal preference. I'll go into this more later.
    Undead: Vampire, Necromancer, 1 Ghoul, 2 Dregs, 3 Ogres (easy choice. No point in hiring additional dregs as they have same skills as Ogre but less stats)
    Skaven: Assassin, Sorcerer, 6 Warriors - Give everyone Infiltrate skill and max out dual warlock pistols.
    Witchhunter: Captain, 3 templars set with sniper rifles, 3 ogres, warrior priest

You can see a theme here but all of these would be competitive with each other. There could be a debate between Ogre vs Pit Fighter/Middenheim warrior (essentially the same as a pitfighter). At first my opinion could go either way as the Pit fighter/Middenheimr can hide and avoid stuns. But with the recent addition of lanterns and ability to spot hidden targets easier, I believe the Ogre is a better option. Here's why:

1) Comparing one at equal level, the Ogre has a 6 movement, so he can charge first and if maxed out can kill a warrior in one round with its 4 attacks. A common tactic would be to use a warrior with lantern to identify foes and then charge in with Ogres.
    2) The Ogre also has way more wounds when maxed out so don't worry too much about the lack of stun avoidance. Stun avoidance does nothing if you get killed that first round. Plus if you run Ogres with a warrior priest, they can heal stuns conditions

Equipment: For the above warbands, weapon-wise equip warriros with Comet Hammers or if you want a pistol use a Skull Hammer, Marksmen with Hochland Rifles w/Sight; and Ogres with the Maul. Skaven - Dual warlock pistols
  13. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    If we're really talking about min/maxing warbands, then don't you want at least one Packmaster in the skaven? so the rats will be better controlled? they are otherwise the same as warriors aren't they? And you get the rats for free with the sorc.
  14. Íñigo Montoya Private

Message Count:
    Wow, awesome answer, thanks!

What builds (skill and)stats with each band member? And with Witch Hunters what is the best?
  15. FlaminGallahs2089 Major

Message Count:
    I personally beleive Undead can be solid without 3 ogres.
    I aint in late game yet but been running
    Vamp, necro, 2 ghouls, 1 dreg, 2 ogres, and eventually 1 warlock (or the eventual thrall).

My main strategy is the vamp and ogres sneak forward save up two turns and then mush the enemies infantry (other than middenheimers, which I always make sure that everyone attacks at once)
    This creates a strong front line of sorts, with my Dreg and ghouls only 1 turn away (though not visable), as such when gaps appear they can be filled, and better match ups for my warriors found.
    The necro goes around being annoying as hell with doom and stealing wounds.
    Zombies occasionally littered in for a bit more annoyance once I saved em up naturally.
    Warlock is a jack of all trades, can be quick and pack a punch or shoot from afar, can slightly buff troops or send a fireball.

Hoping for the eventual inclusion of females and as such thrall.
    They will add a nice sneakiness, that allows them and the vamp to move around tne map hidden picking targets.

Overall with undead because some troops are weak as hell, and others strong as hell, so I use the strong to hold as their matchups dont matter as largely, and use the weaker units as efficently as possible.
  16. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Concerning the Skaven Packmaster, I've never personally found a viable strategy using rats in PVP. Good opponents will just ignore them and the Packmaster's combat ability is somewhat lacking compared to the dual warp pistols. But I'm open to learning new tactics that work with a rat swarm.

To answer the question of builds and stats, I generally level up these in priority:

Captain: WS, Attacks, Hide skill, Strength, Wounds, Sprint, Advanced Weapons Maser or Weapon Master (depending if you plan to equip Skull Hammer or Comet Maul), Skill that doubles your spotting ability, Initiative - You will need one model do the killing at the beginning so let it be your captain.

Shooting Models: BlackPowder Mastery, Skill that allows you to fire every turn, BS, Skill that lets you fire twice, Hide skill, Initiative

Ogres: WS, Attacks, Strength, Wounds, BullCharge, Strike to Injure

I know attacks will bump up your rating, but if you can't kill anything, you won't level up. Bull Charge and Strike to injure will also significant increase your rating to wait until you max out the others before getting these. A good way to level is to hold off on spending your Skill point increases until you can increase synergistic skills together. For example, if you save up 6 level up points, you can max out your Strength and Wounds together, or you could do 2 at a time where you can level up Strength and Wounds together. Also investing in Speed skills will have little impact on rating but will be valuable in the long run.