Parry symbol

Discussion in 'Bugs / Suggestions / Support' started by Sean, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Sean Private

Message Count:
    I believe that the game originally had a symbol, displayed next to the damage amount; which was two crossed swords when a blow was parried. Is this still the case, or was it replaced with the shield icon?

The reason I ask, I have a warband member with an Ithilmar sword, pit fighters gauntlet and the parrying skill. In total, this should give over 50% chance of a parry, but I'm definitely not seeing the parry symbol anywhere near that frequently! Could there be a bug in the parry code, or, (more likely) is it not as simple as this?
  2. Trapsinger Brigadier

Message Count:
    I actually stopped using parry for the most part because even with a very high chance it seems to not work very well. More over, I'm starting to notice that several listed % chances seem to be wrong. The leadership check on maintaining priest spells for example, my leadership is over 90, so a successfully cast spell should on average last 9 turns, but I'm generally seeing them last only 1 or 2, and never more than 3. So I think maybe the odds on that are inverted? I'm wondering if parry has always been unreliable for a similar reason.

Another thing I've noticed about parry is that it seems to be more likely to trigger against a crit, have you noticed that? I wonder if the parry calculation is taking place in the wrong part of the damage calculation rolls? Like maybe you only get your full chance to parry after someone crits you?
  3. Sean Private

Message Count:
    Thanks for confirming it's not my misunderstanding, Trapsinger:)
    Maybe one of the Devs can investigate if Parry is bugged like you suggest?
  4. Oscar Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    I'll check out the parry to make sure that is triggering correctly and it is also possible that the shield icon is being displayed occasionally when an attack is parried rather than the parry icon
  5. Oscar Junior Programmer

Message Count:
    So I checked this out and found that the chances are correct but the parry icon is not always being displayed. Currently there seems to be a bug where if an attack's damage is reduced to 0 by a parry then it shows up as a miss rather than a parry (this is why it looked like only critical hits were parried). A fix should hopefully be out soon :).
  6. Sean Private

Message Count:
    Excellent news, thanks Oscar! Even without the patch, so long as the chances are applying correctly then the visual display doesn't matter quite so much:)
    Oscar likes this.