Ogres Arrive!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Prabdeep Bazaz, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    ogre-image5.png
    Following on from the equipment teaser in the last release Ogres are now available to hire. Large, brutish creatures, standing some ten feet tall they are much in demand as bodyguards and mercenaries, despite their lack of brains. A warband backed up by an Ogre makes a fearsome enemy and they happily accept any employer, as they are notoriously unbothered about who they fight for.
    Head over to the appstore right now to download the latest update which also includes load time optimisations http://onelink.to/75hkpy!
    CuliDuri and Amaan Shawkath like this.
  2. CuliDuri Corporal

Message Count:
    What about the requirements needed to hire one? (Or more)
  3. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    As with any other Hiredsword, you need a minimum of 4 warband members. Ogres won't work for Skaven. There is no cap on how many Ogres you can have in your warband.
    CuliDuri likes this.
  4. CuliDuri Corporal

Message Count:
    And they can be equipped only with ogre's items?
  5. Amaan Shawkath Quality Assurance

Message Count:
    Yes. They can only be equipped with Ogre specific items.
  6. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Excited to try out the Ogres. However, for established warbands, this means having to dismiss a current warrior in order to make room. Could we ask that serious consideration to add the "benching" options mentioned in another thread be implemented? I understand this may require significant programming but adding this in the next update would be much appreciated. For my main warband, I'd have to dismiss a lvl 19 warrior that I've spent time to level up in order to add an Ogre.
  7. _Q_ Corporal

Message Count:
    I'm not in favour of "benching" - being able to select your best team according to scenario/opposition would detract from the warband design element of the game. In both this and the table-top version the aim is to build a warband that can take on all comers. I've replaced a level 20 warlock with an ogre in one of my Reikland warbands because I reckon in the long run it'll benefit from the extra hittiness, but doubt I'll do so in the other as it has a different playstyle. If you want an ogre but don't want to tinker with an existing set up, create a new warband.
    Deadhiel and Amaan Shawkath like this.
  8. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Scenarios are random so it’s not matter if modify the warband to fit the scenario. I’m thinking more long term as new hires swords get added such as the elf archer, haling cook, etc. so each time players would have to abandon a warrior that they worked hard to level to fit these into existing warbands? Also the flexibility let’s players change the play style of their warband to keep things from becoming stale. For my main warband, I see the same AI opponents over and over again. PVP is almost nonexistent because it’s hard to find an opponent. So just trying to keep interest in playing that warband.

By the way, yes I have been trying the ogres in my new warband. Pretty fun so far

Attached Files:

9. FlaminGallahs2089 Corporal

Message Count:
    I really want benching also tbh, like maybe being able to have 12 or so members but always benching a couple since max is 8 (would make sense to as a warband would get bigger they would have reserve warriors).
    Itd be alot better for my OCD when I can have my 3 marksmen, 2 warriors, Leader and 1 of each hired sword in a team and test out different combos.
    Even if its just 2 extra spots, or you can 'release' a guy to the tavern where he hangs around, and he will be recruitable from there, for like a price, but he still is available again when you want him instead of getting rid of him forever.
  10. Auretious Taak Corporal

Message Count:
    Having played Mordheim since it was first released 2 decades ago, I love that Ogres are finally here. However,w hatI hate is that you have taken the current design look of the Gut Busters or whatever the Ogres of current WHFB Lore depict, whereas thOgres of the Mordheim era, especially being 500 years before the warhammersetting at the time of release, were in the older, classic style.

Edit: I've no idea what your license with GW supports, I'm just set in myw ays and my love for one of GW's best tabletop games systems - 1 edition unchanged for so long with only a handful of balance issues that pretty much everyone agrees with worldwide (armour, parrying needs to be adjusted and 2 single handed weapons are too powerful) and are houseruled various ways to fix them, but also witha very strong and flavourful background and depiction of the world at the time. The Ogres were the equivalent of Maneaters these days but they also weren't the overweight belly centric we worship a god of all devouring fatness which they are these days. Ogre in Warband Skirmish looks good play wise, so excited to see how it pans out long term.[IMG]
    Cypher likes this.
  11. Cypher Corporal

Message Count:
    Seconded. I am not overly found of the "great maw" Mongol, Turkic themed Ogres introduced into the lore. I much rather prefer our "classic" Ogres, especially of the first to third edditions of WFB. Also would love if the Ogres could have more human looking weapons or those that look as if they just tore a support beam from a builingband stuck some swords or daggers through it for an impromptu club more akin to the older models.
  12. Shangular Major

Message Count:
    Agree, I think the mordheim version fits better than the fantasy battle/age of Sigmar ogres which the ogres seem to be based on. However the full plate armor seems to fit with the Mordheim theme.

I know that other warriors are also based on the age of Sigmar version. For example the Necromancer with the necrarch robes, or the Vampire in vampiric armor looking like blood dragons or the Middenheimers in Gromil armor which look like the teotogen guards and more polished than typical Mordheim mercenaries. But these 3 examples do look cool so I can live with it.
  13. Cypher Corporal

Message Count:
    Are there Ogre firearms? I saw that they can train in Blackpowder weapons but I have never seen any Ogre firearms o date.
  14. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    Ogres can have a pistol if they have the blackpowder skill
  15. Cypher Corporal

Message Count:
    They buy regular pistols? Or there is something called "Ogre Pistol" ? I have not yet seen an Ogre version of a pistol.
  16. _Q_ Corporal

Message Count:

Agree with your point, plus that's a great paint job.
  17. Prabdeep Bazaz Social Media Manager

Message Count:
    Ogres use an "Ogre Pistol" and can be bought from the store. If you're not seeing it yet, it will show up at random.
  18. Cypher Corporal

Message Count:
    Ranald has not favoured my acquisitions then. Have to keep an eye out for one.
    Prabdeep Bazaz likes this.
  19. nahar Private

Message Count:
    Why Ogre cant use Superior Blacpowder?
    And my Ogre has pistol (just "pistol").
  20. CuliDuri Corporal

Message Count:
    So, undead can play Vampire and ALSO ogre??