New Player's Questions

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Woat, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Woat Private

Message Count:
    Hi, I’m a new player with questions that I hope someone can help with. I’m currently playing Witch Hunters.

1. When may I recruit a Warrior Pries an Ogre or a Pit Fighter?
    2. Is there a point in keeping shards instead of selling them?
    3. What does the number in brackets mean? For example a Gromril Axe’s critical hit is +20% (+30%)
    4. Is it better to keep a small elite group or to grow the warband as quickly as possible?
    5. Any tips to keeping ratings low but not weakening the band too much?
    6. Will it effect my progress if I do not open up the mission’s new areas? Do the areas give out more shards?

Thank you.
  2. Double Misfire Private

Message Count:
    Hi Woat, welcome to the forums. There are probably more qualified people to answer your questions than me, but I'll give them a shot. :)

Up to four hired swords (special warriors like the three you've mentioned, who can be bought for fate or a large sum of gold), can be included in a warband and they're usually only appear available for hire once you've got at least four members in your warband, and will appear more frequently the larger your warband is.

Shards sold in different amounts will go for more or less gold. Single shards always sell for the most, and after that if I remember correctly it's shards sold in multiples of seven for evem numbered warbands and multiples of 10 for odd numbered ones, meaning it's best to only sell a single shard after each battle and then stockpile the rest to sell in sevens and 10s when you know you want to start saving for something.

The numbers in brackets are the weapons' stats when wielded by a warrior with mastery (two points) in the relevant weapon training skill, so a Gromril Axe has a +20% critical hit chance without mastery and a 30% critical hit chance with.

Totally depends on how you like it play. Inexperienced warriors will have a hard time catching up in a high level warband if you don't go out of your way to let them farm killshots on badly wounded high level enemies.

Don't get anyone's defence past 40, Comet Mauls are in vogue at the moment and don't allow a higher defence stat against them. The Warrior Priest once he's got his armour prayer, and if you're playing against AI/careful most long ranged warriors are safe forgoing armour entirely.

Anything that boosts attacks (including skills like Combat Master and Rapid Shot) is a surefire way to send your reputation through the roof, so only give extra attacks to warriors who need them if you're worried about getting a high rep.

Not hugely, though it will impact the variety of maps you'll visit, and the loot you're able to pick up on the battlefield. I think the campaign missions usually give you a couple of extra pieces of wyrdstone for completing them, and are often against AI opponents with a rating higher than yours enough to give you an underdog xp bonus and reduced chance of death or injury facing them.

Hope this helps, if anyone is able to correct me please do. :D
    Amaan Shawkath likes this.
  3. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    Double Misfire is pretty on target (pun intended), just a couple things to add:

1. There is a formula to how many and when hired swords are available. If you have less than 4 regular guys, no hired swords in the tavern ("shrine" for witch hunters). If you have 4 regular members, you get 1 hired swords, if you have 5 regulars, 2 hired swords, 6 -> 3, 7 -> 4. Other hired swords do not count towards your number of regular guys for how many new hired swords are visible in the tavern. You can never have more than 7 regular guys, the 8th slot always has to be filled with a hired sword.

4. If you want to keep your rating down, and still have an easy time winning, you'll likely do better with more low level guys than a few high level guys. Two guys with one attack each has more health, and a lower rating, than one guy with two attacks, for example. The flip side is that two guys earning experience will make your rating go up faster than one guy earning experience. But the ratings keep things pretty balanced, so it's mostly personal preference.

5. In addition to combat master and rapid shot, also avoid Unstoppable Charge to keep your rating down. Also the Gromril Great Sword, and the Hochland Rifle have extremely high ratings, so avoid those two pieces of gear.
  4. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    The above responses are good advice. Just to add

for #4, depending on how you like to play, a single high level warrior is more powerful than multiple lower level warriors (unlike the TT version. Some players have fun with the single warrior warband (especially the Merc captain when you get the Flight spell). However, in the long term, at high levels, full warbands are the way to go so I'd recommend building towards that if you plan to build up to high ratings. If you like to play competitively, just add 3-4 ogres and level them up. The way the game is set-up today, 3-4 ogres makes any warband competitive and are easy to level up quick at lower levels. A trick would be to get 4 warriors, hire 4 ogres and work on levelling up your captain and the 4 ogres. Let the other 3 warriors remain unequipped so they don't impact your rating much and don't level them up.

for #5, a good way to progress in managing a low rating would be to hold off on cashing in your level points. Only do so for certain members and certain skills mentioned above. This allows you to then farm weaker warbands match ups to level up. Or focus on upping Speed skills such as Sprint, Hide, Perception as these will be valuable in the long run but have little impact on your warband rating.
  5. Woat Private

Message Count:
    Thank you all for your patience in answering my questions and giving helpful advice!

Is there anyone else who has access to Academic skills like Wyrdstone Hunter and Streetwise apart from my Captain? I would prefer some other members to spend points on these skills rather than him.
  6. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    Most spellcasters do. The warrior priest if you are witch hunters. Warlocks or sorcerers otherwise.
  7. Woat Private

Message Count:
    Thank you Trapsinger.

I have an even numbered war band and tried selling shards in both 7s and 10s but there seems to be no difference from other amounts. The maximum number I tried was 20 shards. Did I misread or miss a step?