Offensive Content Detector

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TheWizardWatley, Sep 26, 2017.

1. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    I've had a bit of difficulty with this offensive content detector, not in that I want to call my warriors rude words, but in that it has picked out some strange things to be considered as offensive. Cummerbund, which is an article of clothing, was flagged as offensive, yet cucumber, which contains the three letters I assume were the cause of the flag, is ok. Fetta, which is how we spell the cheese feta, is also apparently offensive. Prince, the most traditional term for a European ruler in the late Middle Ages and renaissance period, is also somehow offensive. Most recently I tried to name my marienburgher captain 'chief stylist' and that too was flagged.

Now, ive encountered quite a few different crews now who have names using umlauts or that are quite simply pretty crude. Now don't get me wrong, I am not bothered by that, personally I am amused by such antics, but I do wonder why cheese, a fancy sash for a tuxedo, a vegetable and a traditional title are offensive. Maybe chief stylist could be a little edgy, considering the mockery the marienburghers get for being a bunch of fancy pants, but that's gotta be a call made by a human, not a machine.

It's really all just a bit crazy.

Two groats, here you go.... Watley
    Buggritt likes this.
  2. Overwatch Community Manager

Message Count:
    Hey, Watley,

That's very strange that those words are being picked up as offensive material. We have a profanity filter in place which tries to filter out all of the bad words that people submit, whether we can configure this or not I'm unsure of, but it's definitely worth mentioning to Adam.

If you do spot any Warbands that have offensive names though please do make us aware of this. We can go in manually and sort this out and have done in the past!
  3. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    Yeah, probably best not to leave them running loose. I'll bring it to your attention if I meet one.
    Overwatch likes this.
  4. Adam Smith Lead Programmer

Message Count:
    Just so you know, this is why the various words you've supplied have hit the filters:

Cummerbund - flagged by the "cum" filter
    Fetta - caught by the German filter for "fett" meaning fat
    Prince - disallowed by the names list
    Chief - disallowed by the names list

Now, this part of our engine is provided by a third party library. We're still using the provided lists. I'll look at modifying some of the rules. Particularly the names list, cuz I don't see a problem with those!
    TheWizardWatley and Overwatch like this.
  5. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    This world of offensive words is just crazy
  6. Raptor Private

Message Count:
    Yeah I was a bit taken back by the offensive language filter too.
    Eisenfresser means iron eater and is actually quite a big compliment. But due to fresser I guess... fat shaming filter?
    Then I tried to name my crew Killers, Killaz, Killas, and a number of variations which were banned for reasons I can only speculate about.
    But Corpsegrinder was perfectly okay.

I have to admit I haven't the foggiest how to code a offensive language filter at all though.
    TheWizardWatley likes this.
  7. TheWizardWatley Major

Message Count:
    It would probably be best for all if the the coding of the offensive language detector went a little like this:

Input: offensive term
    Output: offensive term plus bag of cement or other hardening up devices (see image)
    Result: grown up communication wherein a little offense is mocked and we all get on with it.

IMG_0490.JPG
  8. Buggritt Major

Message Count:
    Language filtering is difficult. I heard of a company in Scunthorpe who had one applied to their email system, each address ended in @company.scunthorpe.co.uk and suddenly nobody could send emails.
    morjax and TheWizardWatley like this.