Odds of dieing?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by etherkye, May 29, 2017.

1. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Just had 2 people in a row die on me, which brings my total dead in 24 hours to I believe 9. I've also had 4 robberies, 2 broken legs, a blinded eye, 2 serious wounds, and about 4 light wounds.

The rates of death seam to be horrible high in this game.

Is anyone else finding this to be the case?
  2. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Take that 11 dead, that warband had to be deleted as both the ones with armour died at the same time, one being my leader.

I've had no damages since then, just 4 injuries which caused me to miss games.

For some reason on the end of game screen it said he was level 8 as well.
  3. Abides Private

Message Count:
    That's Mordheim. The hiring/ dying/injury table was a big part of the game.
  4. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Yes but on the hero's it was a 1 in 6 chance of death, and at the moment it looks to me closer to a 1 in 3. The odds of losing half your warband in a single game is far to high.

Also in the original Mordheim most of your units where groups, of which you leveled up as a group, and when one died you could just pay to replace him at the level of the rest.

In the app when one dies you have to pay a huge fee to replace them, and then another fee to equipt them with anything but a dagger.

There's a big different between always paying 25 gold for a warrior or 35 for a swordsman, when you would get on average 60-70 gold for 3 shards, and paying 100 gold for a 4th warrior with no kit when you get 23-39 gold for 1-3 shards.

It's much harder to recover with more expensive troops and less income.
  5. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    I don't have (but would be interested in) injury chance rolls for units taken out of action. Of course, the strongest prevention is keep your units form going out of action, but we all know how that goes when you're actually out there in the field... One thing I can say is that your chance to actually die is slightly graded on a curve is you're matched against a stronger opponent (as based on warband rating). Again on that I don't have, but would be interested in, the numbers/cutoffs.

Failing the direct values from the devs, it would be interesting to catalog our injury rates together as a community in a shared google doc or something like that to figure out these percentages ourselves. :)
  6. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    Ah, yes! I'd forgotten that you can pay a premium to hire at the current XP level on the tabletop! I think part of the trade-off or balance here is that when a unit dies, your rating drops, so it's hard to recover, but you're also receiving easier matches as a result of having lost that experience from the band (not that that softens the blow at all ;-; )
  7. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Well your rating should be based on the levels of your warband, and it's gear. Which should technically make negative ratings impossible, which we know isn't true.

I think the biggest difference is that in normal Mordheim you don't get a message in front of you from Games Workshop telling you to pay money if you don't want this result...
    REkzkaRZ likes this.
  8. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:
    I think the rating is normalized to a starting warband, so if you drop your leader at the start, you're actually slightly behind the baseline. This could be easily fixed by calling a zero warrior, zero XP warband the baseline so that all ratings come out positive. I suspect that should be easy-ish to sort out (but I'm also no game dev!)?

As for the fate-to-recover mechanic, I suppose one could always just play it ironman mode where you accept the result as it is. I also understand that getting the pop-up and choosing to ignore it every time is a feelbad. Do you think having a check box to never ask you to re-roll an injury might make it feel any better? Perhaps a click here to enable ironman mode, and never prompt to negate injuries? Open to your thoughts (though as mentioned elsewhere, I'm not a dev, just an enthusiastic player).
  9. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    I'm not sure. Maybe if you could get the fatepoints in game by winning certain missions it might take it suck less.

I paid money for the game itself, so being told to pay again if I want to keep my person alive is really annoying. It just makes the deaths seam like they happen a lot more often.
  10. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:

Understood. I think a "get a fate point every X matches" would be the addition I'm rooting for, at least. In the meantime, thoughts and suggestions are welcome I'm sure!
  11. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    I think we need a mission where you need to collect items and get them back to your side. Less of just killing everyone and more of running forward and then trying to get back in one piece.

Could have a chance of the item you pick up being a fate counter!
  12. morjax YouTuber & Moderator

Message Count:

Like a low chance to drop fate tokens in a crate? I think it would have to be sufficiently low that you couldn't cheese it too terribly easily, but I could see that being viable as well.

I recall in Diablo 3 at one point, there was a pity drop for legendaries that if you'd not gotten one after so and so much time, your chances began to rise notably. Perhaps the same with tokens? There's a rather low chance of getting tokens in a crate, and the chance goes up as you pick up more crates until you get one, then the chances reset back down again?
  13. etherkye Major

Message Count:
    Well an average of 2-3 a day would be fine. At the normal rate of death it wouldn't stop all that much :p

Also with the henchmen in the tavern a few tokens would slowly enable warbands that play often to purchase one or two each.

But also, missions where you have to locate objects could have a maximum limit on how often they appear in the list to put a hard cap on the daily amount.